Buck "Survival" Knife?

I'm feeling generous today. Here you go... :D

Hand-Chain-Saw-KUNGIX-24-Inches-Stainless-Steel-Flexible-Wire-Saw-Portable-Mini-Pocket-Survival-Hand-Chain-Saw-for-Camping-Hunting-Survival-Rescue-0.jpg

LOL!

I already had one of those.....I have actually only used it for the occasional assassination, but I suppose it would work for a saw.......lotta work, though.

:D

Reactions: TAH
You don't get a chain saw no gas, I already said 119 long ago, if I just have to have one knife. But a 3/4 Estwing axe will kill a lot of zombies and you keep the juice off your hands. 119 in left hand, axe in right.......I can go with a 124 but I don't have one....all the fun talk leaves out the reality, you likely will have the knife you are carrying.......being able to prepare is different than a modern day experience of car breaking down in middle of nowhere, getting lost while on a cub scout hike, falling into a rapid river after some buddy lights...... I worked in lots of small boats, hiked a mile or two away from the truck and was forced to crawl into a few small airplanes and I never took a survival kit, I wasn't planning to go far from home, so I likely would have only had my pocket knife.(and 12 shots of 9mm).... Speaking to the choir, I know, but in the end you need a knife that allows you to use your skills, the knife, even a Buck, doesn't give you skills.. .300

Last edited:
I try to practice fire making skills or general camping needs 5 to 7 times a year. This year only twice. I wish I had more time to practice different things but there is always something going on taking the time away from it. I do have my youngest son do the same when we are in the mountains. Always have fun doing it. Not so much when it's 100 degrees out.

Our Fall has already started here. With 50's early morning and 75-80* during the day. A fire would feel good at night when out camping.
I like the Est hatchet too. DM

Well head out for a week or so during labor day. Should cool off into the 70s by then

all the fun talk leaves out the reality, you likely will have the knife you are carrying.......

300, you're using way too much common sense here. This thread is about fantasy, knives magically appearing, and forest gnomes. :D

What 300 is saying about being prepared, bore home with me last week. I work a lot of hours each year in very rural areas of my state. Many
things can happen quickly. So, I carry some items in my B.O.Bag. Like the Buck saw, 124 or hatchet, means to build a fire, water, maps, compass, ect.. Anyway, I was driving to get home on a mountain dirt road, 35 miles coming out of a 50 mile in and out mountain passage route.
At this section it was rainy, the road slick with clay top no gravel. My 1 ton truck is heavy w/ equipment. I merely slid off the road. Two tires in soft clay, the other 2 on better road. It kept raining. I had rain gear and hiked up to a ridge but no cell phone service. Taking stock I was ok. Had enough
water & food for the night and next morning. When I don't make it home my wife knows to call State Police and initiate a search. She knew my route and ranches I had to visit. So, I figured, it's after 5pm and will be dark in a few hours. Make plans to spend the night. Someone will find me tomorrow. Then I saw headlights of a SUV coming. A lone trout fisherman making his way to a remote lake. Who happened to have the latest Smart Phone. We hiked
up the ridge and was able to get a text to my wife where I was and send help. That One guy stayed with me talking until the tow truck arrived
after dark and pulled me out. I got home at 11:30. So, it can happen and you need to make some preparations. I'm thankful that my Good Samaritan happened along. And my next male bird dog's name will be Andy. DM

Last edited:
Question: Does the 119 Brahma offer any advantage in construction or strength over the *2nd place* 119 Special? Now that the Brahma is available, would any of you who voted for the 119 Special replace it with a Brahma for any reason?

The sheath that comes with the standard 119 is loads better than the brahma sheath. The guard hangs up bad on the brahma. Otherwise it's a good looking knife. Leather stacked handles feel good. Handle shape is more rounded.

What 300 is saying about being prepared, bore home with me last week. I work a lot of hours each year in very rural areas of my state. Many
things can happen quickly. So, I carry some items in my B.O.Bag. Like the Buck saw, 124 or hatchet, means to build a fire, water, maps, compass, ect.. Anyway, I was driving to get home on mountain dirt road, 35 miles coming out of a 50 mile in and out mountain passage route.
At this section it was rainy, the road slick with clay top no gravel. My 1 ton truck is heavy w/ equipment. I merely slid off the road. Two tires in soft clay, the other 2 on better road. It kept raining. I had rain gear and hiked up to a ridge but no cell phone service. Taking stock I was ok. Had enough
water & food for the night and next morning. When I don't make it home my wife knows to call State Police and initiate a search. She knew my route and ranches I had to visit. So, I figured, it's after 5pm and will be dark in a few hours. Make plans to spend the night. Someone will find me tomorrow. Then I saw headlights of a SUV coming. A lone trout fisherman making his way to a remote lake. Who happened to have the latest Smart Phone. We hiked
up the ridge and was able to get a text to my wife where I was and send help. That One guy stayed with me talking until the tow truck arrived
after dark and pulled out. I got home at 11:30. So, it can happen and you need to make some preparations. I'm thankful that my Good Samaritan happened along. And my next male bird dog's name will be Andy. DM

David, I agree with you and 300 about being prepared. The purpose of this thread is to identify which Buck knife (past or present) someone would want if it "magically" appeared once a survival situation occurred. This scenario gives better results as to which Buck knife might be the best survival knife. :) :thumbsup:

things can happen quickly. So, I carry some items in my B.O.Bag. Like the Buck saw, 124 or hatchet, means to build a fire, water, maps, compass, ect.. Anyway, I was driving to get home on a mountain dirt road, 35 miles coming out of a 50 mile in and out mountain passage route.
after dark and pulled out. I got home at 11:30. So, it can happen and you need to make some preparations. I'm thankful that my Good Samaritan happened along. And my next male bird dog's name will be Andy. DM
Glad that worked out. I have a BO bag as well. Not too much but just enough supplies.

I will continue being a ole F---. The one that needs to magically appear is the one you need......If David had slipped off the road into a river and the cab was filling up with water, I would magically like to have either a one handed opener to cut the seat belt or maybe the seal knife to bust out the windshield with the butt. If you were to go to sleep one night and magically wake up somewhere in the woods, no lights in sight, coyotes howling in the distance, etc., you could make a fire with a 300 but I would rather have a 110 or a 100. Hence, my choice of a 119 for light weight but still capable of hacking wood. Since this is a magic dream you likely would wake up naked or scantily clad. If you didn't have a sheath you would be troubled. With a 301 where would you carry it. With a sheath you could always make a vine belt. But not a toxic vine. I myself would not be accompanied by a gnome but a unicorn for transportation. I am right on the age cutoff for the emergency forest nymph service...would likely be better off with a knife and matches...ha... 300

Last edited:
I will continue being a ole F---. The one that needs to magically appear is the one you need......If David had slipped off the road into a river and the cab was filling up with water, I would magically like to have either a one handed opener to cut the seat belt or maybe the seal knife to bust out the windshield with the butt. If you were to go to sleep one night and magically wake up somewhere in the woods, no lights in sight, coyotes howling in the distance, etc., you could make a fire with a 300 but I would rather have a 110 or a 100. Hence, my choice of a 119 for light weight but still capable of hacking wood. Since this is a magic dream you likely would wake up naked or scantily clad. If you didn't have a sheath you would be troubled. With a 301 where would you carry it. With a sheath you could always make a vine belt. But not a toxic vine. I myself would not be accompanied by a gnome but a unicorn for transportation. I am right on the age cutoff for the emergency forest nymph service...would likely be better off with a knife and matches...ha... 300

Who said anything about being naked!?!? :eek: :D I think you covered all survival situations. My scenario consists of just getting a little lost in the woods. I didn't know there might be cabs filling with water and coyote's howling. Survival is supposed to be fun, not creepy. :D

You know the drill...you're lost in the woods, mountains, jungle, desert (I'll even let you pick the location). Your gear consists of a firestarter, compass, stainless water bottle, and a tarp, but somehow magically, you get to choose one Buck knife (past or present model) for all your survival needs. Which knife would you choose and why?

The sheath that comes with the standard 119 is loads better than the brahma sheath. The guard hangs up bad on the brahma. Otherwise it's a good looking knife. Leather stacked handles feel good. Handle shape is more rounded.

I assume the Brahma's tang width is the same as the Special. So perhaps the only advantage might be the steel pommel for pounding.

I assume the Brahma's tang width is the same as the Special. So perhaps the only advantage might be the steel pommel for pounding.

There's another advantage that's being overlooked... The guard and pommel both have holes so you could conceivably lash it to a limb for a spear, assuming of course that you didn't use a toxic vine.

I haven't voted yet (that I recall) because my survival choice wouldn't be a Buck at all, unfortunately...

But, if my options were a Buck or nothing, which the poll implies; I think it would be the Thug.

For survival, with only one tool choice I would have to have (in this order):
#1 carbon steel blade, not stainless. Bend, not break.
#2 3/16"-1/4" stock for confidence while batoning if need be
#3 a blade 6-8" long. Enough for chopping, but not too much for cleaning small game.
#4 flat ground blade so less binding when batoning or slicing.

What knife do I keep in my pack? Glad you asked... I keep a Tops BOB. I reground the blade to a true scandi and it's a cutting, chopping, batoning machine. What I give up without the flat ground blade I make up in confidence that I'm not going to bend or break it. This is the one I wish Buck would have gotten from them in lieu of the CSAR stuff.

Back