1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Blast Flipper

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by raylaconico, Jun 21, 2012.

1. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Here's a new flipper I just finished. The blade is D2 steel, 3 7/8" long, opened is 8 7/8". I really like the way it looks but I need to make minor changes to the design before I'm completely happy with it. This one is staying with me as my new EDC. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    -Ray Laconico

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spinerazor

Spinerazor

Mar 30, 2012
    That looks amazing! as do all the knives you've made that i have seen, not that i'll ever be able to afford one but i can still appreciate looking at them!

3. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I like it a lot. I see you put your maker's mark in a different spot. I always liked it on the spine actually. That's a minor gripe though. I really like the clean lines of the thing.

4. benzology

benzology

Jan 19, 2011
    Ray - stunning!

I watch with interest as your knives get snapped up quickly every time... looking forward to seeing the next version.

5. Subtracterall

Subtracterall

Aug 5, 2009
    Amazing! I was hoping you'd post this for sale and have been checking the forum 20+ times a day...

6. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Subtracterall, this one won't be sold. I need to make one small change to the design to make it better before I start selling them. It will be a week or two before I have one for sale.

Thanks guys.

7. jmsodpc

jmsodpc

Jun 2, 2011
    What is the weight?

8. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Weight is 5.2 oz

9. gundude73

gundude73

Oct 6, 2009
    That looks awesome! Does it have the bearing pivot?

10. dcmartin

dcmartin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Great looking blade... It looks pretty slim, i bet it almost disappears in the front pocket. The scales look like they have a slight radius to them instead of being flat? What is the thickness of the blade including the scales?

Keep up the great work, I'm a fan for sure.

11. Subtracterall

Subtracterall

Aug 5, 2009
    Sounds good. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

12. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Matt, this particular one doesn't have bearings since it was a "draft" work in progress. The final ones will have bearings and a slightly thicker (.155" instead of .135") blade to accomodate the bearings.

dcmartin, the scales are contoured and the thickest part of the handle is around 5/8", not including the pocket clip.

13. jmsodpc

jmsodpc

Jun 2, 2011
    Is this one of your $99 summertime specials?

:)

14. Subtracterall

Subtracterall

Aug 5, 2009
    I bet it's going to look great with some use. Can you post some pics when the blasted finish gets some wear?

15. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    It's going to take some time before it shows much wear but I'll post pics!

Here's the revised version with the flipper pushed back. The Flipper, index finger groove, plunge grind and edge are all pushed back with the flipper being back about 1/4" from before. What do you think?

[​IMG]

16. Subtracterall

Subtracterall

Aug 5, 2009
    That is so perfect.

17. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    Awesome.. PM when you are ready to sell some.

18. jball1125

jball1125

Aug 26, 2011
    That is a sweet knife!

19. dcmartin

dcmartin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Digging the new lines....

Rear grind line with less ricasso and the wider blade flat are going to make the blade look much sleeker. Loving the new swedge too.... Don't know how much detent pressure you have but definitely a fan of the flipper having a little fwd arc. Can't wait to see the finished product.

20. Myker

Myker Banned BANNED

Feb 5, 2011
    When and how much??!!??

Friggin smokin design!