Buck 110 Pro is Broken...

skypeace

Basic Member
I have this Buck 110 Pro that is broken. I have only had it two months and it was very gritty opening and closing so I thought I would just work it in over and over and clean it every so often. Well the action stayed gritty, but today as I was opening and closing it, it got smoother so I was like yeah that is nice. Opened and closed it a few more times and it just stopped locking altogether and the blade just got limp and hangs loosely from it.

I have only seen the diagrams of how these things work and I am curious as to what may be wrong with it? Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can send it back for warranty service, but I still would like to know what could have happened?

Makael

Books temporarily closed on sheath orders.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
You should be able to see anything broken with a flashlight inside the knife. Broken spring maybe?
I have this Buck 110 Pro that is broken. I have only had it two months and it was very gritty opening and closing so I thought I would just work it in over and over and clean it every so often. Well the action stayed gritty, but today as I was opening and closing it, it got smoother so I was like yeah that is nice. Opened and closed it a few more times and it just stopped locking altogether and the blade just got limp and hangs loosely from it.

I have only seen the diagrams of how these things work and I am curious as to what may be wrong with it? Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can send it back for warranty service, but I still would like to know what could have happened?

skypeace

Basic Member
Looked with a flashlight and nothing looks broken but there is little to no tension on the locking back.

Maybe something is wrong with the bottom of the blade. I think that may have been the problem why it has always been so gritty.

Last edited:

BuckShack

Gold Member
Any metal fragments fall out? Something must have broken off where it locks. Sorry to here this.

skypeace

Basic Member
Is the spring still in there?
Yes the spring is still there, everything looks good right up to the blade.

Any metal fragments fall out? Something must have broken off where it locks. Sorry to hear this.

Haven't found any, but have always thought very fine metal particles have been coming out of it as I would get feelings of metal, but nothing I could see. I think something may have broken off or wore off, like you say, where it locks.

I have yet to ever carry this particular knife as I have never had confidence in it from its grittiness. Funny about what leaves the house with me, more so if going to the woods.

Last edited:

Makael

Is the lockbar stuck in the depressed position? So simple there must be something visible showing the problem

Last edited:

skypeace

Basic Member
Thanks Mike,
Nope! The lockbar isn't stuck but from the way it is acting either the nub at the top of the lock bar is missing a piece or the slot for it to go in on the bottom of the blade is missing a piece. That is probably it. When I send it in will Buck tell me what actually happened?

Makael

Thanks Mike,
Nope! The lockbar isn't stuck but from the way it is acting either the nub at the top of the lock bar is missing a piece or the slot for it to go in on the bottom of the blade is missing a piece. That is probably it. When I send it in will Buck tell me what actually happened?
I'm sure they will.

st8yd

Gold Member
They probably wont bothe to tell you unless you ask.
My 110 slim pro is a little gritty, but you can see that the blade didnt get completely smooth where the lock bar rides over it giving it that feel. If i hold the lock open so it doesnt ride on the blade then it is smooth. Not worth the effort to send back, one day i'll stick something in there to smooth it down.
But Bucks customer service has been nothing less than great and over and above in my experiene.

skypeace

Basic Member
They probably wont bother to tell you unless you ask.
My 110 slim pro is a little gritty, but you can see that the blade didnt get completely smooth where the lock bar rides over it giving it that feel.
Figured it might be hard to get an answer as I am sure they have more important things to do. Quite glad they have survived the BoogerFlu. My 110 Slim Pro is a fine knife, has worked in reasonably well, I carry it in my back pocket although I haven't figured out just what its role is, lol. I love the blade, but the knife is so light I am confused as to just what to do with it. I might peel and slice apples or other fruit with it.

The one that is broken is a 110 Pro, never carried it since I got it back in the beginning of December. I so wanted to carry it, but it was just too gritty even after cleaning it numerous times. I think they will find some sort of irregularity with the metals in it.

Send it back to Buck for a replacement .I just got one of the pros myself,it's %100. Perfect in every way,I was very impressed with it.youll get a good one when they replace it,I also wonder what it could be,one never knows .

skypeace

Basic Member
Send it back to Buck for a replacement .I just got one of the pros myself,it's %100. Perfect in every way,I was very impressed with it.youll get a good one when they replace it,I also wonder what it could be,one never knows .
Congrats on your new 110 Pro. They are the bees knees and the only ones I like better are the 110 Elites. Went to print the return form and found the printer has no ink so I have got to order that before I can send the knife back, lol, Murphy's Law.

J Hubbard

I just recreated this accidently I think. I was cycle testing a 110 and forgot to oil it. The blade radius became galled up and took off enough material to allow the blade to hang down freely and not lock up any more. :). Likely OPs was galled from the factory (thus the gritty feel) and no amount of breaking in would help as the material is already gone. Just an educated S.W.A.G.