Buck VS Benchmade

Well, I saw that Benchmade VS Spyderco thread, so I got to thinking about Benchmade VS Buck.

Been mainly a Buck guy so far. (with the exception of a Rat Trap folder) Never had a Benchmade, held one once in a knife shop. Felt good,... good quality, yet had a different feel from a Buck.

What are the differences between Buck and Benchmade? Benchmade is a bigger company? Quality is higher? More innovative? Larger product line? Different manufacturing methods? Better QC? ?

I have some money coming to me next month, there are a few Bucks I want, but can’t help but want to “try” some Benchmades.

In all these VS threads it's so hard to pick a winner IMHO. I think when it comes to Production knives, the top ones are Buck, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, and to a lesser extent CRKT, and that's not in that order, they all seem to stand up pretty well with eachother. If I really had to pick say a Buck 110 over a Benchmade Griptilian I would unfortunatly have to pick the Buck 110, but mainly because it's a timeless classic. It's such a hard choice, they all make beautiful quality knives.

I have a Buck 110, a stag handled damascus blade 110 custom, a Knight, a Strider Tarani Police model, and a Cadet coming in the mail. I think that that is about it for my Buck collection. I had a Griptilian 550s pre production, sold that on eBay. Nothing against BM, just wasn't my thing, I'm looking for the new assisted opener, with the removable pins though. Is it called an Apparition? Striped handle.

silenthunterstudios said:
I have a Buck 110, a stag handled damascus blade 110 custom, a Knight, a Strider Tarani Police model, and a Cadet coming in the mail. I think that that is about it for my Buck collection. I had a Griptilian 550s pre production, sold that on eBay. Nothing against BM, just wasn't my thing, I'm looking for the new assisted opener, with the removable pins though. Is it called an Apparition? Striped handle.

That Apparition looks very neat! Never knew it existed untill just now. I don't really like the look of the bolsters but if I had the $150 for it I'm sure it would grow on me. When did these come out? I look over the Benchmade site a lot but have never seen it.

I saw it in Blade magazine, then in a couple of full page ads, I would like to play with it first before I decided to buy it.

i mainly collect and use buck knives, their fit and finish is top notch, they use good steel and their heat treat is overseen by Bos, if not done by him.

the buck strider line is amazing, super tough knives that dont break the wallet.

the alpha hunters are also some of the sweetest looking hard use knives iv ever seen.

iv looked at the BM website alot and nothing their caught my intrest, id say buck is better IMO, but i do wish they would work on some new locking mechanisms.

this thread amazes me, first of all comparing buck to benchmade is like comparing hotdogs to hamburgers,,,

buck knives are very nice, but very different than benchmades, and the quality of benchmade is a bit nicer in my opinion.

SEBENZA!!!

Just had to throw that in. ;) :D

what kind of things make benchmade better in the quality department?

i ask this honestly as i have never really handled a selection of them.

durbanposion said:
Well, they tend to use better blade steels: 154CM, S30V, ATS-34, D2, M2, the good stuff. Most of Buck's knives that I know of use 420 stainless; that's normally a pretty low-end steel, but Buck's heat treatment is superb, and gets a LOT out of it.

For grip materials, Benchmade uses primarily G10 or aluminum. (The Griptilian line is a notable exception, with Noryl GTX scales over steel liners.) Buck's handle materials range from really crappy thermoplastics all the way up to the Good Stuff.

Comparing Benchmade to Buck is more like comparing Land Rover to GM. Benchmade serves a smaller, more discriminating market, concentrating mostly on the high end of the quality scale with a few lower-end models to hook the price-conscious; Buck serves a larger market with a wider product line that ranges from "Wal*Mart"-class all the way up to semi-custom pieces that'll knock yer socks off.

Then there's the issue of style. Lately, Buck seems to be trying to establish a recognizable style in it's new products, with disinctive blade grinds and serration patterns, the use of translucent plastics, etc.; Benchmade's knives are created by individual designers like Mel Pardue, Warren Osborne, Steve Fecas, Alan Elishewitz and Mike Snody, making for a wide array of recognizable styles within the product line.

timjmayer said:
this thread amazes me, first of all comparing buck to benchmade is like comparing hotdogs to hamburgers,,,

buck knives are very nice, but very different than benchmades, and the quality of benchmade is a bit nicer in my opinion.

Tim, you hit the nail straight on the head. Now, if Gary were comparing Buck to say..Gerber or the now defunct Schrade it would make more sense, but compaing Buck to Benchmade is like comparing apples to oranges.

I think overall, Benchmade makes better knives. Thier gold line knives are just about custom quality. Buck is a timeless knifemaker that has classics like the 110 that I still love to this day. The Strider series from Buck is awesome too. If it is a Vs. question I would say Benchmade, because of the quantity of different high end designs, whereas Buck has high end, but in far fewer models. I think I just talked myself in circles. :p

durbanposion said:

i ask this honestly as i have never really handled a selection of them.

For one thing most of Buck's blades are fine blanked 420HC. It's not a bad steel and is quite adequate for mass produced knives and since Buck's got their heat treating just right, their 420HC blades should last a lifetime. Fit and finish is good, but you can tell they are mass produced production knives. Of course there a few higher-end Buck knives with ATS-34 or BG-42 steel as well as materials such as G-10, Titanium and such. Buck's knives are made in the USA, Tawain and China and are backed by solid warranty. If there's something wrong with it, Buck will make it right.

Benchmade's blades (for the most part) are laser cut and are typically 154CM, M2, or S30V steel. They do have several models in 440C and at least one in D2 (I can't remember which model). That's just on their US-made blades. Handle materials range from G-10, Carbon Fibre, Hard anodized aluminum, Titanium, Stainless steel, Wood as well as molded polymers. Fit and finish is near custom. They are just a higher grade knife for a more discriminating knife user. Then again, there's Benchmade's more affordable Red Class which are knives made in Taiwan. Quality, fit/finish on the Red Class knives are quite good and comparable to stuff from CRKT, Timberline, etc.. Benchmade also has a solid warranty. If there's a defect, they'll fix it.

USAFSP said:
I think overall, Benchmade makes better knives. Thier gold line knives are just about custom quality. Buck is a timeless knifemaker that has classics like the 110 that I still love to this day. The Strider series from Buck is awesome too. If it is a Vs. question I would say Benchmade, because of the quantity of different high end designs, whereas Buck has high end, but in far fewer models. I think I just talked myself in circles. :p

I have to agree, benchmade is better IMO.

I have an old Buck 110 from the early 70s that is still in nearly perfect condition. They are truly fine knives and a classic.

I love Buck knives, but Benchmade makes a damn nice knife.

As others have said, it's hard to compare the two because they're so different. But I Can tell you what I like about both, which may or may not be of any use to you.

I like Buck's lines, they're very elegant and smooth. The blades, while being a lesser steel than Benchmade, are durable as hell. The blade on my old 110 takes an edge as good as any higher end steel and holds it pretty well, and at over 30 years old, it hasn't lost much from sharpening. Their fit and finish is first rate. My knife is still tight and locks up without any fear of failure.

What do I like about Benchmade? A lot of the same stuff I like about Buck. I don't own a BM, but have handled a number of them. THeir fit and finish is also first rate. Their blade steel is excellent -- of course a little harder to sharpen than Bucks 420HC, but it holds the edge a lot longer. What I really, really like about Benchmade are their handles. They're weighty and feel really good in the hand.

Take this and everything else with a grain of salt... both companies make excellent knives and you'll likely be happy with which ever you choose.

Ben

you left Camillus off that list.

IMO, best production line knives

Benchmade, Spyderco, Camillus, Al Mar, Microtech

Lower tier: Kershaw, CRKT, Buck, SOG, Cold Steel (due to the use of cheaper steels)

ayzianboy said:
you left Camillus off that list.

IMO, best production line knives

Benchmade, Spyderco, Camillus, Al Mar, Microtech

Lower tier: Kershaw, CRKT, Buck, SOG, Cold Steel (due to the use of cheaper steels)

Not a fan of Camillus and I'm only 10 minutes from their factory... Nope, not at all... :(

Haven't handled Al Mar, Microtech, or SOGgy, so no valid opinion for me there.

I haven't posted much, but I have to say that the Strider/Buck series of knives is pretty nice. I've carried Spyderco, BM, and Emerson, but the S/B is currently my EDC. That should say something.

Gryffin said:
Comparing Benchmade to Buck is more like comparing Land Rover to GM.

Agreed. I'm a little surprised that so many people think they're close. Other than the Mayo, which is top-notch production by any standard, I don't think Buck stands up to the likes of Benchmade, by and large.

Different strokes, though. No argument the 110 is timeless. And does Buck still have that custom shop open, where you can get a semi-customized 110? Very cool idea.

Let's quit trying to figure out which maker is the loser in a comparison. All of the companies under discussion do their best to make compelling, well made products and appeal to a wide range of customers.

I count amont my most regular EDC rotation, one Buck, three Benchmades, one Camillus and two Microtechs and one Spyderco. Occasionally a Pro-tech sneaks in, but only around the house:)

Of these knives, three are frame locks, two are Axis locks, two are Micro-Bar locks and one is a lockback.

Three have titanium handles, two have aluminum handles, one stainless, one Carbon Fiber and one G10.

The knives in question are as folows:

Buck:172 Mayo S30V Ti framelock

Benchmade: 941D2CF Carbon Fiber and D2 Axis lock, 941Ti-01 S30V and Ti Axis lock, 750 Pinnacle 154CM and Ti framelock

Camillus: Talonite EDC Stainless Framelock (did I mentiont it's Talonite?)

Microtech: Old school Socom Elite PE M/A, Amphibian PE M/A both 154CM/ Hard Ano'd aluminum Micro-Bar lock

Spyderco: Native LE CPM-440V PE G10 lockback

I've not had enough history with Camillus or Spyderco to comment on their customer service, but in my experience, Buck, Benchmade and Microtech all get good marks. Buck returned a 25 year old 110 that had been beaten hard (literally) to as new condition for no charge, Benchmade has replaced a damaged blade that was clearly not covered under warranty at no charge and Microtech has taken good care of me on the two occasions where I needed support from them (one totally my fault).

All of these manufacturers make great knives and as far as I can tell they all stand behind them. Most all have special editions that appeal to the collector as well as entry level imported offerings for mass consumption. They have a wide range of product offerings to appeal to a wide range of customers. It should be obvious by my list of EDCs that I've focused in on a certain segment of the market (slim, limited edition tactical folders), but you may be focused on something else like slip joints or drop point hunters, or perhaps how many ten dollar knives you can own. To each, his own.

Let's talk about the knives we like and how they compare to other knives instead of trying to turn knife discussion into a professional sports style arguement about who has the better team.

John

Back