buck 110 or 112

I've owned these on and offand have traded them or gave them away.. I do like the way they feel, but I don't hear much about them in this particular forum, I know alot of folks swear by them and they are readily available, so I just wanted to collect some opinions..on what fols think of these for outdoor use, Personally I like them, I think the hollow grind turns some folks off, just getting opinions. Thanks.

oddly enough, i have never used or owned a buck product, so my opinions arent based on a whole lot. i think that the 110 is a bit large for a folder, as it is closer to the size of a fixed blade. and because of the weight, i would rather carry the fixed blade. i dont know anything about the 112, so i have nothing to say.

I actually prefer the 110 I bought my dad for Father's Day years ago with my lawnmowing money. The 112 feels funny in my hand. My personal favorite along that style is actually the Schrade Old Timer 60t, I believe it is called a Bear Paw...

PeACE
Dougo

oddly enough, i have never used or owned a buck product, so my opinions arent based on a whole lot. i think that the 110 is a bit large for a folder, as it is closer to the size of a fixed blade. and because of the weight, i would rather carry the fixed blade. i dont know anything about the 112, so i have nothing to say.

I kinda agree w/BF on the large part, If you are going to get a Large folder w/sheath to pack on your side then why not go one step further & get yourself a good small fixedblade to wear on your side, it's going to be about the same size & weight but only stronger (being a fixedblade)
Thats just my opinion.

i don't personally have or have used either one, but a few things that keep me from owning them...

the hollow grind (easily modified)
the steel on the standard models (pretty good for stainless in my experience, but i prefer something like Case CV for edge retention)
the weight-these are pretty heavy knives, even the smaller one. i prefer to carry a mora for the same blade length and much lighter weight...also no folding action)
single blade-not a terrible thing, i have some single blades that i carry, but i prefer multiblades like a stockman for the same weight.

but, these have been around for quite some time, are made in the USA (i understand there are some exceptions?), and a whole lot of people swear by them. i know this guy that has been using the same one for longer than he can remember. the tip is broken, there is a small chip out of the blade, and the whole knife looks like someone tossed it down niagra falls, but the lockup is still solid and the knife is still going strong.

also, a custom can be ordered with fancier steels for those who aren't satisfied with the performance of the stock 420.

a fine knife for sure, but it really just doesn't tickle my fancy.

edited to add; re barberfobic and coaldigger...something to consider is that in some locations fixed blades are a nono but folders are allowed...like in california.

Personally I prefer the 112 with the shorter 3 inch blade..( i like smaller knives) I have fixed blades as well son no need to try and sway me, just a folder is easier to "mac" for me.

I keep a Buck 110 in my buttpack as a back-up knife. It has enough blade length and heft to do anything I could convieve of doing with a fixed blade, and is solid enough for the same. The blade is even well suited to slicing and even cleaning game (though a folder would never be first choice for that) It does that without giving up the benefits of a folding knife (easy of carry, etc...). The blade comes from the factory with an excellent edge and feels good in the hand. There not too much bad that I could say.

I have and like the 110. It's kind of a get er done knife. Not exactly one to do much wood carving with but good for general work.

I had a 110 and liked it. Sold it to a friend--he admired it so much I let him buy it!

The 110 is a little on the heavy side for a folder, but it's really not that big....certainly smaller than the average fixed-blade.
It's only 4 7/8" closed.
And it's only 7.2 oz, which isn't much in my opinion....just 3 oz more than a Spyderco Military.

Last edited:
I bought a 112 when I was like 16 in 1974. I carried it every day in the army. Even modified the sheath to carry horizontal. I carry mostly spyderco now but I have "rediscovered" the Buck recently. It is still a good knife. I always liked the 112. Just a little smaller than the 110 and it seemed to fit me better. I suspect you will be happy with whatever one you pick.

KR

I had one because I liked the idea, but after using it, moved on to other things. The tip is delicate, which makes it a fairly light use knife, but the weight is excessive for a light use knife. After some cuts using heavy pressure, the lockup was not as tight. It just seemed like a large, heavy, light use knife. I loved the look and feel, but it just did not click for me.

A friend gave me the 560? which has the same blade, but a titanium handle. They are no longer made, but they make a lot more sense to me than the 110 because they weigh so much less, but still do the same job.

The 110 makes a nice barbeque knife though, or a good one to throw in a kit in the car.

Both are good knives, and I use them mainly as hunting knives to dress game..not my favorite for camping hiking etc. I may be wrong but IMO A Mora can do everything a Buck 110 can do and then some with less weight and no moving parts.A alox sak feels sturdier than the 110 or 112 to me for wood working.All that being said I do like em..just not practical for me.

I have a 110 and it's a pretty good knife.It's my favourite folder,but it's too heavy and big for EDC :( For an outdoor folder it's good.112 has too short blade for me...

I have several of both models, but I find myself carrying a 110 more. I carry one everyday and they are not to heavy and are just the right size to cover most cutting tasks.

I prefer the 110.
Part of it is due to my upbringing. You weren't "one of the boys" until dad bought you, and entrusted to you, your first Buck 110. Once you had a genuine "Buck knife" (as if the 110 was the only knife Buck made), you were there.

I also think it's a nice looking knife -- I still wear it to church and social type functions. It's also almost universally accepted. You can carry a Buck 110 (or 112 for that matter) almost anywhere, and very few, if any, people will consider it a weapon.

Also recongize that it is called a "Buck 110 Hunter". it's meant for game prep, which it does well (you'll get no argument from me that any of a myriad of fixed blades are better). It was not meant to be a woodscraft knife, and with its notoriously fine tip, won't survive long if you do too much batoning or prying with it. I really don't mind the 420HC they use now. It's almost as easy as 1095 to sharpen, stays sharp about as long, and has the advantage of being stainless, for those that prefer stainless knives.

Sure there's "better" knives, performance-wise, but it's hard to compete with either the 110 or 112 as far as price, wide availability and acceptability.

Back