Blades upon Books - Traditionals

UA5ARD5.jpg

fAZHEyR.jpg

I was thinking of making a post in the Beverages and Blades thread, but I sat on my back porch this evening without my iPhone (my usual camera), sipping on Laphroaig, smoking an Arturo Fuente Spanish Lonsdale, and reading the above pictured paperback. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the ever present technology of today's world. And I can't compete with @Pàdruig's photos there. Dylan has impeccable taste in whisky, cigars, and pocket knives. I also enjoy @tmd_87's posts, although Taylor often posts pics of new funky, weird fruity beers (and sometimes Miller High Life). And I love @Jack Black's taste in barley beverages--single malts and beers. And those Rusty Nails! Gotta get some Drambuie soon.

So I am posting in one of my other favourite threads. The knife is a Thiers Nature by Fontenille Pataud, which has been in my pocket most of the day. (The other knife of the day is my Opinel No. 8.) But to focus on the book: I am rereading this wonderful short novel, punlished in 1962. A film based on it came out in 1963, starring Sydney Poitier, who won the Best Actor Oscar that year. The film was nominated for Best Picture. I remember seeing the film in the mid-1960's in a motel room in San Antonio with my parents. Powerful film. This is a heartwarming book that I think would appeal to most people. Highly recommended. Read about a third of it on the porch, with my Lab, and enjoying the sunset. Just made a hot, steaming cup of black coffee, and will probably finish it tonight.

21ivOpyh.jpg

This book about the Lewis and Clark expedition has been given to my wife's grandfather by a U.S. soldier in 1944.
Three other soldiers wrote their names and addresses on the first page.

cFTALnXh.jpg

I've made some search but only found a death notice concerning someone called Trinidad P. Cantu at the age of 93 in 2013 at Houston, Texas. Could be him.

My wife and me treasure this book.

Dan.

21ivOpyh.jpg

This book about the Lewis and Clark expedition has been given to my wife's grandfather by a U.S. soldier in 1944.
Three other soldiers wrote their names and addresses on the first page.

cFTALnXh.jpg

I've made some search but only found a death notice concerning someone called Trinidad P. Cantu at the age of 93 in 2013 at Houston, Texas. Could be him.

My wife and me treasure this book.

Dan.
Very cool.

Cihjg4d.jpg

One of the best books of the 20th century.
I'm a big Tolkien fan, as you might infer from my BF name. Truly a wonderful escape and well told tales.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm revisiting this book on Nessmuk. I picked up a copy for my youngest son, along with a Boker Plus Nessmi for Christmas. He and his wife and kids are headed to the Adirondacks right after Christmas for a few days. Maybe he'll sit by the fire and read a little of it and make a fuzz stick in Nessmuk's honor.
71jS0eW.jpg

I'm a big Tolkien fan, as you might infer from my BF name. Truly a wonderful escape and well told tales.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm revisiting this book on Nessmuk. I picked up a copy for my youngest son, along with a Boker Plus Nessmi for Christmas. He and his wife and kids are headed to the Adirondacks right after Christmas for a few days. Maybe he'll sit by the fire and read a little of it and make a fuzz stick in Nessmuk's honor.
71jS0eW.jpg
Ah, yes: Peregrin and Meriadoc. Great characters. Read The Lord of the Rings three times through: in my teens, in my 20's, and in my 40's. Thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

That Nessmuk book looks interesting. Heading to a used bookstore this afternoon--mayne they'll have a copy.

Back