Photos Blades on Hikes

Headed out into redwood national park with 2” of rain forecasted. Decided to bring my Manix 2xl along, my first nice knife.

851DD329-027A-4D73-99A6-C9891EE51305.jpeg7DCA5082-B926-4968-A3EE-D22FD30FF115.jpeg44F35F2B-3DC9-4C1C-B591-DD2EFC9B51F2.jpeg
This one is completely burned out but the top half is still thriving.
4A405292-2098-4A41-B048-727BF98EB72A.jpegE3A7D64B-51ED-4947-81BF-98E789176EA2.jpeg656C5DE1-312B-482A-BDEC-78033AECEB34.jpeg

These are the tallest trees, if we have any members in central CA let’s add some pictures of the largest(sequoia) and oldest(bristlecone).

It wasn't as warm as a couple of days ago, but still... Anyways, it still looks like winter apart from the fact that there is no snow

7TCQn1B.png

zjmN2td.png

7cZwFGp.png

I went on a hike with this knife Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer 's doing a pass around with

If you get to wrestle or kill any alligators, my teen daughter said she wants a tooth...ha seriously, she said That. :0

*Gorgous view!!!!
I've seen YouTube videos of people hiking miles, and miles, and miles of shin deep hiking trails in some lonely swamp way down there.... The camp site would be a ten foot diameter of a bump that was the Only dry high ground. Yikes.

Last edited:
If you get to wrestle or kill any alligators, my teen daughter said she wants a tooth...ha seriously, she said That. :0

*Gorgous view!!!!
I've seen YouTube videos of people hiking miles, and miles, and miles of shin deep hiking trails in some lonely swamp way down there.... The camp site would be a ten foot diameter of a bump that was the Only dry high ground. Yikes.
Maybe a little late for your daughters request 😂 Pic incoming in the pass around thread...

Yeah lol, I've done some of that hiking in the swamp were there are no trails, boy do you gotta stay alert!

Interesting! Could you tell me more about that? I thought that serrations are bad at chopping wood or whittling. In fact, the only thing I think serrations cut better than plain edge is flesh (animal or human). Am I wrong?
sorry for the late reply, no you are not wrong, I may just have my own scenarios, during my recent 1 year outdoor activities, the usage of chopping wood or whittling is less than cutting rope or big sandwiches, so I said that.
BTW, years ago I asked question about Serrated edge or Plain edge, I remember some friends in this forum said (something like): plain edge can do everything serrated edge does, serrated edge has its own features, but cannot do everything plain edge does.

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply, no you are not wrong, I may just have my own scenarios, during my recent 1 year outdoor activities, the usage of chopping wood or whittling is less than cutting rope or big sandwiches, so I said that.
BTW, years ago I asked question about Serrated edge or Plain edge, I remember some friends in this forum said (something like): plain edge can do everything serrated edge does, serrated edge has its own feature, but cannot do everything plain edge does.

Yeah, right. The plain edge is much more universal. There is nothing you can cut with serrations and can't cut with a plain edge. I have only one fully serrated knife (I'm not talking about kitchen knives now, they are just not my cup of tea).

Yeah, right. The plain edge is much more universal. There is nothing you can cut with serrations and can't cut with a plain edge. I have only one fully serrated knife (I'm not talking about kitchen knives now, they are just not my cup of tea).
so in my recent light (1 day) climbings / hikings, half-half edge (sorry I don't know how to call it being like a real blade fan😅) is my most favourite.
Though I bring it every time, cutting sandwiches is the only job to do (besides taking photo), to do other jobs I don't really use it very often as it's precious to me (and hard to sharp).

1089.png

Last edited:
I don't know how to call it being like a real blade fan😅

Partial serration? Combo?

Not a fan of partial serrations. I recently bought a fully serrated Cold Steel's Black Talon, so I think if it's serrated it has to be serrated, if it's plain let it be a hundred percent plain. The main reason I don't like partial serrations is because if I need to whittle or do some other fine work I do it with the part of the blade which is closer to my hand, that is serrations.

Partial serration? Combo?

Not a fan of partial serrations. I recently bought a fully serrated Cold Steel's Black Talon, so I think if it's serrated it has to be serrated, if it's plain let it be a hundred percent plain. The main reason I don't like partial serrations is because if I need to whittle or do some other fine work I do it with the part of the blade which is closer to my hand, that is serrations.

Agreed, feels same, that's a problems, especially in those short-blade-length knives.

any members in central CA let’s add some pictures of the largest(sequoia)

This is the largest tree in my area.
e08242d1-3c3b-4889-ad4d-2ab271663deb-jpeg.1731957

It’s called the “Candelabra Tree” and it recently survived the massive CZU Complex fire which took out thousands of Sequoias. You can still see the scorch marks… (and if you look closely you can see my H&B Forge tomahawk).

ETA: I just looked up “Candelabra Tree” online and it didn’t work to find the tree. If you’re interested in seeing it in person, it’s a fairly short but steep hike up the Candelabra Trail at Butano State Park in Pescadero, CA. About 1-1.5 miles up from the trailhead the ground flattens out and there’s a small trail off to the left that leads to the tree. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
This is the largest tree in my area.
e08242d1-3c3b-4889-ad4d-2ab271663deb-jpeg.1731957

It’s called the “Candelabra Tree” and it recently survived the massive CZU Complex fire which took out thousands of Sequoias. You can still see the scorch marks… (and if you look closely you can see my H&B Forge tomahawk).
thanks for sharing

Back