Broken backspring Queen

EngrSorenson

Gold Member
Basic Member
Things under tension can break.

If this is something you really feel you had to convey, I look forward to reading your “Material Science for Dummies” book. :D

The broken ones I've seen there was no corrosion deep enogh to impact structural integrity.

Corrosion doesn’t have to be deep in a flexing piece of metal to contribute to its failure. In fact the outsides of a spring is the most critical area because that is where the spring carries the highest compression/tension loading. Once there’s surface imperfections there are now local places for stress concentration, which starts the failure process if the spring isn’t robust enough to handle those concentrated stresses.

but in the spirit of your opening line, “Rust bad!”. :D

It can happen to any brand including customs.

Sure, nothing is absolute, but unless the failure rate for that failure mode is consistent across all brands, it’s more than just bad luck. Since no one is really pulling the data together, we’re shooting off the hip here, but anecdotally it seems that Queen had more than their fair share of spring failures.

One maker opined they thought it could be a problem with the peening of the main pin.

Maybe, but there’s so many possible contributors, like inconsistencies in the steel stock like voids or interstitial cracks, or non-uniform heat treatment or cracks introduced the fabrication of the spring.

Back to my main point- I’m surprised that the spring would fail under a static load.

Back to my main point- I’m surprised that the spring would fail under a static load.
Me, too.

Purely anecdotally, it kinda seems like I read as many "I discovered it broken in the box." reports as "It broke while I was opening both blades on the same spring to take a picture."
Could be folks are less likely to post when they know why it broke and feel responsible. :oops:

I have a Schrade 34OT I bought in 2004-2005 at a local hardware store.
Opened the box and the main spring was broke.
Only time this has happened to me by any brand.
ps Had it fixed by Dale Vincent [Orvett] and it's been fine ever since.

EngrSorenson

Gold Member
Basic Member
That's the silver lining... enjoy them while we can. :cool::thumbsup:

Lets face it- I'm going to fall apart long before some of my favorite knives.
As young and vibrant as R8shell seems to be, however, she might outlast a most of hers.

(especially if the springs keep snapping in the box)