Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty spot on Quap, haha well done

I like how he had no qualms about slapping just about every company and maker ; )

honestly curious now about what knife he would buy? maybe he's gone full custom only? (I would if I could afford it lol)

Strider: 60% handle + 35% choil + 5% Creative Writing = $400 price tag.

Hinderer: Same template (18/24) knife, then buy different scales and hardware to play dress-up. MBA course-worthy Barbie doll business strategy.

Shirogorov: 1. Pick random Spyderco leaf blade. 2. Pick random Cold Steel handle shape. 3. Add framelock and bearings. 4. Add $800 to price tag.

Ganzo: IP swipers.

Reate: WE, but double the blade stock and price.

Manly: Spyderco Delica sample platter

Civivi: Somehow they got us to pay premium for G-10/D2 now. Brous must be fuming now.

Quartermaster: I've been to their museum.

Zinker: Allergic to curves. If this was a dating site you'd be reported for misogyny.

Benchmade: A worthy maker if everything was $50 cheaper. What do you call a 940-1 that slices better, has stronger lock springs, is as light and half-price? Manix 2 LW.

Chris Reeve: Riding the same one trick grayscale pony for decades.

Zero Tolerance: Only useful for when another company/maker can't make a quality product.

Emerson: See Zero Tolerance.

SOG: Soggy cereal trying to stay afloat in the domestic milk bowl.

Kabar: SOG, except I can actually identify the important military knife.

Victorinox: Most impressive company on this list, considering any model you buy is at most 33% knife.

Spyderco: Blade to handle ratio and designs makes Wonka blush.

CRKT: *Yawn*

Gerber: See CRKT

Buck: See Gerber + 110

Rockstead: You'll cry when you pay the bill. Then cry again when your tears scratch up the mirror polish. Then again when the warranty doesn't cover the mistakes of your second sob.

Moki: Apparently a bar of Aus8 costs them $100.

Custom Knife Factory: When your financial advisor says to just get a Kevin John or Green Thorn, but you don't want to be judged.

Case: Jelly beans of knives. Old fashioned and colorful and novel, but deep down you know they all taste the same.

Boker: See Buck - 110

Kizer: As someone who fell asleep a lot in European history class, I can still name more actual Kaisers than Kizer models.

Todd Begg: The Simpson's "speed holes" joke was supposed to be ironic.

Isham Designs: Someone tried to impress a girl at the bar by designing all their knives using a ruler and bottom of a shot-glass.

James Brand: Grandma fell over and got a new hip, and you still have more hip than her.

TwoSun: I literally saw your logo in a COVID19 documentary.

Artisan Cutlery: I literally saw your logo in a WWII documentary.

Real Steel: I hope so too.

Grimsmo: Leave it to two Canadians to rub in their healthcare by selling us $800 finger guillotines.

Gareth Bull: How to make a Shamwari.
1. Buy a Sebenza and take handle.
2. Buy a Sage and take blade.
3. JB Weld fill the hole.
4. Sell on Instagram at exactly 3 AM.
5. Don't respond when your customer says the JB Weld came off.

Rike: Once upon a time, a meth head tweaked their way into a machine shop. Then Rike was born.

Giant Mouse: Vox/Anso decide to rehash all of the designs they left behind in Maniago. Better use them all up before Ganzo stops by.

Cold Steel: Their pig slicing videos are really good and entertaining, frankly.

Edit: Added other knives that I own(ed).

That was funny. :)

I think that most brands have some good models and some bad ones. So, I try not to say that everything from a particular brand is not worth owning. An example for me would be that I have had a problem with CRKT for a long time but recently bought their model called the Panache and found it to be quite nice. Back in the 70's and 80's I was big time into Gerber and Cold Steel, but not so much now, although, I think they each have some pretty decent models.

I like how he had no qualms about slapping just about every company and maker ; )

honestly curious now about what knife he would buy? maybe he's gone full custom only? (I would if I could afford it lol)

How's it going boss?

Honestly I was just poking fun, because I didn't want the topic to become too serious. There are some very unethical brands that steal designs, lie about origin and other unsavory practices, which has been discussed a lot in this thread or GBU. In general, people should just buy what makes them happy.

Personally I've read/posted here for almost a decade, and my collection has been narrowed down to mostly rare but "non-expensive". For example, when Canal St Cutlery or Queen was shutting down, I bought each just as memory. I try to get rare models (not sprints), like the Lum Tanto and Dodo. Relative to many members who EDC +$200 knives, mine are just novel to keep. My two most carried knives are a Higonokami or PM2, depending on pants material.

Like most branded merchandise, "gun company knives" are very dependent on who actually makes them:
AVOID: Smith & Wesson knives, including the M&P ones, have been made by Taylor Cutlery (which includes the Shrade, Uncle Henry, Old Timer, and Imperial brands) for a long time, and S&W actually bought them out in 2016. The feedback on their S&W and Schrade lines is generally poor to mediocre, with Schrade occasionally producing some decent budget fixed blades. Remington-branded knives have been made by Bear & Sons exclusively since 2015. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, B&S has had some issues with providing the steel they advertise (I doubt this affects the $10 Remington folders too much).

OKAY: The Ruger line by CRKT is acceptable for the budget end of the spectrum (the now-discontinued LCK was actually very well regarded among budget knives). The H&K line, made by Hogue, as well as Hogue's own stuff, is as good as anything any other American-made mainstream production company puts out. Hogue has also made stuff for Wilson Tactical, which is an arm of Wilson Combat.

IT DEPENDS: Browning has a bunch of manufacturers that make their knives, so quality varies by model. They have a bunch of cheap knives made by nameless Chinese companies that are pretty garbage. They have used Buck, TOPS, and Mcusta, who make good knives.​

I like Hogue but I haven't tried their knives. I can wholeheartedly recommend their Hardwood and Tamer grips for revolvers.

I'm a bit more critical of the Ruger knives by CRKT. I had an LCK and was not impressed. Not loving the design is one thing. The poor quality on mine was another. I ended up returning it. Seeing how many people like that knife, I have to assume that I was on the junk end of CRKT's QC ballpark. The size of that ballpark seems to be a running complaint here. That wasn't the first time I got a piece of junk from CRKT. I've made it my last time for them.

Schrade is another one that's let me down, including with fixed blades. They are a big part of the reason I had written off 9Cr18Mov. I'm so glad I caved and tried one of the initial Civivi knives in 9Cr18Mov. It was like the difference between 420HC and Buck's 420HC. That opened me up to trying a fixed blade from Real Steel in 9Cr18Mov. Same deal. Now that I've had Civivi, Real Steel, and some of the other better budget brands from China in my EDC rotation, it feels like a big step up.

Hinderer: Same template (18/24) knife, then buy different scales and hardware to play dress-up. MBA course-worthy Barbie doll business strategy.

Shirogorov: 1. Pick random Spyderco leaf blade. 2. Pick random Cold Steel handle shape. 3. Add framelock and bearings. 4. Add $800 to price tag.

Civivi: Somehow they got us to pay premium for G-10/D2 now. Brous must be fuming now.

Zinker: Allergic to curves. If this was a dating site you'd be reported for misogyny.

Benchmade: A worthy maker if everything was $50 cheaper. What do you call a 940-1 that slices better, has stronger lock springs, is as light and half-price? Manix 2 LW.

Zero Tolerance: Only useful for when another company/maker can't make a quality product.

Victorinox: Most impressive company on this list, considering any model you buy is at most 33% knife.

Rockstead: You'll cry when you pay the bill. Then cry again when your tears scratch up the mirror polish. Then again when the warranty doesn't cover the mistakes of your second sob.

Custom Knife Factory: When your financial advisor says to just get a Kevin John or Green Thorn, but you don't want to be judged.

Case: Jelly beans of knives. Old fashioned and colorful and novel, but deep down you know they all taste the same.

Kizer: As someone who fell asleep a lot in European history class, I can still name more actual Kaisers than Kizer models.

Isham Designs: Someone tried to impress a girl at the bar by designing all their knives using a ruler and bottom of a shot-glass.

James Brand: Grandma fell over and got a new hip, and you still have more hip than her.

Grimsmo: Leave it to two Canadians to rub in their healthcare by selling us $800 finger guillotines.

Rike: Once upon a time, a meth head tweaked their way into a machine shop. Then Rike was born.

Giant Mouse: Vox/Anso decide to rehash all of the designs they left behind in Maniago. Better use them all up before Ganzo stops by.

Dude...Now you got me interested....what do you carry?

Haha, well, it would be pretty easy to do this with custom makers too. I have or have had most of the brands mentioned and can still agree with their characterizations.

Geez Dude! Now there are no knife brands left for me to buy! I guess I'll start collecting action figures.

Appreciate the humor; well played, Sir.

I like them all, even Strider and the gas station knives. It's not that I would necessarily buy them, but I appreciate that they will lure a few customers away from the knives that I prefer; which means more knives for me. Brands like Mtech actually set the quality standard for entry level knife buyers. They produce a vast mix of product, some of which performs reasonably well. They give Kershaw, CRKT, Spyderco and the rest something to aim for; which would be knives made well enough to command a premium above Mtech.

Brand fan boys are always due for a disappointment. Not everything made by our favored brands is a gem. It would be much more helpful to take each individual product on its own. Is the performance and quality there and is it worth the requested price to you? Busse might make a terrific knife, but at $600-800 + the cost of a sheath, that Tramontina machete might be just the thing, to take down a couple of branches in the back yard.

It is better to ask which knife is best for my needs.

n2s

I will also add to my previous list Pakistan knives but they are really only found at fleabay and flea markets and gas stops I think also often unlabeled but you know them when you see them. I also avoid Emerson as they are all chisel ground and usually with a right handed chisel, I am a lefty, and he thinks his knives are great when they don't surpass production knives at half the cost.

My other suggestion to Weasipoint Weasipoint is to check out the GBU, Good Bad Ugly, section of the forum and maybe search some makers/brands and see what pops up. I personally tend to focus my interest on anything negative as it is usually obvious when it is a legitimate complaint or even if it is if it is one that bothers me any. You will find most of the horror stories that might give you the insight on weather or not you want to buy a knife from a given makers, brand, or person(when buying on the exchange).

My other suggestion to Weasipoint Weasipoint is to check out the GBU, Good Bad Ugly, section of the forum and maybe search some makers/brands and see what pops up. I personally tend to focus my interest on anything negative as it is usually obvious when it is a legitimate complaint or even if it is if it is one that bothers me any. You will find most of the horror stories that might give you the insight on weather or not you want to buy a knife from a given makers, brand, or person(when buying on the exchange).
Weasipoint Weasipoint ^This is excellent advice. Here's the link: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/feedback-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.699/

Well I think its safe to say my first real post was a "success " and got peoples attention. I learned alot but am more confused than before I asked lol, but really, basic take away - like what you like and try the knife for yourself.
I think your first post was not such a success as you assume. It drew attention but maybe not in a good way. There is no question there are questionable and even very questionable brands out there. Most are very well known by knife aficionados or regular readers of Blade Forums. So, I see your post as stirring (again) the pot or beating (again) the dead horse. It brings nothing to the table. Just my opinion, of course.

Dude...Now you got me interested....what do you carry?

Morning, boss.

I don't carry anything different from any other guys on the forum. If wearing jeans, then a PM2. Anything else I have a Higonokami because it's super light. I have a Bugout on the way to try. In terms of collecting I've mostly went down to knives that are hard to get or have some sort of novelty. My grails would be finding a plain edge Civilian or the G5 Metamorph in that salmon color. So nothing much more than $100 when new.

I've owned or used everything on that immature list I posted. Just wanted to have fun and lighten the mood. The idea was if you exaggerate, like how cartoonists exaggerate facial features, then everything looks bad. Just do what makes you happy.

I bought a Smith & Wesson *tactical* flipper from Big 5 about 20 years ago not knowing anything about their knives (I still have it). I paid just under $10. I overpaid by about $9...

I had no intention of stirring the pot or anything like that, as I stated in the original post I was just looking for advice. Im again sorry for starting such a big debate and I've learned to be more cautious with what I ask and how, but I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse or upset anyone. Ive learned alot looking at these forums and was just trying to get a little more involved

I had no intention of stirring the pot or anything like that, as I stated in the original post I was just looking for advice. Im again sorry for starting such a big debate and I've learned to be more cautious with what I ask and how, but I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse or upset anyone. Ive learned alot looking at these forums and was just trying to get a little more involved

No worries dude! Stir all you like! Questions like this gotta come up every now and then...
I managed to learn a few things.

Can't go wrong with the Buck 110 :thumbsup:
fBpXvPT.jpg

Eh, you didn't start a debate -- you just asked an honest question with complex answers. Some folks here will show up with a debate for everything. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back