BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2012 - Voting Closed - Finalists Selected!

What an awesome collection to choose from......but here goes:

Post 2 knife number 6 Rhea
Post 9 knife Knight
Post 59 knife number 2 Lurquin
Post 68 knife number 1 Desrosiers,Gann,Royer and Bobbitt
Post 68 knife number 2 Fisk
Post 92 Lurquin plain carbon steel version

Last edited:
Post 15- Maximus Bowie by Samuel Lurquin
Post 18-#1 nick Wheeler
Post 21-#3 John white
Post 26-#2 rodrigo Hiram
Post 36-Erik markman
Post 37-"Inquisiter" Patrice lemee
Post 65-#4 David Lisch

all off the knives in this thread are works of art

dcv69

1) I assume you mean Post 9 Knife 1 - Knight (since there is no knife 9 in that post)

2) Post 92 contains two different Lurquin knives - which one are you voting for?

Lurking and enjoying this. Click the links to see the knives.

#2 / #1 - Dave Lisch - Dragon's Bowie - The proportions, materials, and the skills clearly make this a contender.

#2 / #3 - Jerry Fisk - Trail of Tears - A textbook example of classic lines, along with a steel pattern that I can't take my eyes off.

#3 / #2 - Stuart Branson - Oak Bowie - It's got just the right amount of 'primitive' and complexity. Fascinating.

#20 / #1 - Joe Keeslar - 50th Anniversary - If you needed a full dress example of a classic Bowie Knife, there isn't one more profound.

#59 / #2 - Sam Lurquin - Wood with hamon - His are all similarly aggressive, but this one has a little understatement that I like.

#69 / #1 - Mike Quesenberry - Coffin Fighter - This one steps out of the traditional box with that KILLER grind and blade. So substantial.

#70 / #1 - Mike Ruth Jr. - Stag/damascus/S-guard - Every proportion is clear, and every area is filled with upper craftsmanship. Ready for the finals.

Good luck!

So many knives, so little time. But, here goes.

Post 2, No. 1 Dave Lisch Wizardry fro sure.

Post 2, No. 4 Don Hanson Long, lean and mean

Post 2, No. 7 Sam Lurquin 'Sambad'

Post 9, No. 1 Jason Knight Best Beast

Post 17, No. 1 Don Hanson Has all of Don's elements

Post 21, No. 3 John White Eli's delight, for sure

Post 92, No. 2 Sam Lurquin Great design, awesome hamon

Thanks to all involved, again. Going to be a great finish.

- Joe

Lurking and enjoying this. Click the links to see the knives.

#2 / #1 - Dave Lisch - Dragon's Bowie - The proportions, materials, and the skills clearly make this a contender.

#2 / #3 - Jerry Fisk - Trail of Tears - A textbook example of classic lines, along with a steel pattern that I can't take my eyes off.

#3 / #2 - Stuart Branson - Oak Bowie - It's got just the right amount of 'primitive' and complexity. Fascinating.

#20 / #1 - Joe Keeslar - 50th Anniversary - If you needed a full dress example of a classic Bowie Knife, there isn't one more profound.

#59 / #2 - Sam Lurquin - Wood with hamon - His are all similarly aggressive, but this one has a little understatement that I like.

#69 / #1 - Mike Quesenberry - Coffin Fighter - This one steps out of the traditional box with that KILLER grind and blade. So substantial.

#70 / #1 - Mike Ruth Jr. - Stag/damascus/S-guard - Every proportion is clear, and every area is filled with upper craftsmanship. Ready for the finals.

Good luck!

this guy gets my vote as 'Best Voter'; the out of the box thinking shown by the use of hyperlinks, the simple lines and clear layout, coupled with a poetic description of why each vote went where, shows me this kid is the whole package!

Seems like every year the knives get better.

Here's my picks:

Post 2, Knife 5, Harvey Dean Dogbone
Post 13, Knife 1, Tim Hancock Dogbone
Post 20, Knife 5, John White Dogbone
Post 20, Knife 7, Rodrigo Sfreddo Integral
Post 26, Knife 1, Jerry Fisk Clamshell Dirk
Post 57, Knife 3 Kevin Casey Feather
Post 70, Knife 1, Mike Ruth Jr. Super Ladder

Jim Treacy

Post #2, Knife #5, Harvey Dean Feather Dogboner

Post #2, Knife #7, Samuel Lurquin Tsavo

Post #9, Knife # 1, Jason Knight Best Blade Show

Post #22, Knife #2, Bruce Bump Hideout Bowie

Post #65, Knife #4, Dave Lisch 1/2 penny guard damascus fighter

Post #69, Knife #4, Ruth Fighter

Post 115, Burt Foster Half Light

May all of you be winners in 2012 and into 2013

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Post 2 : #7 "tsavo" Samuel Lurquin
Post 15 : "Maximus" Samuel Lurquin
Post 19 : "Dragonfly" Samuel Lurquin
Post 37 : "The inquisitor" Patrice lemee
Post 2 : #6 Lin Rhea
Post 9 : #1 "best bowie 2012" Jason Knight
Post 59 : #2 "damascus guard" Samuel Lurquin

Thx all and good luck.

I'm going to rise above my station here and make a comment that is not meant to point at anyone in particular.
Roger and Lorien put a lot of effort into this contest and most of us look forward to it all year long. Definitely
my favorite BF thread which is why I participate.

Let's all make sure this contest remains focused on "Best Bowie" and NOT "Best Friend". Let's not ruin a good thing.

Just sayin',

I'm going to rise above my station here and make a comment that is not meant to point at anyone in particular.
Roger and Lorien put a lot of effort into this contest and most of us look forward to it all year long. Definitely

Let's all make sure this contest remains focused on "Best Bowie" and NOT "Best Friend". Let's not ruin a good thing.

Just sayin',

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.

Marcel

#2 n° 7 tsavo samuel lurquin
#2 n° 5 harvey dean
#9 n°1 jason knight
#20 n°6 kyle royer
#20 n°5 john white d guard
#56 n°4 jerry hossom
#20 n° 1 joe keeslar

Hi.
Heard about the vote, wish to help.
Judgement is purely on shape and "how the material looks".

Post 2...... #7 'Tsavo' - Samuel Lurquin Bowie : Handle has a nice color and the blade itself looks great.
Post 14..... #1 'Autumn' - John White : Clean, good size. Would be my first choice in a shop.
Post 15..... #1 'Maximus' - Samuel Lurquin : Machete look and that outstanding handle.
Post 59..... #2 'Damascus Guard Fighter' - Samuel Lurquin : The light heating mark on the blade and the shape are quite nice to see.
Post 69..... #2 Rhea : I want it. I want it.
Post 94..... #1 'SamChopper' - Samuel Lurquin : Ok, that might sound like a wasted use but cutting my vegetables with that would be just amazing.

There, hope that helped.
Every knife is beautiful, but some are just "too much" for ignorant judges like myself.

Just sayin',

I also HEARTILY agree...it does seem odd to have a surge of first time posters voting predominantly for some select knives??:confused:

Peter

Good luck to all participants!

Wow, SO MANY INCREDIBLE knives. It was hard for me, not owning any knives this fancy, best I could come up with was to save all the ones I liked (third time through the thread) with their post and number, look at them all on my screen and then try and select. And while I really wanted to pick a couple that were san mai as I'm currently obsessed with it, none of my top 7 were (maybe 2013 we'll get more san mai bowies). A couple I remember from when they were posted and one (Ben RT) I really wanted to buy but just don't have the budget I'd like. I don't know if any of mine will end up winning but I'll give a few votes.

1. Post 25 Knife 1, Kyle Royer, Shadow of the West Bowie. This is one that when it was posted on here immediately grabbed me, to me it has wonderful classic lines, beautiful fit and finish, the colors of the fittings compliment each other. the blade is the best part though, that dark finish with the very subtle hamon, it's just fabulous.

2. Post 28 Knife 3, Ben R.T. High Cascade Bowie. Man this was a really hard thing for me to pass on, and now looking back I should have just broke open the piggy bank and bought it. It seemed it was on the classifieds just to taunt me and test my self-control. Simple, classic lines, a fantastic length, and a perfectly matched piece of antler just the right color. A package I'd really be happy owning.

3. Post 70 Knife 1, Mike Ruth Jr. I grew up loving westerns, and always loved knives, this knife probably more than any on the thread would be what my mind would have come up with if I thought "bowie" as a kid. I don't see anything wrong with this knife, it all works together in perfect harmony. And this is my favorite hamon ever, a well executed, subtly displayed even delineation, makes it look more functional than decorative.

4. Post 31 Knife 2, Gary Mulkey There were two knives in this one post that I thought deserved inclusion, this one bumped the other though for being in my humble opinion the best execution of a dog bone handle I've seen. While aesthetically the dogbone is pleasing, its obvious comfort is sacrificed, Gary has managed to combine a great looking shaped with some updated shaping to make something that must feel great in the hand. And a nice wide blade with lots of belly, I love blades like that.

5. Post 68, Knife 6, Lynch My 5 year old daughter also likes this one. What can I saw other than beautiful blade with great lines, amazing pattern in the damascus, and proportionally it's all just amazing, sometimes there's a knife that something isn't quite the right size for the rest of the knife (some makers actually make knives with blades smaller than the handles! course that's not a problem with bowies). Lynch nailed this, in looking at all the pics tiled on the screen my eyes just keep drawing to this knife.

6. Post 26, Knife 2, Rodrigo Sfreddo Hiram Bowie I think this one really speaks for itself, there were more than one of his knives in my short list, the integral handles he does are incredibly elaborate, its almost if the wood grows out of the metal. No idea how he does it. (how about a WIP? ;) )

7. Post 2, Knife 5, Harvey Dean Ok, this was all very hard for me, in the end this was another one that I just couldn't stop going back to. The damascus is incredible, the color of the ivory is magnificent, I love the little touches in the blade (the step at the back of the clip, the little decorative thingy (sorry guys, novice) at the back edge of the blade. Just a gorgeous knife that I notice something else about every time I look at it.

Good luck all!

Thanks guys for organizing this!

Red

Just sayin',

I have to agree...
Is this really possible? 2 "different" people who joined this month, have 1 post each and they are identical (as in "cut and paste") except for the wording of the last line??? #211 and #217 Something fishy? If not then so be it but lets not ruin the spirit of this contest.

Thx all and good luck.

Good luck to all participants!

good catch Stu, wtf is up with that?

I'm tempted to cancel those votes, but it's Roger's call.

there's no need for that kind of thing in this.

this is no earth shattering event, (not that the magnitude of it should make a difference with regards to ethical behaviour) and that kind of surreptitious bs is totally uncalled for.

Back