Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

izUHWn5.jpg
I only have these two :)
Nice - what's the wood on the knife on the left?

I don't know about newer knives but as of about 3 years ago, the shields were not pinned. Note the post that I linked and the post right above it.
Mines definitely pinned .
IMG-20210926-173558498.jpg

Mines definitely pinned .
IMG-20210926-173558498.jpg
Yep, that’s what I’m seeing on many of mine. Many of the ones I have were made after 2018 though, so maybe they started pinning them after that. Maybe someone can jump in with some more information.

Really? I was under the impression that they were pinned. This has come up before and I’ve checked many of mine and thought I could see that they were pinned. Which ones have you had to glue back in? Maybe I need to look closer. 😊
It was a four-bladed Congress Whittler. And when it was off I noticed that there was a through-hole to the center of the knife, as if the hole had beed drilled with a. wood auger.

It was a four-bladed Congress Whittler. And when it was off I noticed that there was a through-hole to the center of the knife, as if the hole had beed drilled with a. wood auger.
Thanks Dave. After the Bucs and Rams game (that the Bucs forgot to show up for 🙄) I looked at several of my Barlows and some of them look like the one LEGION 12 LEGION 12 just posted, so now I’m really confused. 😊

V VentureDan

I believe it is bog oak. I bought it used on the forums without the box a few years ago, but I believe there was a series of these that was produced at the the time.

Thanks Dave. After the Bucs and Rams game (that the Bucs forgot to show up for 🙄) I looked at several of my Barlows and some of them look like the one LEGION 12 LEGION 12 just posted, so now I’m really confused. 😊
You this that game was bad? I'm a former Kansas City resident and big Chiefs fan. Both of the last two games have been nightmares.

I'm also wondering if someone looking into the knife see the through-hole and assume that it's a pinning, but on mine it's just a hole!!

I bought a Böker Barlow last year through a dealer and returned it. It was definitely a nice knife but I was disappointed with the fact that shield was placed add an odd angle. Before returning it, I mailed Böker in Solingen about it and they told me that these sort of things are not considered as faulty production. I really tried to ignore it but at 80 euro or so, I couldn't get over it and returned the knife. That is my only experience with Böker. Even though I was disappointed with that particular Barlow, the overall quality was definitely there and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Böker at some point again.
I have taken care of that myself... Sanded the shield flush with the scales and filled it with clear epoxy :)

It´s time to ad another Barlow to my small collection. I am torn between the Expedition and the "regular" in dark wood with the old shield.
I am leaning towards the Expedition, a bit different to the oak and plum I already got but with the same shield. Any thoughts?

Back