Broken mora's?

I feel like the Mora Companion Heavy Duty is a response to the whole bushcraft/batoning issue. Sure, not all knives are designed to take the abuse, but some are. I think the key is to be reasonable with it--ie, don't baton a mora or similarly thin knife through knots, etc. My first real knife that I practiced bushcraft with was a BK2, and I batoned it through everything I could and then some--knots in dry oak, everything. For years. If batoning could break that knife, then it would have broken. I've had good luck with my swamprats (and Moras!) too, but I haven't beat on them as extensively.

I like minimalism and simplicity--unless I'm with my truck, I don't have an axe. Life is much less stressful when I don't have a bunch of things to carry or worry about. I've come to realize it's one of the reasons I like backpacking so much more than car camping, and why I like survival stuff so much. It's comforting to just have a couple items and know I can not just survive, but enjoy life as much if not more than I do at home.

I find humor in the irresistability of the baton discussion. It always gets results. I share once or twice, then I get tired of it... But I am glad others have more staying power to continue the discussion...

I just snapped one yesterday messing around with my beater 510. It's completely my fault though as I was prying in some punkwood that wasn't as soft as I thought. I'll try to upload some pictures up tomorrow.

I just snapped one yesterday messing around with my beater 510. It's completely my fault though as I was prying in some punkwood that wasn't as soft as I thought. I'll try to upload some pictures up tomorrow.
Broken knives... tools of any sort... assuming they were quality made to begin with...are usually caused by user error. Misjudging the strength and appropriateness for the task attempted. No big deal most of the time as we get do-overs. An excuse to buy another knife. Or two. Or...

I've done a fair share of batoning in small, 2" or less dia. softwood making kindling, all of it dry however. I also have hammered it into 3/8" drywall once to start a cutout, but don't feel it would damage anything my blade. I have developed a bit of blade wiggle in and out, I believe due to splitting some wet wood about 3" in diameter this spring when my hatchet was out of action.

Today I was cutting through some caulk on the kitvhen countertop in our newest rental home, silicone I believe but you can never be sure if things were done properly. I was pull cutting with two hands, and had the blade sunk in the caulk while cutting. When I went to pull it out, the blade came out ~1/4"
I've only had play for a few months, and I do use this hard, but since my birthday is this week I'll be getting a HighQ Electrician for work, and put this one out of service until I can fix it. I haven't found any threads discussing fixing this problem though.

4a95398eee0db2b0a01238c3e522b2f5.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated. I have done more than put this through its paces for three years, so I'll be sure to buy more.

Connor

I've done a fair share of batoning in small, 2" or less dia. softwood making kindling, all of it dry however. I also have hammered it into 3/8" drywall once to start a cutout, but don't feel it would damage anything my blade. I have developed a bit of blade wiggle in and out, I believe due to splitting some wet wood about 3" in diameter this spring when my hatchet was out of action.

Today I was cutting through some caulk on the kitvhen countertop in our newest rental home, silicone I believe but you can never be sure if things were done properly. I was pull cutting with two hands, and had the blade sunk in the caulk while cutting. When I went to pull it out, the blade came out ~1/4"
I've only had play for a few months, and I do use this hard, but since my birthday is this week I'll be getting a HighQ Electrician for work, and put this one out of service until I can fix it. I haven't found any threads discussing fixing this problem though.

Any and all help is appreciated. I have done more than put this through its paces for three years, so I'll be sure to buy more.

Connor

The rat tail tang is just pulling out of the handle. I'd probably just pull it the rest of the way out, put a little epoxy on the tang and shove it back in there. Put the blade in a bench vise and work with the handle, be careful!

Thanks shooter! I'm gonna bundle up and go out to yank it off. I'll let you all know tomorrow how it handles the caulk after a resetting in the handle.

Connor

Well, I couldnt get the blade out so instead of epoxy I simply hammered it back in tight. No play or wiggle after a days work yesterday.

Connor

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I find humor in the irresistability of the baton discussion. It always gets results. I share once or twice, then I get tired of it....

Baton with them, butter your toast, juggle with them. They aren't mine. Odds are pretty low that I will lay sleepless tonight worrying about what others here do with/to their own property.

I once got a Mora 546 so stuck in a hard wood knot I beat it like a madman. Frustration got the better of me. Slightly pulled the blade out of handle. The beating was legendary though. Sometime when it's cold and you're tired stuff happens, well occasionally to me anyways. Sometimes it's just work stupider. LOL! I got pics someplace if anyone is interested but must have posted them before. Pushed the blade back into the handle it was only a slight pull and it's ok however one day want to re handle the knife as it's the older 546.
Oh yeah. I get ya. Sometimes the Neanderthal comes out. :) Luckily, most knives break in a way that you still have a stubby knife and a steel wedge. Not ideal but still useful.

If you went back in time to the old school mountain man days and started batoning with your knife, they'd look at you like you had three heads and were a crazy greenhorn. :D

Back