Blades upon Books - Traditionals

R RobbW Yes thanks and I agree but most societies in the world these days seem to prefer to make pupils in schools&students in Uni pass exams blindly and not to think for themselves:rolleyes:

The knife was a present from Jolipapa Jolipapa and I'm really pleased with it. Horn handles are beautifully done, no warp or shrink with these, brass liners, carbon. PRADEL France. Opens out completely straight, no droop(cant) and strong lock up no play at all. 9.5cm/3.75" closed.:thumbsup:

It’s a beautiful knife. I really like the look of the horn handles! Thanks for the info.

Another Pradel, a smaller, maker unknown (Thiers or around), and Roland Dorgelès, another writer who writes about WWI and its absurdity.

View attachment 1177158

Will Power Will Power your knife is a P3 if IIRC, there are four sizes, P4, P3, PP and...? don't remember. Since I found her it was destined for you, but I procrastinated somewhat before sending the parcel. ;)
I think GR still makes them.

I hadn’t heard of Roland Dorgelès. I’ll see if he is translated into English. And thanks for the further info on the knife!

In Ireland recently so figured I would carry this Irish Imperial. It is an excellent travel knife. A linerless 3.125" at 0.65 oz is very light in the pocket. Steel holds a decent edge and the four dollars it cost me won't hurt so much if it is lost or taken from me.
Vacationing means lots of reading. I do love a good expedition account. Not all the way through this one but very much enjoying it.
rPYD3vN.jpg

I finished Foundation and Empire yesterday. Great suspense story! I remember how surprised I was by the ending when I first read it 50 years ago. I'm now reading Second Foundation, the third book of Asimov's original trilogy. It's also very enjoyable. I just finished reading Part I, which is kind of a continuation of the end of the second book in the trilogy, and it involved some kind of "quintuple cross" among parties that could read one another's minds (or at least emotions) - way too complex for me to anticipate the outcome!
F4.foundation and empire.jpg

- GT

I finished Foundation and Empire yesterday. Great suspense story! I remember how surprised I was by the ending when I first read it 50 years ago. I'm now reading Second Foundation, the third book of Asimov's original trilogy. It's also very enjoyable. I just finished reading Part I, which is kind of a continuation of the end of the second book in the trilogy, and it involved some kind of "quintuple cross" among parties that could read one another's minds (or at least emotions) - way too complex for me to anticipate the outcome!
View attachment 1178209

- GT
Now I am intrigued. Haven't read Asimov in many years, and never read the Foundation series. May just read it for fun. My daughter is going to take a literature class in science fiction, and I believe one of Asimov's Foundation books is on the list to read.

Love that blade, Gary. Would have expected a sheepsfoot, but that spear looks great.

View attachment 1178209

- GT
A man of your word, you're chugging right through them. :cool::thumbsup:

Now I am intrigued. Haven't read Asimov in many years, and never read the Foundation series. May just read it for fun. My daughter is going to take a literature class in science fiction, and I believe one of Asimov's Foundation books is on the list to read.

Love that blade, Gary. Would have expected a sheepsfoot, but that spear looks great.
I'll bet you'd enjoy the original Foundation trilogy, Vince. :thumbsup::thumbsup: One of the things I'm enjoying is that, although the stories are set thousands of years in the future, some things are unchanged from the 1940s and 1950s when the novels were written. For example, the court system seems very similar to what we currently have (or at least to popular conceptions of the current system). And almost everyone uses tobacco (although they have atomic ashtrays for disposal), and women are very much an "underclass".

I'm also very impressed with the way Asimov used some later novels to tie together into a single "history" his earlier robot short stories and novels and his Foundation trilogy.

Thanks for the knife compliment. :) That Cannon knife was one of a trilogy I bought for about 12 bucks. They're surprisingly good knives, IMHO. And you'll be gratified to know that one of them does have a sheepsfoot blade! :thumbsup::cool:
3.sailors.in.box.jpg

- GT

Yesterday I finished the third novel, Second Foundation, in Asimov's original Foundation series. That third novel did NOT seem at all familiar to me; I wonder if I'd never read it before. There are still 2 Foundation "sequels" to read before I finish my summer reading challenge to myself.
F3-F5.foundation.trilogy.jpg

- GT

Back