1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Augie, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Hoping to get a thread going where everyone can post pictures of knives, documentation, links to information on Bob Cargill and Cripple Creek knives. I've searched the forum and unfortunately a lot of pictures have been lost and links are dead. I think these knives are important enough to traditional knife collectors that we need to keep the information going for future collectors.

From what I understand Bob started out by doing repair work for Case and making custom knives before opening Cripple Creek Cutlery in 1981, I'm thinking this Barlow with just Cargill on the tang and the number 95 on the back of the tang may be one of the early custom made knives. really a beautifully made knife, great stag and a spear blade profile that looks a lot like the spear on the late 1800's English Barlows.

IMG_8509.jpg IMG_8510.jpg IMG_8511.jpg IMG_8512.jpg

2. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    This Barlow is a club knife from Cripple Creek Knives, this one appears to be limited to 30 knives. This one came in a box marked in pen with the knife description and had an insert in the box. Really nice jigging that I understand Bob did by hand.

IMG_8501.jpg IMG_8502.jpg IMG_8503.jpg IMG_8506.jpg IMG_8507.jpg

3. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I hesitated on a Cripple Creek Eureka jack over on AAPK that's gone now. Should have grabbed it, but I was ignorant about the value. Bob made them by hand himself, and that's just awesome. They look really fine.

Augie likes this.
  4. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    This one is another Club knife made in 1987 for Knife World magazine, it's a large moose with hand jigged handles,

IMG_8514.jpg IMG_8515.jpg IMG_8516.jpg

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice bunch you are posting, Augie. I had a couple but traded them away, mostly.:(
    I always liked these Barlows because they carry my initials!:) I still have one of them.
    The "Uncle" Barlow is a pre-CrippleCreek Cargill. CrippleCreekBarlows.jpg Cargill Big Barlow.jpg

6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I like the spear and swedge on those barlows! I'm not usually a spear point fan, but those look extra pointy to me for some reason.

7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I'm pretty sure they were made under Bill Howard's leadership - at Queen!

mrknife and Augie like this.
  8. warrenwrench

warrenwrench Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2014
    I'll leave my entry here. Great thread.
    [​IMG]

9. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    Nice ones guys, the Queen made ones are from after Bob sold the company from what I understand and are well made knives. The shape of the spear blade is very close to the original Knife World spear.

Charlie, that Uncle Barlow is a great knife and probably a better size for use and cary than a Granddaddy Barlow, it has very eye pleasing proportions to it.

Couple of Queen Cripple Creeks,

IMG_8125.jpg IMG_8128.jpg

The Fort, peanutsxx, tmd_87 and 4 others like this.
  10. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    I have a friend up by Monett, Mo. who wanted to learn how to make pocket knives. He approached Bob and was turned down. Later he got a call from Bob who told him to come to his shop. Bob had the contract for the 4000 Knife World first knives and was behind. My friend learned on the job helping to finish the last of that group.

11. Bugdoc

Bugdoc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Charlie, your top 2 are Effingham IL knives. That would have been during the Blackjack period, correct? Was Queen under contract with Blackjack at that time?

12. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Some nice looking knives here! Unfortunately I do not have any pi to contribute...

13. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    neat, they come in single blade!

14. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Here’s my only Cripple Creek. Very stout feeling knife.

AED7AE3D-C979-4CBC-88EA-265471A5776D.jpeg

mrknife, warrenwrench and peanutsxx like this.
  15. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    I have a few Cripple Creeks. And yes, the barlows with the CC and arrow were made by Queen when Black Jack (Effingham stamp) was producing a few patterns of Cripple Creeks.
    Cargill got his trademark back when Black Jack folded and continued to make more Cripple Creeks. Cargill didn't have hardly any "hands on' dealings with the CC's with the Effingham stamp
    after he put together the protoypes of 5 or 6 patterns Most of which were never produced thru Black Jack. The large Buffalo Skinner is about the only original Cargill pattern that was produced.
    Greg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  16. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Few more. Some of the images were taken years ago with a point and shoot camera and aren't as quite as detailed as others.
    Greg

Some Copperheads

[​IMG]

Banana Trappers

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saddlehorn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Augie

Aug 23, 2014

Greg, thanks for posting, that Saddlehorn is fantastic.

18. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Here's a few more.

The Firestone Barlow with 10 carat gold shield. A Sowrat or Muskbelly. Notice the curve in the barlow. It keeps the tang from snagging in your pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Few more.
    Greg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cargill called his reddish bone Strawberry.

[​IMG]

Fodderwing, FLymon, peanutsxx and 3 others like this.
  20. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    A few Cripple Creek Barlows that were made by Bob Cargill. Notice the sunken tang on the Barlow without the curved frame.
    I've got a few more but I don't want to bore you guys.
    Greg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Fodderwing, Half/Stop, Bugdoc and 6 others like this.