1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Bowie / Camp Knife ???

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by LotusBlade, Dec 12, 2011.

1. LotusBlade

LotusBlade

Jun 10, 2010
    Who are some makers of tough user bowie/camp knives?

I have a few great 4-5” bushcraft style knives, but now I am looking for a tough handmade bowie/camp knife.

I really like that classic style of a Jim Bowie or Hudson Bay.

Feel free to share yours. Pictures would be great too.

2. theevilmike

theevilmike

Sep 16, 2010
    Heres mine, i made it

mike

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    That's nice. Well done.

Afraid I can't help the OP though. Did you try perusing the makers section?

4. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works and ML Knives spring imediately to mind !

Here is one from MMHW~

[​IMG]

Bryan Breeden also makes a mean looking camp knife !!!:thumbup:

[​IMG]

A pic of Matt from ML Knives and one of his monster designs !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Wow, those are big alright.:eek:

6. theevilmike

theevilmike

Sep 16, 2010
    Pitdog, that is a beautiful blade, im envious

mike

7. russamurai

russamurai

Feb 24, 2009
    GL Drew :thumbup:

8. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    I've seen a few of Bryan Breeden's *huge* choppers and WOW! they're amazing looking knives. I'm sure whatever you came up with, he could make.

9. VTguy17

VTguy17 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2011
    My newest camp knife is this Condor boomslang. I'm a big khukuri fan for a woods knife but I'm loving the feel of this condor so far. Also, don't overlook the Ka-Bar heavy bowie, it's only around $50 and it's an outstanding knife. I've thumped on it hard and it holds a great edge and is just an all around awesome camp knife especially for the price.

Condor boomslang
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. LotusBlade

LotusBlade

Jun 10, 2010
    Nice pics! I really like Bryan's knives and wow Matt knows how to make a bowie.

I have also been looking at Gossman's Tusker.

Thanks everyone.

11. melt

melt

Nov 20, 2006
    Becker 9!

12. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Bill Siegle,Scott Gossman,Daniel Fairly,Bruce Culberson or Jeremy Horton I have knives from all of them and they are all true hard use knives!!!!

13. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    if you're on a tight budget, the Condor Hudson Bay isn't bad for under $40.
    [​IMG]
    top knife Condor HBK, middle is a vintage Busse SHSH, bottom is a Swamp Rat M9

14. Tim the Slugman

Tim the Slugman

Jun 9, 2005
    If you can find one Bark River knife & tool, makes a great Hudson Bay camp knife !!!!

15. markpmc

markpmc

Aug 10, 2011
    I use a Ontario SP50 as my large knife. It pairs nicely w/ my BRKT Aurora. I just do not want to tie up a lot of $$ in a knife that I use as a choper on occasion.

16. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Big camp and Bowie knives can be had and made pretty much anywhere. The big questions is how much are wanting to spend lol.

here is video I made of one I finished up Thursday. It is a little bigger than the one Pitdog posted.
    Just click on the pic.
    [​IMG]

I Love big sharp knives. You never know when you will have to cut some sausage.
    [​IMG]

Bryan

17. Bruce Culberson

Bruce Culberson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 6, 2007
    Here is a pic of a Hudson Bay model that I made:

[​IMG]

That big bowie is awesome Brain! Also looks like you got a wicked edge on it:thumbup: Got any sharpening tips?

Bruce

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  18. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    Ruana knives. Some people like them, and they deliver a classic bowie style.

Ruana Bowies

19. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I have been using this one a good bit on the trail and really dig it. solid strong tip, good handle ergos, comes with a nice sheath, and lanyard for a pretty good price (mine was definitely less than listed but it's definitely worth it) tops prather war bowie

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=341

20. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    Some awesome blades posted here. Love that one from ML. Here's a Tusker bowie I made for a upcoming boar hunt. Works well as a camp knife too. Busted up this pile of wood.
    Scott

[​IMG]