Buck vs Case

You get the biggest bang for the BUCK with BUCK! Case's q.c. has spiralled downward. I recently got one that came with no sharpening, it took Case about 6 weeks to replace the knife. The knife they sent as a replacement had loose blades and blade rub, not to mention several other minor problems.

Having just bought a couple of Case knives, they may very well become the first knives I've bought that will NOT be users. I bought them because I was thinking, "Hey, inexpensive, acceptable steel, nice scales (one stag, one red jigged bone)." But, I dunno. The blades just aren't up to my standards. Not really a QC problem, just not ... users. And definitely not like the old Case knives that my dad used to have. Too many rounded edges (including the one you're supposed to cut with), not enough sharp edges or points (including the clip point). I'll probably try to sharpen them up nicely, and may even try to carry the red bone one. But, I just don't like them as much as the old Buck Colt I just retired a while back. I had use that knife so much, and resharpened the clip point (when I wasn't as good at sharpening) so much that most of the belly was gone.

If it's gonna be a user, then I'd have to say it's GOTTA be a Buck.

Now... about those Queen/Schatt&Morgan/Robeson.... where can one find those?
smile.gif

------------------
iktomi

So, Mike J, what did you end up getting? Anything? I looked at a Buck 703 today and have to admit, it's a HECK of a nice looking knife. A real tank, but easy to look at too.

If you really want a Case user,I recommend picking up an older one from the 70's or older at a knife show or even flea market.These were the good ones.There are alot of them out there and they are pretty easy to find.They have the original Case CV blade steel and the fit and finnish is way better that the new ones.The new ones,in my opinion are not ment to be used.If they were then they should at least have a point on them!If you want other traditional style knives then by all means check out the Shatt and Morgan and Queen knives or any other knives by the Blue Grass company.Thanks
scott

Originally posted by rockspyder:
Having just bought a couple of Case knives, they may very well become the first knives I've bought that will NOT be users. I bought them because I was thinking, "Hey, inexpensive, acceptable steel, nice scales (one stag, one red jigged bone)." But, I dunno. The blades just aren't up to my standards. Not really a QC problem, just not ... users. And definitely not like the old Case knives that my dad used to have. Too many rounded edges (including the one you're supposed to cut with), not enough sharp edges or points (including the clip point). I'll probably try to sharpen them up nicely, and may even try to carry the red bone one. But, I just don't like them as much as the old Buck Colt I just retired a while back. I had use that knife so much, and resharpened the clip point (when I wasn't as good at sharpening) so much that most of the belly was gone.

If it's gonna be a user, then I'd have to say it's GOTTA be a Buck.

Now... about those Queen/Schatt&Morgan/Robeson.... where can one find those?
smile.gif

A.G. Russell has a good selection of Schatt & Morgans, including a fair number of "back issues". A.G. also carries some Queen and Robeson knives, too. I recommend, however, that you contact Queen Cutlery Company ( 26 Empire Street, Franklinville, NY 14737 attn. John P. O'Brien or 800-299-2616) for information on Queen dealers near you. Queen knives can be a pain to locate, at times, and they aren't the cheapest knives around but their quality more than compensates for the small extra effort and expense

------------------

Back