Breaking Brand Loyalty

Can't say my love of one company stopped me from buying from another.
There are so many great designs from so many great companies, it's hard not to stray from your favorite.
Joe
Exactly! I am always looking at other companies. I do have companies/makers I like, and will buy from regularly, but they don't solely get my business, not by a long shot.

This thread is also making me think the following:

Is brand loyalty just another way of saying the person is not willing to experience or try new things in life?

Maybe it's a rhetorical question...or maybe it's not!
I should clarify. I was never a crazy brand loyal "fanboy" toward CRKT. I just always leaned toward buying their knives based on look. I was willing to buy from other brands, but just always kept coming back to CRKT.
To answer your question, for other people, yes, I think sometimes it can border on being "unwilling" to try new things. Hopefully those people can break free of that insecurity.

So, did you know that KAI USA (overlord of Kershaw and ZT) is based out of Tualatin? So your local company loyalty need not be tarnished by your new ZT acquisition, for it is also a very local company for you
I didn't know that actually! That's cool. It seems that a lot of knife & tool manufacturers are out of Oregon.

Nah. I actually like to try out different companies and makers. It's part of the fun.

+1 I like to try at least one of as many companies as I can, that have good reviews and designs I like, if I end up not liking it I'll sell it and try another model sometimes, if I do I may end up with more from that company, if I really like it I'll collect multiple versions of the same knife (PM2, buck marksman, BM 710, ect)

I am certainly brand loyal in that if I am itching for a new, relatively expensive folder, I know that buying from ZT is a strong gamble, so they will get a good look. But I am first and foremost self loyal, if you will. So if the purchase has let me down, I have less chance of making another from said company

I used to be a die hard Wenger guy. Then at last I tried a Victorinox. It really broadened my horizons.

I own both and have found that Victorinox seems to have a little better quality control. Of course, now that Vic owns Wenger...

I used to be a die hard Wenger guy. Then at last I tried a Victorinox. It really broadened my horizons.
Have to say that's really funny and a huge step into the world of knives. ;)

If you always buy one brand of knives, I wouldn't consider a person a knife knut (not you HB) and that includes buying Chinese made knives.

Brand loyalty exists on all levels, whether you just tend to like the look of the knives made by a certain brand or you are a full on fanboy and can't see anything beyond "your" brand. For the past year or so, I've always had a little brand loyalty toward CRKT. I know I know... A lot of mixed opinions on CRKT pertaining to materials and poor manufacturing, etc. Yes, I acknowledge that and somewhat agree. But I love their designs and their variety of locks. I live just outside of Portland and like 5 minutes from the Columbia River, so they feel like such a local company (even though Gerber and Benchmade are also based out of Oregon).
BUT, I just bought a ZT 0452cf off of the exchange and HOLY COW! This thing is awesome! The blade shape is nice, the handle fits in my hand perfectly, it's so light but yet feels insanely tough, and the blade flips out so nice.
So now, I have to rethink some things after this and seeing other knives from ZT that I like. Same with Spyderco, Kershaw, and ESSEE.
What I'm asking is have any of you had a case of brand loyalty (no matter the level) broken by a certain knife?

CRKT is a company that works with many designers to come up with all different types of awesomely designed knives. Unfortunately CRKT completely squanders this by taking those awesome designs and producing them poorly. Take a look at the CRKT Sebenza to see one of the worst examples of a wicked design ruined by CRKT. And yes, you read that right, CRKT Sebenza!

Don't get me wrong you they have a few awesome models, but these are often WAY expensive for what you get.

CRKT is a company that works with many designers to come up with all different types of awesomely designed knives. Unfortunately CRKT completely squanders this by taking those awesome designs and producing them poorly. Take a look at the CRKT Sebenza to see one of the worst examples of a wicked design ruined by CRKT. And yes, you read that right, CRKT Sebenza!

Don't get me wrong you they have a few awesome models, but these are often WAY expensive for what you get.
Unfortunately, it's true.

There's nothing wrong with brand loyalty. When customers feel confident in the support and quality of a product they'll continue their support and this will keep the brand in business and increase the depth of their catalog. Companies that go that extra mile for their customers deserve our support.

Now when loyalty ceases to be mutual the problems start.

BUT, I just bought a ZT 0452cf off of the exchange and HOLY COW! This thing is awesome! The blade shape is nice, the handle fits in my hand perfectly, it's so light but yet feels insanely tough, and the blade flips out so nice.

it probably doesn't help that you just got one of the best ZTs out there (my personal favorite). holding that knife makes you feel alive

ah, the legendary plastic frame lock

As long as brand loyalty doesn't become rabid blind fanboyism there ain't nuthin' wrong with it. Many people develop loyalty to all types of brands in all different markets. A favourite car company, a favourite dish soap, Burger King but not Mc.Dicks, Cocacola but never Pepsi.

Why is Coke better than Pepsi, and yet 7up better than Sprite. Pepsi owns 7up

As long as brand loyalty doesn't become rabid blind fanboyism there ain't nuthin' wrong with it. Many people develop loyalty to all types of brands in all different markets. A favourite car company, a favourite dish soap, Burger King but not Mc.Dicks, Cocacola but never Pepsi.

Why is Coke better than Pepsi, and yet 7up better than Sprite. Pepsi owns 7up
used to think mountain dew was better than mellow yellow. not so much anymore. like 'em the same now. less picky i guess...still only drink coke.

used to think mountain dew was better than mellow yellow. not so much anymore. like 'em the same now. less picky i guess...still only drink coke.

I used to be about Mello Yello and C'Plus+ hardcore when I was a kid. Jewish mother did not want me drinking caffeine.

Brand loyalty exists on all levels, whether you just tend to like the look of the knives made by a certain brand or you are a full on fanboy and can't see anything beyond "your" brand. For the past year or so, I've always had a little brand loyalty toward CRKT. I know I know... A lot of mixed opinions on CRKT pertaining to materials and poor manufacturing, etc. Yes, I acknowledge that and somewhat agree. But I love their designs and their variety of locks. I live just outside of Portland and like 5 minutes from the Columbia River, so they feel like such a local company (even though Gerber and Benchmade are also based out of Oregon).
So now, I have to rethink some things after this and seeing other knives from ZT that I like. Same with Spyderco, Kershaw, and ESSEE.
What I'm asking is have any of you had a case of brand loyalty (no matter the level) broken by a certain knife?

Fellow Oregonian here. Actually ZT is just down in Tualatin and everything they make is manufactured right there, in our state. So you're still all good on the regional loyalty. I'm kinda the same way. I enjoy my ZT's, Benchmades, and Leathermans just a bit more knowing that they are each made within about a 15 minute drive from my house.

So many nights i've spent starring at Spydercos and ZT's, but i just stick to my Rat Model 1.
I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories to try something else haha

Rat 1 has never failed me and at it's price point i wouldn't be bothered if it did.
(all it's ever used for is opening mail and packages anyway)

In regards to fixed blades though, there's broken loyalty to my beloved ESEE's,
but when it comes to price point/practicality i find myself a lot more comfortable with them.

Reactions: vba
+1 I like to try at least one of as many companies as I can, that have good reviews and designs I like, if I end up not liking it I'll sell it and try another model sometimes, if I do I may end up with more from that company, if I really like it I'll collect multiple versions of the same knife (PM2, buck marksman, BM 710, ect)
Suspicious. -_-

My Marksman and 710 are "keepers" and I have more than one PM2.

Back