Buck Hoodlum: What's the Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this has been fascinating. I just noticed that Nutnfancy just got through batoning the new Cold Steel Voyagers. Has it come to the point where folders are judged, too, on how well they split wood? I recall a couple of years ago someone here batoned a CRKT M21-04. Great knife, a bit on the heavy side, but a nice broad blade and the LAWKS. My choice in the Voyager was a Vaquero blade style, which I don't imagine would baton well. Perhaps that's why they're cheaper than the Clip Point version! I imagine I could baton with a Vaquero plain edge if I had to, but I just don't think knives, especially folders, should be judged on how well they split wood. (I can just see Abraham Lincoln splitting wood with a folding knife....)

The Colt 1911 was designed to be reliable and, of course, extraction of spent shells was the center on its reliability. It's interesting how the Beretta M92 achieved reliability without the need for any extractor. The whole outdoors was its loading and extraction chamber! Innovation gave rise to an entire generation of ultra reliable pistols. But innovation is always based in common sense practicality. The whole "notch" controversy, not to mention the problems with heat treat, would have been handled much differently had Ron Hood still been alive. Again, I suspect his family sees it as his final work...that he's somewhat embodied in the design. It didn't help that Ron may have set expectations a bit high for the knife. People say, "Well, Ron Hood said that the knife would do this and that, but when I tried it, it broke!" So they send it back to Buck and they have to back it up.

Of course, the family points to the hundreds of knives being sold and used without any problems and perhaps rightly concludes that breakages are exceedingly rare. You just won't see me taking a hundred and twenty dollar knife and pounding it into wood with a hammer or a log! I have a $13 knife that will do that just fine! (See previous post.)

Still, I'd like to have the option of passing on the notch!

"A knife appears on the shelf as a quality tool. A beautiful steel blade which, if cared for, would last a couple of generations. But some people find that carrying a hatchet into the wilderness is too heavy. They have the option of using a $125 piece of steel to split heavy wood or using another tool!"

I don't know why....

Husqvarna hatchet: 1 lb 5 oounces
Kabar bowie with SHEATH: 1 lb 4 ounces
Hoodlum with SHEATH: 1 lb 7 ounces
Mini Hatchet Head: 9 oz
Dry wall hammer head: profile: wedge: lots of mechanical advantage for splitting: 12 ounces

Buck has VERY EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ive read more than a few forums on here, and retzius shouldnt be posting, most people on here offer intelligent points when they talk as confidently as you, wow, with a big and strong enough vice, leverage point, and pry bar you can break anything, big deal, the point is this is advertised as a survival knife, not a tomato slicer for the kitchen, and a knifes cutting edge offers a lot of advantage over an axe or something, so rather then having to carry both in a survival situation, its ideal to have a knife that you can also process wood with, which includes batoning, and yes believe it or not, those type of knives do exist, and someone buying a knife of this size expects that, and ive seen multiple videos of people breaking the hoodlum knives with basic batoning, the notch is a design flaw, changing the depth of it was a realization of a design flaw without wanting to admitt is was just a flat out terrible design

The Hoodlum appears to be a very well thought-out design.... except for that accursed notch in the spine!!! That was the only reason I did not get one when I had the chance. any knifemaker makes occasional lemons, but a great design should be improved and refined over time to make it even better. That said, if the notch is ever done away with, I will take a very serious second look at the Hoodlum.

We really don't need to bring this back up after a year just to repeat ideas already presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back