Braiding a leather fob and installing a bead

Thanks sir and a bump up with one piece I forgot to make mention, this softer leather is made so to be soft and a little springy, and the colour you get is the colour you get.

DO NOT try to dye this stuff, it will just soak it up like a sponge and I'm not sure if it would EVER settle down!!! so be warned on that point, it'll darken over time with use.

G2

Neat! I use a leather wedge too. I'll have to give a piece of cork a try. I take off and replace the lanyard so much that the wedge hasn't been an issue.

Now we need a tut on doing a tiny turks head knot. I've done them with cord, not sure if I could do it with round leather, but I have a spool. May as well try. :)

Not as purdy as yours!
8PxIctG.jpg

I turn my own beads with a drill press and burlap micarta or figured wood. Can't ever seem to find the right size.

A4t8IeC.jpg

Last edited:
Nice beads there, when I finally get a 'shop' I'll definitely get a drill press and maybe give making my own beads a whirl !

I'm partial to the skull cast beads here's a lanyard I recently made for my full size Ritter grip, nice knife too btw!

leather_braid_17 by GaryWGraley,

leather_braid_18 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and a shot in the pocket, of course if you are walking in a crowded area, you might want to put that lanyard into the pocket for safe keeping...

leather_braid_19 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Hey there "Omega Leather Works" nice :)
Sent you a PM sir on the skull beads.
G2

Last edited:
Hey...I'm not just a pretty face ya know ;)
Congrats on the change, looks like a good one to me too.
G2

I found a place to get very soft deer hide. I think I will give one of these a try. Been doing some leather lanyard work for a customer.
Thanks for the pics.

Old thread, still good information, but wanted to show this new Celtic bead I found on Amazon, very cool looking and works great even with paracord too.

This is a David Boye Cobalt folder has a bail instead of a lanyard hole so the leather is a bit wider to fit that bail, the bead fits on there, I have a wedge of rubber cork between the leather ends that the bead is being held in place by compression of that wedge, holds pretty well.

leather_braid_20 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

With a bail, you need to start that slit on the other side really close so when you braid it, it makes a tight fit to the bail itself

leather_braid_21 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
A little off topic Gary , but how do you find the steel on that knife ?
I remember seeing you post that knife ages ago , it nice to see it still has a place in your EDC after your recent cull of your selection .

Ken

The steel is actually cast cobalt in a dendrite structure so it has a very aggressive cutting action to it, BUT with the caveat that it is meant for cutting fibrous material and that can impact it's edge retention depending on the material you cut, but rope, cardboard stuff along that line, it's what it's designed for and does very well.

As to still having it, well, truth be told that one was sold back in 2009 or so and only recently came home as the fellow that bought it was chatting in a PM and it came up that he still had it, just stored away and never used and would sell it back if I had a mind to take it, and so I did :) NOW, how long it stays, that is a totally different question and who knows! I may send it out to have a regrind done on it to get a higher secondary grind but I'll wait and see.

G2

edited to add, thanks Lcoop and Spyder, you're very welcome, a lanyard can be quite useful at times.

Last edited:
Thank you for the instructions...
You've helped many people...
Nice!
Have a great weekend!

2usu6uv.jpg
Somewhere down the line, I came across this old Imperial Elctrician's knife that had a badly broken knife tip. I gave it a cleaning and oiling, reground the tip, and put an edge on this old neglected knife. Gary, I came across this thread and was looking for something to do today. White Pigskin leather that I use for sheath lining and an old bead that has been searching for the right knife for quite some time. Just dropped it into my pocket! Thanks, Enjoy, and have a great day!
Doug

Nice job with the repair of the tip! Looks like a handy bead there too.
G2

I was just looking into a lanyard for my 43 too...glad I found this post! :) I need to find some skull beads.

Back