Boker Tree Brand carbon steel appreciation...

I really like the Boker Tree brand CS slippies. They just seem more consistently sharp and properly fitted in comparison to German Bull, Hen & Rooster, etc - and Buck & Case, too. They just seem sharper, as well. I really love high tech steels, don't get me wrong - S30V is great - but basic CS in a slippie is so 'traditional'. Give me a frame/liner lock or lockback with S30V, etc - a slippie needs CS. Opinions?

Now... who still uses CS in their slippies?

Stainz

I'm a carbon steel fan.

productionusers.jpg

I like carbon, but I like the S30V in my Canal st. I thought I saw someone say S30v is the aquivelant of 154CM, correct?

I like my Tree Brand sodbuster. The finish was less than perfect, but that just made it easier to use without worrying about it getting scratched up. The backspring is nice and strong and the good ol' carbon steel takes a great edge too. Plus, there's just something about the look of a patina and the contrast of the sharpened edge. Carbon steel is definitely my favorite for a slippie.

Can't go wrong with carbon steel bladed slipjoints. :thumbup:

carbon steel in a flat grind is pure sensual for cutting. my carbons sweeten up quicker also. love the patina that comes from honest use.

I just got the Boker Fall/Winter catalogue a few days ago, and the price on some of these are really good right now. I guess I need to pull the trigger. I love carbon steel.

I really like the Boker Tree brand CS slippies. They just seem more consistently sharp and properly fitted in comparison to German Bull, Hen & Rooster, etc - and Buck & Case, too. They just seem sharper, as well. I really love high tech steels, don't get me wrong - S30V is great - but basic CS in a slippie is so 'traditional'. Give me a frame/liner lock or lockback with S30V, etc - a slippie needs CS. Opinions?

Now... who still uses CS in their slippies?

Stainz

I am a fan of non-stainless.:D

(the grin is because what I actually love most is low alloy steel with 0.95% Carbon plus a tad of Chromium and a bit of Vanadium, so I'm stretchin' your target a bit.) I'm a big fan of Camillus 0170-6C aka Carbon V. Woohoo!

But I'm also a fan of Schrade Old Timer 1095 and Camillus 1095. Me lik'um.

I am a fan of non-stainless.:D

(the grin is because what I actually love most is low alloy steel with 0.95% Carbon plus a tad of Chromium and a bit of Vanadium, so I'm stretchin' your target a bit.) I'm a big fan of Camillus 0170-6C aka Carbon V. Woohoo!

But I'm also a fan of Schrade Old Timer 1095 and Camillus 1095. Me lik'um.

FWIW, I have it on good authority from friends who were reasonably high in the former Camillus food chain that Carbon V was often whatever carbon steel might have been in good supply at any given time. I'm just sayin'...;)

I have some Boker Carbon steel knives in 1075, and some in 1095. You can tell the difference in the grain. The 1075 blades I have are mirror polished, and I have 1095 in their frosted, and plain satin style grinds.

I don't know why but the 1075 blades seem a bit more wear resist and and harder. I was under the impression that the 1075 blades were run softer. I'm puzzled. I do like both, and have no problems with either.

I do admit I like Eye brands forged steel better for sharpening and slicing. The knives are sort of hit and miss, but the steel is always excellent. Boker has better Fit & finish on most examples, but there's something about the forged blades I like.

GEC does 1095 really well IMO. My old schrade 1095 blades still are almost a reference standard though. I miss them.

My old two dogs knife, if you looked close at the tang on oen of the blades, you could see it was a file at one time. It was the favorite part of the knife for me. Truly a hand made knife.

Kamagong. The knife down under looks very interesting. What is it?
Those boker knifes is from Germany? Someone know a good european sourse to bye this knifes?

Bosse

I'm not sure which knife you are asking about so I'll list them from top to bottom.

Boker
Cold Steel
Eye Brand
Imperial
Schatt & Morgan

The yellow knife is a Moore Maker. Hope that helped.

Back