Boxes and papers

Well, this is gonna sound weird but are there collectors out there that know of reproduced Schrade boxes? I have picked up a few boxes with papers from a seller (seller did not mention they were reproduced or authentic) and they look and appear exact as far as size and shape even thickness. The only difference is the ink on the box is not smooth like on a known authentic box. All the coloring is exact but the inside of the box has a smoother surface compared to the authentic box. Now, I could be wrong about all this but I would like to know other collector's thoughts on this and if anyone else has experience with boxes and paperwork. Thanks.

I certainly see knives paired up with boxes of incorrect vintage but with actual counterfeits I have no experience. Sorry.

Hedger, I believe you may be correctamondo mate.
I can only put this cryptically.....and you can simply answer yes or no as it may not be politic to pinpoint further on this forum.......
Cryptic: 'A certain kitchen appliance collector in a blue mountain?':confused:
Better still PM me mate and we'll compare notes....been going on for a while....

Which version of the box? Surely not the old brownie two piece boxes? I've been told there were palettes of unused boxes at the auctions, and just a few weeks ago it was pointed out some of brown flip-tops that are being sold. They were in the still flat unfolded, never used. Kind if a NIB Box.

These are "Sharp Idea" boxes. I would think a white or brown box would be near impossible to duplicate.

These are "Sharp Idea" boxes. I would think a white or brown box would be near impossible to duplicate.

I've seen two versions of that style, with and without Sharp Idea logo. The newer ones are Schrade Tough with the same design and color scheme. Never paid close attention to any I thought looked fishy.

I did some research and while these boxes look identical there are deviations in the print and the way the box flaps are cut. There is a guy selling these boxes but I cannot be 100% sure they are counterfeit. To me, I would say they are counterfeit and I was duped but they are near exact. There are very minor differences in lettering otherwise the ink looks the same except that it is raised and not smooth. You can tell the box print was made in stages and not by a printing press and the box material is bleached white and not brown inside like the authentic box. So be careful out there and check your boxes.

They are recent reprints...Schrade would have been most unlikely to keep 40 year old boxes on the fold for a limited series that was never reproduced...and you can have the specific number of the knife printed upon request.....still they fill a "service" for impossible to obtain boxes.......P.S. How big was Schrades spare parts warehouse anyway?....and didnt they ever do a stocktake in a 40 year period to work out what was surplus???

How about some pictures Hedger? I'd like to see the example.

Many of the insides of authentic Sharp Idea boxes are white. I've got white ones that are old and tattered. I don't think paper color on the inside is a factor. The Sharp Idea style box was used for a long time I believe, maybe the longest run of any. Bound to be a few variations.

Certain Ebay sellers raise my eyebrows quite often, so Larry's clue is well taken

I'm not doubting it if you have a fake box, But it does not seem to me like printing and glueing those boxes would hardly worth printing. I could be wrong about that.

Here are the differences between the boxes close up.
9ot008.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

The top box is the original see the minor differences in print and how the "9"
9ot010.jpg
is different. "Lockback" is also changed slightly

The top photo is of the original and you can compare the top photo to the copied box on the bottom photo. The center photo is both boxes. The top box is the original. I would say the copy is very good and close to original (if this be the case). I am not certain this is true but I believe Larry and myself to be correct in saying it is a copy. The ink is exact except that it is raised which means one can feel it by rubbing their hand across. Next will be a photo of the end flaps and inside. I tried to make the photos large for comparison.

Very interesting. I don't know how anyone could determine the validity of the "copy," unless they were the crew boss on that end of the factory. Why must the boxes all be the same, anyway? I can visualize multiple orders to printers, not all of them from the same printer. (?) The end goal of this knife factory wasn't to create museum pieces, complete with letters of authentication and autographed. They were just boxes. I suppose a counterfeiter could make a little money on the damn things, but I sure wouldn't spend my time that way. In fact, horror of horrors, I think the boxes are nothing but a nuisance. I do save them, however. :D:yawn:

I have to agree but with a different approach. When running a business, you look for quality suppliers with competitive pricing. I know the businesses that I've been involved in have changed suppliers on occaision for either reason.

If indeed box designs changed over time, so be it. So did the knives they contained. The knives were made by master cutlers but the packaging was most likely decided on by accountants. All a part of collecting the Schrade line.

As for pointing to a certain individual as being suspect of some sort of counterfeiting, I think an apology is in order.

As we say here In My Honest Opinion. Rich

No individual is mentioned by me and I did say I was not 100% sure if in fact these were copies. So they may very well be what Schrade decided on as far as suppliers go. Just have too much time to worry about minor things I guess.

Back