Buck VS Benchmade

imho buck/strider folders are pretty darned good albeit heavy/thick folders, imho they are the top of the buck line, i dont care about the 110 personally i had several in the old days but carrying them without a pocket clip and no stud to open it doesnt work for me, i like the newer stuff myself, BM on the other hand makes many many diff models that all fit my needs perfectly (ie 630 skirmish, 806, 710, etc) so i would say due to having a larger selection of modern folders it would be BM #1 in this race, for folders, i cant even think of a buck that matches up well with the skirmish, for my needs anyway.

now fixed blades? another story, the 2 co's are almost polar opposites in this regard, BM with only a few FB while buck has many many models of them.

now in the '80s the 110 and the gerber FS11 were the thing, nothing compared to them, times change.

Benchmade makes very good knives and I think it comes down to personal needs and handling characteristics. Buck excells with their classic stuff ,but its hard to compare the handling of a 110 with a Griptillian. I have an older Ascent and a Mini Grip, and my FIL has a Rant and a Buck 450. I havent seen either in quite a while for sharpening. I like em both.

I know it's just my opion, but I think the Benchmades have the edge (pardon the pun) on quality. There are definitely some higher quality blade materials available from Benchmade, and when you factor in the Axis lock that just about sums it up. If your picking a knife for EDC and you trust a lockback knife over the Axis lock system please educate me on this choice. Lockbacks, linerlocks, etc. just do not offer the security of the Axis. The last difference I would offer up is the feel of a the particular knife. The 806 series feels so balanced and secure, and the 710 is worth consideration too. I have an older Buck 110 and several of the Case trapper series and keep them primarily for sentimental value, so I am not totally against Buck.

710BMFAN

Joe Talmadge said:
Agreed. I'm a little surprised that so many people think they're close. Other than the Mayo, which is top-notch production by any standard, I don't think Buck stands up to the likes of Benchmade, by and large.
I think you missed my point.

What I was trying to say was, Benchmade's line runs from near-custom (their Gold Line) down to what us Knuts consider "mid-level" quality (the Red Line); whereas Buck's product line covers a much wider market, from near-custom (the Mayo, Koji, etc.) all the way down to the $10 junk (Juno, Metro, etc.). Buck covers a much wider chunk of the market than Benchmade, including the cheap-but-lucrative low end the Benchmade doens't even try to sell to.

To clarify my analogy: Benchmade is to Land Rover (from $100k Range Rover down to the $40k Discovery) as Buck is to GM ($100k H1 or tricked-out Escalade, down to $9k Geo Metro). Not exactly apple-to-apples.

Back