Bowie Team 6 Mummies? . . . Janitor's Closet Opens Sunday 9-18 at 9:00 PM Eastern!!!

"Decarb" is the scale left over from the heat treat process. Basically a thin layer of iron oxide (rust) on the surface of the steel. You want to remove it, as it will allow rust to form pretty readily, which could cause pitting in the steel if left un-cared for.

Makes sense, thanks SP

" SpyderPhreak "

That looks great !!!! Really nice job there :thumbup:

So when you remove the decarb do you do this by hand or a power tool setup ?

Considering stripping one of mine, might start small and strip one of my CGAMS edc. It's a black coated blade and coating seems thick for a small blade

" SpyderPhreak "

Considering stripping one of mine, might start small and strip one of my CGAMS edc. It's a black coated blade and coating seems thick for a small blade

My first stripper was a CGMAS, it's a lot nicer without coating. I have used the dremel polishing kit they sell at H Depot and it works very well. The paddle wheel polishers work great, then the scothbrite attachments by order of grit does a fantastic job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried etching mine and stripping it, I definitely didn't etch deep enough for the amount of sanding I did, so I guess it's sterile now, except for some factory grinder marks.

And while I post this, it is slicing up that apple and doing a great job!! I can't wait to get it on some BBQ Tri-tip!

Last edited:
" SpyderPhreak "

Sorry, missed your post. I removed mine using a powered belt, powered disks, and by hand with some elbow grease. Mine had some of the heaviest, toughest decarb on the presentation side that I've ever come across, and it wasn't easy to get it off. YMMV.

I tried etching mine and stripping it, I definitely didn't etch deep enough for the amount of sanding I did, so I guess it's sterile now, except for some factory grinder marks.

And while I post this, it is slicing up that apple and doing a great job!! I can't wait to get it on some BBQ Tri-tip!

Very nice!!! :thumbup: :cool: I just finished applying a satin finish to mine, so I can appreciate the work that went into that one!!! :D How heavy was the decarb layer on yours?

Sorry, missed your post. I removed mine using a powered belt, powered disks, and by hand with some elbow grease. Mine had some of the heaviest, toughest decarb on the presentation side that I've ever come across, and it wasn't easy to get it off. YMMV.

Very nice!!! :thumbup: :cool: I just finished applying a satin finish to mine, so I can appreciate the work that went into that one!!! :D How heavy was the decarb layer on yours?

The decarb layer was WAY thicker than it was on my B8; every time I thought I was done more seemed to magically appear. Thanks as well! I had to calm my OCD and finally stop sanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just picked up a bt6 off the exchange and was trying to find the story behind it and when it first came out with original pricing. Anyone know the story behind the bt6 ? Thanks much for any info on this knife, I can’t seem to find Jerry’s original offering.

If I recall correctly there was no original release. The BT6 was found in grab bags, then later in the mummy sale. But I could be wrong too lol. I do remember chasing after a couple of them :) It was a tough knife to score.

IIRC the BT6 was a Mil overrun.
Bowie team 6 > maybe boat team six. So no original posting? I was hoping to hear about Jerry’s description of how the knife came about and the story behind it. I’ve picked up quite a few mil over runs “especially all the different blade that had terror monkey on the side” nice blade, feels great in the hand with a very aggressive Bowie blade.

Bowie team 6 > maybe boat team six. So no original posting? I was hoping to hear about Jerry’s description of how the knife came about and the story behind it. I’ve picked up quite a few mil over runs “especially all the different blade that had terror monkey on the side” nice blade, feels great in the hand with a very aggressive Bowie blade.

I found this from Garth:
The knife is the BT6 or Bowie Team 6. It was a special project that was done for a specific group of people. They agreed to let us to sell the overrun blades to the general public, just not with their markings or in their color combo. Not gonna be many of these floating around.

Garth

.....and yes, it is INFI.

Garth
I seem to remember they were offered up at Blade then the grab bag Gaanza and the Mummy Ganza.

Jerry BusseModeratorModerator

Are we talking about the SEAL team 6 ?
��
NO.

Let's Drink!:thumbup:

Jerry
:D

Above copied from thread, What do I have here.

Nice thread resurrection for those who appreciate this information. I’ve been able to pick up a few BT6 over the years. It’s my knowledge that it stands for Bowie Team 6. Good luck in your search.

Back