1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking Brand Loyalty

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BlakeHirschmugl, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Exactly! I am always looking at other companies. I do have companies/makers I like, and will buy from regularly, but they don't solely get my business, not by a long shot.

2. BlakeHirschmugl

BlakeHirschmugl

Aug 15, 2017
    I should clarify. I was never a crazy brand loyal "fanboy" toward CRKT. I just always leaned toward buying their knives based on look. I was willing to buy from other brands, but just always kept coming back to CRKT.
    To answer your question, for other people, yes, I think sometimes it can border on being "unwilling" to try new things. Hopefully those people can break free of that insecurity.

I didn't know that actually! That's cool. It seems that a lot of knife & tool manufacturers are out of Oregon.

3. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    +1 I like to try at least one of as many companies as I can, that have good reviews and designs I like, if I end up not liking it I'll sell it and try another model sometimes, if I do I may end up with more from that company, if I really like it I'll collect multiple versions of the same knife (PM2, buck marksman, BM 710, ect)

BlakeHirschmugl likes this.
  4. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I used to be a die hard Wenger guy. Then at last I tried a Victorinox. It really broadened my horizons.

5. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Blasphemy! :eek:

palonej and BlakeHirschmugl like this.
  6. Beansandcarrots

Beansandcarrots

Apr 15, 2014
    I am certainly brand loyal in that if I am itching for a new, relatively expensive folder, I know that buying from ZT is a strong gamble, so they will get a good look. But I am first and foremost self loyal, if you will. So if the purchase has let me down, I have less chance of making another from said company

7. sabre cat

sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    I own both and have found that Victorinox seems to have a little better quality control. Of course, now that Vic owns Wenger...

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Have to say that's really funny and a huge step into the world of knives. ;)

If you always buy one brand of knives, I wouldn't consider a person a knife knut (not you HB) and that includes buying Chinese made knives.

9. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    CRKT is a company that works with many designers to come up with all different types of awesomely designed knives. Unfortunately CRKT completely squanders this by taking those awesome designs and producing them poorly. Take a look at the CRKT Sebenza to see one of the worst examples of a wicked design ruined by CRKT. And yes, you read that right, CRKT Sebenza!

Don't get me wrong you they have a few awesome models, but these are often WAY expensive for what you get.

10. BlakeHirschmugl

BlakeHirschmugl

Aug 15, 2017
    Unfortunately, it's true.

Lapedog likes this.
  11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    There's nothing wrong with brand loyalty. When customers feel confident in the support and quality of a product they'll continue their support and this will keep the brand in business and increase the depth of their catalog. Companies that go that extra mile for their customers deserve our support.

Now when loyalty ceases to be mutual the problems start.

12. josh yu

josh yu Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2017
    it probably doesn't help that you just got one of the best ZTs out there (my personal favorite). holding that knife makes you feel alive

13. josh yu

josh yu Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2017
    ah, the legendary plastic frame lock

14. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    As long as brand loyalty doesn't become rabid blind fanboyism there ain't nuthin' wrong with it. Many people develop loyalty to all types of brands in all different markets. A favourite car company, a favourite dish soap, Burger King but not Mc.Dicks, Cocacola but never Pepsi.

Why is Coke better than Pepsi, and yet 7up better than Sprite. Pepsi owns 7up

15. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    used to think mountain dew was better than mellow yellow. not so much anymore. like 'em the same now. less picky i guess...still only drink coke.

palonej and Lapedog like this.
  16. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I used to be about Mello Yello and C'Plus+ hardcore when I was a kid. Jewish mother did not want me drinking caffeine.

jbmonkey likes this.
  17. halden.doerge

halden.doerge Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Fellow Oregonian here. Actually ZT is just down in Tualatin and everything they make is manufactured right there, in our state. So you're still all good on the regional loyalty. I'm kinda the same way. I enjoy my ZT's, Benchmades, and Leathermans just a bit more knowing that they are each made within about a 15 minute drive from my house.

18. Dair

Dair Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 14, 2017
    So many nights i've spent starring at Spydercos and ZT's, but i just stick to my Rat Model 1.
    I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories to try something else haha

Rat 1 has never failed me and at it's price point i wouldn't be bothered if it did.
    (all it's ever used for is opening mail and packages anyway)

In regards to fixed blades though, there's broken loyalty to my beloved ESEE's,
    but when it comes to price point/practicality i find myself a lot more comfortable with them.

19. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Suspicious. -_-

My Marksman and 710 are "keepers" and I have more than one PM2.

20. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I will buy whatever I like regardless of brand.