Boker Apparo: Newton Martin Designed Hollow Handle Survival Knife

This will probably be the next knife that I buy, except to get the longer blasde, I will probably just have Newt Martin handmake me one. I just got a handmade big extremely high quality Rambo 3 style survival knife (Rambo 3 knife look, except it has the Rambo Missions type serrations) at an amazing price from Ebay. this beast has a 5/16ths inch thick blade made of 1095 high carbon steel and is 12 inches long and almsot 3 inches wide at widest part. Blade is straight as an arrow and came with a beautiful handmade leather sheath! If I told everyone what I won this massive beast of a knife on Ebay for, they'd probably either call me a liar, that I didn't win it for the price I say, or that I didn't win it at all, LOL! So I will just leave the price talk alone. but lets just say that the Seller of it is Extremely Pissed that, for one, his new employee got this knife listing mixed up with anoither much lower end one( got the prices mixed up) and also is extremely pissed that even with the listing error made by his employee, is made because they feel they still should of gotten several hundred dollars bid on the knife!

And my wife just bought me a SWEET TOPS Knives Condor Alert aka CA99 knife for my Birthday/ Wedding Anniversary present! Plus, I got a handmade high quality First Blood movie knife for Christmas that cost $850! That knife is badass just like in the movie. Super thick D2 steel blade and guard, and 440C steel heavier handle and endcap! made my an exceptional knifemaker, and no, it's not the normal knife makers that make the First Blood tribute knives. This knife maker is much more superior than those typical tribute makers. And not at all taking away from their skill. But what I mean is that the guy that made my FB knife has about 45 yerars of knife making under his belt. And he also used to work with the late great Jimmy Lile. I will not say anymore! But, awesome pics my friend. iw as wondering how the Boker Plus Apparo knife held up in comparison to the Newt Martim handmade version. Definitely not like a cheapo United Cutlery First Blood knife-handmade First Blood knife comparison! Again, great job and if I didn't just get my brand new TOPS Condor Alert knife, I would be buying that Boker Plus Apparo knife right away, and will be doing so anyway in a few months!

Excellent review MW. Thanks for your time and effort....great photography!

Very Cool review. I love the knife, but I wondered if it was as good as described. Looks to be. Thanks!

Yep, I am officially saving up for this one. I'll admit, it's probably bigger than I'd ever carry much, but it's as close as I've seen on my budget, to the Randall #18/Jimmy Lile "First Blood" knife as I'll get, while being a good quality. It may be the overgrown kid in me, but I have always had a craving for one since the movie, I've just never been able to buy any of the many "First Blood" licensed copies, because they all felt like junk.

I got one when they first came out. Love it! They are the toughest hollow handles out there besides the Schrade models for the money. I battoned so much wood with it that I rubbed through the cord handle. Going to KG Guncoat it. Actually like the knurled handle better. Will get another one once I save up some cash. I cut my compass into the end cap with the lathe. Left me more room in the handle for stuff. Thanks for posting such a cool review!

At just over an 1 1/2" edge to spine it provides a great usable blade....thanks for the measurement.................

The width works well with the thickness of the blade. It bites deep when chopping.

Fantastic review mist!! I can't stop staring at the real deal but maybe I could pick one of these up to tide me over :eek:

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it! I know the feeling, I've been staring at them off and on for about four years.

Did you find the large guard getting in the way at all ?

I'm sure it will seem bulky to some, but it doesn't get in my way. It's not the first double-guard knife I've carried in the bush, not even the largest, so I am used to working with big guards.

This will probably be the next knife that I buy, except to get the longer blasde, I will probably just have Newt Martin handmake me one. I just got a handmade big extremely high quality Rambo 3 style survival knife (Rambo 3 knife look, except it has the Rambo Missions type serrations) at an amazing price from Ebay. this beast has a 5/16ths inch thick blade made of 1095 high carbon steel and is 12 inches long and almsot 3 inches wide at widest part. Blade is straight as an arrow and came with a beautiful handmade leather sheath! If I told everyone what I won this massive beast of a knife on Ebay for, they'd probably either call me a liar, that I didn't win it for the price I say, or that I didn't win it at all, LOL! So I will just leave the price talk alone. but lets just say that the Seller of it is Extremely Pissed that, for one, his new employee got this knife listing mixed up with anoither much lower end one( got the prices mixed up) and also is extremely pissed that even with the listing error made by his employee, is made because they feel they still should of gotten several hundred dollars bid on the knife!

And my wife just bought me a SWEET TOPS Knives Condor Alert aka CA99 knife for my Birthday/ Wedding Anniversary present! Plus, I got a handmade high quality First Blood movie knife for Christmas that cost $850! That knife is badass just like in the movie. Super thick D2 steel blade and guard, and 440C steel heavier handle and endcap! made my an exceptional knifemaker, and no, it's not the normal knife makers that make the First Blood tribute knives. This knife maker is much more superior than those typical tribute makers. And not at all taking away from their skill. But what I mean is that the guy that made my FB knife has about 45 yerars of knife making under his belt. And he also used to work with the late great Jimmy Lile. I will not say anymore! But, awesome pics my friend. iw as wondering how the Boker Plus Apparo knife held up in comparison to the Newt Martim handmade version. Definitely not like a cheapo United Cutlery First Blood knife-handmade First Blood knife comparison! Again, great job and if I didn't just get my brand new TOPS Condor Alert knife, I would be buying that Boker Plus Apparo knife right away, and will be doing so anyway in a few months!

I've spent a lot of time staring at the Lile knives on the website, I really like the Vietnam commemorative model, and the new generation of the first blood knife a lot. I have had the chance to handle Newt's knives on a few occasions at Blade and have really liked how they felt. Now that I have had a chance to put his system to the test in the field I have been talking to him about available options in something with a shorter blade.

Excellent review MW. Thanks for your time and effort....great photography!

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. It's a rather complex design so I wanted to use enough pics to illustrate how I used it, and how well it did.

Very Cool review. I love the knife, but I wondered if it was as good as described. Looks to be. Thanks!

Thanks man. Me too. Some of my experiences with not so cheaply priced, but very cheaply made hollow handles from the 80s had left me with reservations about hollow handled knives with joined handles. I am glad some people can still make them functional. I also like Newt's saw design better than some others so now one made by Newt is definitely next in line.

Yep, I am officially saving up for this one. I'll admit, it's probably bigger than I'd ever carry much, but it's as close as I've seen on my budget, to the Randall #18/Jimmy Lile "First Blood" knife as I'll get, while being a good quality. It may be the overgrown kid in me, but I have always had a craving for one since the movie, I've just never been able to buy any of the many "First Blood" licensed copies, because they all felt like junk.

Yep, it's not exactly small that's for sure. But a much better value for the money than some imports I gave over $100.00 for almost 30 years ago. So with the price point on this one I am extremely happy with it. I really want a Martin original at this point :)

I got one when they first came out. Love it! They are the toughest hollow handles out there besides the Schrade models for the money. I battoned so much wood with it that I rubbed through the cord handle. Going to KG Guncoat it. Actually like the knurled handle better. Will get another one once I save up some cash. I cut my compass into the end cap with the lathe. Left me more room in the handle for stuff. Thanks for posting such a cool review!

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the post. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who has seen how tough the knife is. This system of handle attachment has really impressed me so far. I am wanting to put a compass in the handle of this one too to save space.

I am so getting one of these. I have the 9 1/2 custom one on order

Cool, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I know how much you like the hollow handles too. I thought about it a lot, and then put in a request for thoughts on something with a 6 inch blade for when I head back into the southern swamps. From the pictures I've seen of his concept for it, I am extremely stoked.

Hello MistWalker!
Great review as usual.
One question I have is about the inside bottom of the hollow handle where the tang joins.
Does it look like epoxy? The old Buckmaster looked like that so I am curious.
Thanks!

Hello Tenbeers!

It's been a while. Thank you, glad you liked it. Yes, it definitely looks and feels like epoxy.

Friggin' great review. I was looking forward to seeing someone actually use one of these - I'm not usually a fan of big knives, or hollow-handled knives, but this design really caught my eye.

How has the sheath held up?

Friggin' great review. I was looking forward to seeing someone actually use one of these - I'm not usually a fan of big knives, or hollow-handled knives, but this design really caught my eye.

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I like hollow handles, but have had issues with some in the past. I'm really liking this one so far.

The sheath is holding up fine so far. Though it's only had about 60 to 80 hours of belt time so far, I don't see any signs of fatigue or stress yet. I am ordering a spec ops sheath for it anyway, since the knife will live out it's life in a temperate rain forest and see a lot of time in high humidity and wet environments.

Just an update on the sheath. It has been on my belt daily since it has alternated between the Apparo, and a similar but smaller Martin prototype. It has been wet in creeks and has been bounced around a lot climbing over rocks and is still holding up just fine. I do have a couple of the new multi-cam Spec Ops sheaths coming soon for both of them, but just thought I'd throw out there that the sheath is has been carried quite a bit lately and even with the weight of these knives, it is so far doing just fine.

Let us know how it fits the Spec-Ops sheath.
Pics please when you get it.

Let us know how it fits the Spec-Ops sheath.
Pics please when you get it.

The Spec Ops sheath fits it like it was made for it size wise. Initially it's a bit tight but I can fix that with boiling water if I want. I'm going to leave it alone for a bit and check it out as is though because I like that there is no rattling.

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1207.jpg

DSC_1199.jpg

DSC_1202.jpg

DSC_1213.jpg

DSC_1192.jpg

DSC_1197.jpg

Great review. I've been impressed with Boker's 440.

Thanks you. So far I have been too. I am more familiar with their D2 and the N690CO, but the 440 is doing really well.

Thanks for the pics!
Any trouble keeping that handle wrap secure?

Tell us more about the smaller piece in the photos.

Thanks for the pics!
Any trouble keeping that handle wrap secure?

Tell us more about the smaller piece in the photos.

No problem. The wrap on the Boker tries to roll off the handle during really hard chopping, but nothing some McNett wrap would solve.

It's a Martin prototype. I'll say more about it later. Right now trying to take advantage of the peace and quiet and catch up on some work while the wife and her clone are gone for the day :)

Last edited:
Back