• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BudK: A good seller?

Hello all!

I've received one of BudK's catalogs, and am liking a few of the items I see.

http://budk.com/default.asp

However, I am not sure if they are a good supplier. (I've only bought from Atlanta Cutlery before but was very pleased.)

Are their knives (and other items) good quality? Worth the money? They seem to be pretty cheap. Is that because they are a good bulk supplier or their items are low in quality?

I see they sell many respectable brands (Tomahawk, Sypderco, Smith & Wesson, etc.) but other "brandless" items are what concern me. I have an interest in their "Secret Agent Sword" in particular, see here:

http://budk.com/43_bk906/p/43 BK906/p2p/rn/

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Spencer

Hang around here for a while. We'll get ya pointed in the right direction.

Most of what is in that Catalog is pretty low on the quality rung, but there might be a decent knife or three in there.

Welcome to BFC. Lots of good information and good people to be found here.

Go onto budk.com. Look on the right side of the home page under brands and take your pick. They have some name brand stuff and you can also get those nun-chuks you always wanted!:cool:
Chickenplucker

Hmm, I thought they looked sort of fishy. They have good prices on some name brands, but I hesitate to step outside of that.

On the other hand, being a passionate fan of black/stealth ops knives, I'm still curious about the fantasy sword I linked above. Has anyone seen one themselves?

I have a few blackened knives already, as in the Tomahawk Tanto (18"), Stealth Ranger, Fury Glacier Bay, MTech Spider folder, etc. As to how the quality/style looks, the fantasy sword looks most like the Tomahawk Tanto. Do you think it might be similar, or much lower quality? What is your opinion of the Tanto? I got mine for only ten dollars; some may call it cheap, but honestly I don't need a $100+ Arkansas toothpick. I like my knives inexpensive, but still a good quality for the price. I've been happy with Atlanta Cutlery so far. So mainly I'm trying to see where it is on my scale (like the knives I have, or worse?).

Fantasy, I know, but I can't help but love the look of it. :p

Thanks for the help, all! I'm guessing I'll be learning alot from you all. Gosh, I feel like a novice around here! Well...I kind of am, I guess, huh? :p

Spencer

I've never heard anything bad about BudK's service. It's only $12.00. If you get it an it's a piece of junk, it didn't cost you much. You never know, you might like it. However, I agree with the others that you should be looking at higher quality stuff.

My best advice is to stick around here and ask questions and listen, these guys know alot.

As for black stealth ops knives....
http://www.darkopsknives.com/
:rolleyes:

For some real good brands and knives just ask around.
Its better to have one good knife then 20 bad ones.

-Mac

If you want to buy a cheap piece of junk because you like the look of it, no problem, go for it. As long as all you do is stick it on a shelf and look at it and you like it there is no reason you shouldn't buy it.

If, on the other hand, you want to buy a reasonable quality knife that you can actually use, even a relatively low priced one, there are plenty of those around and people here can make suggestions based on what you want.

Hmm...thanks for the info guys. I just might pass on it.

OTOH, what is your opinion of, say, Tomahawk, Fury, etc?

Why don't you tell us what you're looking for and, perhaps, what you want to use it for and we can make some recommendations. What is your maximum spend?

Their service is very good, however as you have heard several times here the knives are very cheaply made. I have bought some cheap folders from them knowing they were trash before I bought them, but I liked the style. If you are looking for a user than pass them by....I bought a 22" folding clasp knife that was very good for the price and ended up getting three more as gifts. Everyone loved them.....

Do not buy swords from BudK. With the exception of some of the cold steel swords and maybe a few other things (some of which are also questionable) they sell decorative swords only.

Or in other words, with swords as with most things you actually do get what you pay for. There's a REASON that some swords cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars and that others cost less then 50 dollars. Some of those reasons have to do with who made it and where, but a whole lot of them have to do with the materials that are used and the construction of the sword. You do NOT want an unsafe sword... not that is unless you are in the market for decorative objects in which case BudK is an excellent place to shop.

Oh, and I've ordered from Budk a lot (but not for swords) and their customer service and shipping is first rate.

Master cutlery is also a cheap importer of generic knives.
Neather make knives they just have their name put on them.

Good knife companys are...
Busse
Spyderco
RAT
Scrap Yard Knives
Bark River Knife and Tool
Swamp Rat Knives
Benchmade
Kershaw
Foster
Case
Buck
Ka-bar
Strider(if you can afford them)

I'm sure other members can add some more.

Make sure you take that thread I posted with a grain of salt.
Most of it is sarcastic. :D

Master cutlery is also a cheap importer of generic knives.
Neather make knives they just have their name put on them.

Good knife companys are...
Busse
Spyderco
RAT
Scrap Yard Knives
Bark River Knife and Tool
Swamp Rat Knives
Benchmade
Kershaw
Foster
Case
Buck
Ka-bar
Strider(if you can afford them)

I'm sure other members can add some more.

All right, thanks!

Back