Bounced Email Group / Policy

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Here's the deal folks -

Too many of you are using subscriptions to threads and not having a working email address in your profile - either your email address is no longer valid, or you are over your mailbox quota, or your mail system sucks. As a result, we get bounced emails in our mailbox, wasting my time.

So, the first time that happens, I'm deleting your thread & forums subscriptions and putting you in the BOUNCED EMAIL usergroup. If you do not change your email address pronto, or empty your mailbox, the next time I get a bounced email from your account, you are getting banned. It's harsh, but that's life... you need to take responsibility for maintaining your accounts.

Once you've adjusted your email address, you may go to the User CP, click on Group Memberships and select to leave the Bounced Email group.

I can understand why that reply-to address would get flooded with bounce messages, but could we set the reply-to address to one that goes directly to the trash bin?

Or if that would still take up too much bandwidth with messages going to the trash bin, could we set the reply-to address to anonymouscoward192356783276@hotmail.com and let him deal with it? :D

It wastes server resources and sending them straight to trash just keeps me from knowing who's email is out. Also it would filter EVERY email to trash.

A few weeks ago, my email went down for a day or two. I had it up and running again, but in the meantime anybody who emailed me got the mailer-daemon "bounced" email...

So, had this policy been in place, I would have been banned (since I regularly subscribe to threads) that same day, adding insult to injury.

Any way around this hangup?

You get a warning and your subscriptions are deleted - all of them. At the same time you are switched to the Bouced Email group which allows you limited viewing of the forums - pretty much just the Service & Support forum. That should clue you in to fix your account. With the limited viewing and your subscriptions having been removed, we shouldn't be getting more bounced mails from you.

I think it's a fine idea.

I have tried and failed to contact many people via their email listed on their account.

I changed my e-mail and put in a valid one, proceeded to open the email and the url and went to my user profile that says my new email is invalid, can someone please help me :confused:

destroythealter, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. I just checked and you are not in the bounced email group, so maybe it's fixed already?

This happened to me yesterday and my problem and the solution was covered in my "Help" thread.

Go to the Spark's first post in this thread. There are two separate steps you have to take to solve the problem:

1. Adjust email address
2. Go to the User CP, click on Group Memberships and select to leave the Bounced Email group.

Ok, i'm having a problem now. My e-mail went down and I tried to switch it to my gmail account. I looked at my user CP and it said I was in the bounced e-mail group. so i switched it back to yahoo, and it still says it's bounced AND reverted me back to a registered user. I just bought a gold membership 2 days ago. What did i do worng and how can i fix it? If it was a gross mistake on my part and I just lost 25 bucks...Big whoop. I can pay for my mistakes (better than getting banned for doing something stupid). I'll pony up another 25 bucks if that's what it takes. Just let me know.

Jake

Um ... if I understand you correctly, Steely_Gunz ... your email server went down, you changed to a gmail account that works, then you discovered you had done that too late and you were already in the bounced email group ... so you changed back to the account that doesn't work???

First change to an email account that works, then take yourself out of the bounced email group.

Steely Gunz, you haven't removed yourself from the Bounced Email group

Ok, I have left the bounced e-mail. I really shouldn't have fiddled with the e-mail account. I thought i would see if gmail worked once yahoo went down for a time, but i guess it does not. I REALLY hate yahoo, but now i know it works. So, i'll keep it. No biggie. Now about my gold membership..can that be brought back up or do i have to pay for another? If i do, just let me know. It was my mistake, I will pay for it if i need to. Spark and Cougar...thank you for your time. I know you do a lot for us. I appreciate it. You would have thought i would have figured this crap out in three years, but... :rolleyes:
Once we get this fixed I PROMISE i won't cause any more problems for you guys.

Thanks so much.
Jake Kelley

Cougar Allen said:
destroythealter, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. I just checked and you are not in the bounced email group, so maybe it's fixed already?

it my CP its says I am but if i am actually not, thats ok with me.

I just checked my e-mail address in my cp and there's a bunch of red writing there.Does everyone have that or is that directed at me??? :confused:

Kevin
you are saying,..
if My e-mail host goes down (and it does on occasion), all my posts go away?
I don't have anonymous mail and it will come back if it does go down.
if this is right, yes I agree it does sound a little harsh.
or is it, once it fixed the post go back on?

I'm asking this because a lot of good posts to help new guys out
will be gone and that what I thought these forums are about?
or am I getting this whole thing confused?:confused:

Dan, just your Subscriptions to the posts will disappear. That means you will no longer receive emails telling you that someone has replied to a thread you have posted in - until you fix your email and subscribe to a certain thread again. Your posts are still safe.

don't tell DanG that....he works harder if he's paranoid.

Get back to work!

(somebody's watching you......)

:p :D :p

Daniel Koster said:
don't tell DanG that....he works harder if he's paranoid.
Get back to work!
(somebody's watching you......)
I know and I can't find out who it is:eek: :D

Thanks Viking. I thought I was going to have to jump on some one :confused: :D :D all kidding a side..

how would you know who's mail is not working? is it checked like every day
electronically or something?:confused:

I'm wondering if that's where we get all the junk mail from :grumpy: :foot: ;) :D

Back