Buck 110/112 with oak scales (or not)

Was the BOTM 112 made with 'Distinct African Ebony' sourced from Taylor guitars? I thought the announcement was well after the BOTM 112's were made..

They made the announcement after they were made, they were on the website ready to sell.....With the regular production 110, 112, etc....

All the speculation here is funny. What I can tell you is that my custom shop oak 112 is laminated oak, not birch, and not sold oak. Your knife does almost look like beech. Maybe the manufacture mixed up the stock and shipped it to Buck. Maybe when the resin filled up the pores in the oak it looks like beech. Nice knife though.

That is interesting to hear, because I've been wondering whether also the custom shop was a wood lottery. Would love to see a picture of your custom 112 in oak!

If i am not mistaken the diamond wood is stabilized so no water is not going to have that effect on it. As mentioned it is likely the glue lin between layers and should have been culled.
Diamond wood is real wood just layers of it glued together to help prevent splitting. The scales are so thin why give a rip if its diamond wood or one piece as long as the finish layer is nice. On a relatively flat knife as a 110. On a contoured handle such as a 119 sure i'd prefer one piece over laminated.

Last edited:
IMG-20151122-150004.jpg

This is my oak 110 from the same vendor. I think it was bought in 2017. I would say it looks a little different than the one in the beginning of this thread one could argue it is still not real oak. Never thought much of it.

IMG-20151122-150004.jpg

This is my oak 110 from the same vendor. I think it was bought in 2017. I would say it looks a little different than the one in the beginning of this thread one could argue it is still not real oak. Never thought much of it.

This does look like oak to me, thanks for sharing!

there would be no end grain on dymondwood.

kossetx, I think we were talking about two ways of looking at end grain: macro and micro. I was thinking about using a microscope to look at individual cells.

Bert

Last edited:
Back