Blades upon Books - Traditionals

Read this book last week. The film Forrest Gump based on this book is one of my favorites; I've watched it numerous times. This was my first time reading the book. IMHO, the movie version is very different from the book, and is FAR better than the novel. That's unusual for me. In most cases that I've experienced a story in both film and print forms, I've liked the book better than the movie. Forrest Gump is certainly an exception.
groom.forrestgump.jpeg

- GT

Read this book last week. The film Forrest Gump based on this book is one of my favorites; I've watched it numerous times. This was my first time reading the book. IMHO, the movie version is very different from the book, and is FAR better than the novel. That's unusual for me. In most cases that I've experienced a story in both film and print forms, I've liked the book better than the movie. Forrest Gump is certainly an exception.
View attachment 2434067

- GT
Forrest Gump is one of those "they don't make that kind of movies anymore" movie. Classic for sure.

Shane, Burnt Offerings, Don't Look Now, and the Duellists, are my movies that I think are better than their books.
ODYauEv.jpg

Julia might have allowed stainless knives by 1989. All she says on the subject is to have "knives that are sharp".
Case XX and Henckels/Zwilling.
The Henckels was on closeout. Maybe I'm not the only one who thinks that the handle feels like they put it on upside down.

View attachment 2434067

- GT

I’ve heard the same thing about that one before, GT. It’s always interesting when you find out a popular film was based on a book and you had no idea. Die Hard is one of my favorite Christmas movies, and didn’t know until recently that it was based on a book.

I just started this one today. I’ve read Krakauer’s Into the Wild several times (great movie and book), and have been meaning to read this one, but never got around to it.

QqX1nPV.jpg

I’ve heard the same thing about that one before, GT. It’s always interesting when you find out a popular film was based on a book and you had no idea. Die Hard is one of my favorite Christmas movies, and didn’t know until recently that it was based on a book.

I just started this one today. I’ve read Krakauer’s Into the Wild several times (great movie and book), and have been meaning to read this one, but never got around to it.

QqX1nPV.jpg
I read In to Thin Air several years ago. Its a good read.

Here's a book I read recently after first hearing about it in this thread. It's the latest Earl Swagger (not to be confused with his son Bob Lee Swagger) book from author Stephen Hunter. If you can suspend disbelief and buy into the idea that Marine sergeant Earl could have been pulled out of the Pacific theater in WWII to pose as an Army major in Europe working with OSS and British intelligence to find a way to keep German snipers from bogging down the Allies' Normandy invasion in its early days, it's a compelling tale IMHO. Some of the double (triple? quadruple?) agent stuff going on with the spies was way too convoluted for me to figure out though.

Since a lot of the book's action took place among the hedgerows of France, I put a bunch of French knives in my photo of the book.
hunter.bulletgarden.jpeg

- GT

New used books in yesterday's mail 🤓
View attachment 2471672
Mike, it's nice to see an Alex McKnight novel in your pic! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I haven't read anything by Steve Hamilton recently, but my wife first started reading the Alex McKnight series one summer when we were Up North and she found that the Le Cheneaux Community Library in Cedarville had all the books in the series at that time. I eventually started reading them, too. Both she and I thought it was cool to read about Alex driving between Paradise and The Soo, which we had done frequently over the years. Several of the novels were set in places in the eastern UP that we had visited sometime over the 30+ years we've been going up there. I should reread the entire series.

(Another series we discovered in the public library in Cedarville was the the Woods Cop novels by Joseph Heywood. The library has them all since they feature Grady Service, a Michigan DNR officer assigned to territory in the UP. I think the books are pretty interesting. Have you ever read any of them?)

- GT

Mike, it's nice to see an Alex McKnight novel in your pic! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I haven't read anything by Steve Hamilton recently, but my wife first started reading the Alex McKnight series one summer when we were Up North and she found that the Le Cheneaux Community Library in Cedarville had all the books in the series at that time. I eventually started reading them, too. Both she and I thought it was cool to read about Alex driving between Paradise and The Soo, which we had done frequently over the years. Several of the novels were set in places in the eastern UP that we had visited sometime over the 30+ years we've been going up there. I should reread the entire series.

(Another series we discovered in the public library in Cedarville was the the Woods Cop novels by Joseph Heywood. The library has them all since they feature Grady Service, a Michigan DNR officer assigned to territory in the UP. I think the books are pretty interesting. Have you ever read any of them?)

- GT
I haven't read any of the Heywood books, but he is on my list of authors to investigate. Books set in the U.P. are fairly rare. I have another three Alex Mcknight books coming. I think that I will have read all of them after I read those.

I haven't read any of the Heywood books, but he is on my list of authors to investigate. Books set in the U.P. are fairly rare. I have another three Alex Mcknight books coming. I think that I will have read all of them after I read those.
I looked online this morning, and since I last read a McKnight book (pretty sure it was Let It Burn from your photo), Hamilton has written a couple more that I hadn't noticed. Better add them to my "For Later Shelf" at the local public library!

- GT

Back