Bladeshow West?

I just did a quick google search and it came up with this

People also ask

Can you sell ivory in Utah?

As of the 2016 National Strategy on Wildlife Trafficking law, it is illegal to sell ivory although there are some exceptions to the law. There are several pre-existing ivory items that fall under an ESA antiques exemption which can be sold within a person's state: Items must contain no more than 200 grams of ivory.

Guide to Selling Ivory Antiques Legally | LoveToKnow​

https://antiques.lovetoknow.com › antique-price-guides

Search
I don't see anything in that article about Utah. Oh well.

I don't see anything in that article about Utah. Oh well.
I believe this is a Federal Law.

I have two pieces of Ivory that I inherited from my Mother, who inherited them from her older brother. While I don't have any desire to sell them, according to what I read in the article, I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to.

I believe this is a Federal Law.

I have two pieces of Ivory that I inherited from my Mother, who inherited them from her older brother. While I don't have any desire to sell them, according to what I read in the article, I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to.
That pertains to elephant ivory, not mammoth or other species. I searched Google pretty thorougly and only found a few states that restrict any ivory. I didn't see any mention of UT.

That pertains to elephant ivory, not mammoth or other species. I searched Google pretty thorougly and only found a few states that restrict any ivory. I didn't see any mention of UT.
Interesting. I assumed we were talking about elephant ivory.

I support any effort that protects both elephants and mammoths from extinction.

Yes, switchblade are illegal in CA. But that point really is mute considering assisted opening knives are legal. Just no knives with a button on the handle.

Ballistic and Gravity knives are illegal as well.

If California is not "knife friendly" the what are they selling at all the knife shows here? Oh BTW they have switch blades at these knife shows as well as they are legal for law enforcement to use.
I once had to pay a $500 fine for having a $7 flea market balisong in my car. Thus my dislike of places with strict'ish knife laws. I've also owned cane swords, pen-knives, nunchaku, and belt buckle knives throughout my life. According to KnifeUp, these are still illegal in CA.

You are correct about the spring assisted knives now being legal. Overturned in 2012 by the state appeals court. It seems a lot of anti-CA places still spread old infomation regarding this. This is good to know.

I once had to pay a $500 fine for having a $7 flea market balisong in my car. Thus my dislike of places with strict'ish knife laws. I've also owned cane swords, pen-knives, nunchaku, and belt buckle knives throughout my life. According to KnifeUp, these are still illegal in CA.

You are correct about the spring assisted knives now being legal. Overturned in 2012 by the state appeals court. It seems a lot of anti-CA places still spread old infomation regarding this. This is good to know.
It looks like Iowa shares the no Ballistic knife law.

I see in Iowa you can not conceal carry a folder longer then 5".

In CA we can conceal carry a folder longer then 5".

So we see all is not free

It looks like Iowa shares the no Ballistic knife law.

I see in Iowa you can not conceal carry a folder longer then 5".

In CA we can conceal carry a folder longer then 5".

So we see all is not free
We weren't discussing Iowa, or Texas. We're talking about how many knives are illegal in CA that are fine in Utah. More importantly, how many makers can't legally sell their knives in CA, but have no problems in Utah.

Balisongs, lots of them in Atlanta last weekend. I also saw cane swords, pen knives, automatics, lots of things illegal in CA. That's the point of this, not how big of a knife you can carry concealed in Texas.

I've never attended Blade Show either, so at 1/3 the size, would flying across the country to have a table be worth it? I know most serious makers attend Blade Show for obvious reasons, but the fact that a lot fewer attend West/Texas makes me think I might be better off waiting until next year's Blade Show. Not really looking to sell, just hoping to increase my exposure and in return get more future customers.
This was my 4th Atlanta Bladeshow, 3rd exhibiting.
One thing that most people don't tell is that selling there if you are unknown or don't have a following (IE social networks) its not a walk in the park.
Yes, a ton of people visits the show, but a small fraction of them will stop and look what you have in the table. Yes, even if you greet everyone.
The gamechanger is finding resellers, I work with Bladegallery and they buy almost everything I bring to the table, there are many others I heard or simply didn't meet. If you do your homework and spot them on the show, a very good idea is to invite them to your table to check your work, this can make a huge difference.

Photos of my table on day 1 and day 2 :cool:

Pablo

PAOS7iz.png

qMdzGZ3.png

vppcnp1.png

Personally i'd avoid this show now for at least a couple years and then only if it stays in same location for ALL of those years. If it had stayed in a location Blade west coulda been a good show. But 3rd move in 4 years, lets be honest, this thing is not long for this world. And Utah i guess is as good a place as any for it to die off. Portland wasnt too bad, i went both times and it had decent action. Missed long beach due to Covid, but i heard it was fairly well attended even for being during peak of Pandemic. Its a shame they bailed after 1 year and moved it to what can easily be called a flyover location. More population within 50 miles of Long Beach than 1,000 miles of Salt Lake City. I can't imagine sales will be even close to as good in the near or long term as keeping it in long beach woulda been. Just not enough people, far less income, and far harder to get to than one of the largest airports on earth was. Least they coulda done was move it to Vegas, but nope. This thing is goin for tumbleweeds.

Salt lake city is actually a pretty cool town... And there is a LOT of money there. You're right about population size though.

Yes, switchblade are illegal in CA. But that point really is mute considering assisted opening knives are legal. Just no knives with a button on the handle.

Ballistic and Gravity knives are illegal as well.

But other then that we have pretty good knife laws. We can open carry a Bowie knife or even a sword in public, and saying "it is not knife friendly" is not true. For a couple types of knives, sure they are not friendly, I guess if you wanted to carry a switchblade or gravity or ballistic knife sure you may be a little buttered over that. But the vast majority of knives it is friendly.

When you consider it was illegal to carry a Bowie knife for years up until 2017 in Texas, but could in California, people were not saying "Texas is not knife friendly"

If California is not "knife friendly" the what are they selling at all the knife shows here? Oh BTW they have switch blades at these knife shows as well as they are legal for law enforcement to use.
So you guys are saying all the California legal autos we Californians use are now illegal? WTF!

Personally i'd avoid this show now for at least a couple years and then only if it stays in same location for ALL of those years. If it had stayed in a location Blade west coulda been a good show. But 3rd move in 4 years, lets be honest, this thing is not long for this world. And Utah i guess is as good a place as any for it to die off. Portland wasnt too bad, i went both times and it had decent action. Missed long beach due to Covid, but i heard it was fairly well attended even for being during peak of Pandemic. Its a shame they bailed after 1 year and moved it to what can easily be called a flyover location. More population within 50 miles of Long Beach than 1,000 miles of Salt Lake City. I can't imagine sales will be even close to as good in the near or long term as keeping it in long beach woulda been. Just not enough people, far less income, and far harder to get to than one of the largest airports on earth was. Least they coulda done was move it to Vegas, but nope. This thing is goin for tumbleweeds.
The Salt Lake International Airport is probably one of the easiest to get to in the country.

For one, there is direct public transport from the airport to downtown Salt Lake. And there have been many recent improvements to both the airport and local transportation hubs.

There are 3.5 million people in Utah, and 80 % of them live along the Wasatch Front; which includes Salt Lake City and it's outlying suburbs. I think that's a plenty big population. Especially since a large proportion of the population here hunt and have other outdoor interests.

As far as income goes, Salt Lake City is no different than any other large city. Wages are on a par with any other major city.

I think many people see Utah and Salt Lake City as a backwater town. That may have been true thirty years ago, but not anymore.

The Salt Lake International Airport is probably one of the easiest to get to in the country.

For one, there is direct public transport from the airport to downtown Salt Lake. And there have been many recent improvements to both the airport and local transportation hubs.

There are 3.5 million people in Utah, and 80 % of them live along the Wasatch Front; which includes Salt Lake City and it's outlying suburbs. I think that's a plenty big population. Especially since a large proportion of the population here hunt and have other outdoor interests.

As far as income goes, Salt Lake City is no different than any other large city. Wages are on a par with any other major city.

I think many people see Utah and Salt Lake City as a backwater town. That may have been true thirty years ago, but not anymore.
Best 2 reasons to go to SLC is #1 Eat at the Red Iguana #2 Blade Show West.

Best 2 reasons to go to SLC is #1 Eat at the Red Iguana #2 Blade Show West.
Their museum of natural history is pretty frickin' epic too, of you like dinosaurs at least...

Their museum of natural history is pretty frickin' epic too, of you like dinosaurs at least...
I have a lot of family that lives there and they were taught "Dinosaurs were placed there by the devil to trick us" on one side of the BYU campus and on the other side they have a great Paleontology dept and museum. LOL

Ahhh Utah.

Yes, but compared to LAX? SLC is closer to me, but costs twice as much to fly to. LA metro had massive edge here over SLC for cost, and ease of getting to. Plus the added perk of drawing in international collectors and makers. Lot easier to get someone from anywhere in the pacific rim to LA than it is to SLC.

As for population, 3.5m for an entire state is, lets be honest here, small pickens. LA Metro alone is over 13million people. with over 25 million within days drive. SLC isnt even close to that. and is surrounded by, nothing. You gotta drive a day or two to reach anything larger. And niche collector shows are a numbers game. if 1 in 10,000 people attend a local show, it matters when your adding 10-20 million people to the potential attendee pool.

For income, yes SLC has slightly above average income. But its nowhere near the F you money LA plays with. SLC your getting the i own a Mercedes and my house is paid off money. LA your getting the own i 5 lambos, and have 4 houses on 3 continents money.

Dont get me wrong, i dont think SLC is backwater town. Im just not under any illusion that its even in the same ballpark as LA is. Los Angeles is a world city, a Metropolis, a place literally everyone on earth knows of, and is one of the biggest travel destinations on the planet. SLC? yeah, not so much. Thats why im so saddened to see the show move there. Just cant compete, and a ton of makers i know are bailing as it doesnt have enough upsides compared to other shows. Blade west had a chance to be a major show with long beach. Now, its just another regional show for locals to drive an hour or two to hit up.

Back