• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Building your own PC

Ok, computer guys.

I want to build my own PC.

I went to Tiger Direct, and New Egg, and assembled a list of components that I'll include below.

M452-2632 B :: MSI RD480 Neo2-FI Socket 939 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ OEM / 18x DVD±RW DL / CPU Fan / ATX Mid-Tower Case with a 400 Watt Power Supply (20.85 lbs)
In Stock $359.99 $359.99

THD-1600JB :: Western Digital / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive (1 lbs)
In Stock $62.99 $62.99

D15-1087 :: Diablotek 1.44MB USB External Floppy Drive with 7-in-1 Card Reader (Silver) (1 lbs)

M17-7502 :: Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition OEM Version & Service Pack 2 (0.8 lbs)

Total: $602.95 plus 40.58 shipping for a grand total of $643.53

Now, I can have one built locally with a three YEAR warranty, with a similar case, a MSI K8NGM2NPP board, an Athlon 64 3200+ processor, 1024 DDR 400 memory, 128 video share, WD 160 G HDD, Mitsumi combo 3.5 floppy/card reader, LITE-On DVD/CD burner, NVIDIA 6100 video card, Realtek audio, Intel modem, Realtec NIC, and WIN XP home, for $699.

What gives?

I guess I'm looking for a cheaper source for components. if not, I'll have the guy build the above for me. I already have 2 of his machines, and they have been superb performers.

Any input is appreciated!

All I can say is if you go the build route, use NewEgg, they are the fastest shipping best prices I haver seen/used, warranty is great.

For only 50 bucks more, I'd buy the locally-built computer with the warranty.

I saved $1800 by building my own this year, but I was using higher-end stuff, and much more of it.

-Bob

Sounds like the local build is the way to go.
Having a local resolution to any problems is worth more than the few bucks you'd save.

What's your intended use for the machine?

Myself, I bought a nice big case last summer but have not got any thing to put in it yet, trying to decide what parts to get.
Dual Core for sure.

I've been using a 700Mhz AMD for years now and I feel the need for speed:D

The local guy uses the same components over and over again. He's got all the little quirks worked out. It would take you many hours of frustration. Give him is fifty bucks. It will be the best fifty bucks you'll ever spend.

Sounds like the local build is the way to go.
Having a local resolution to any problems is worth more than the few bucks you'd save.
Absolutely, for a 'first' build you want that support for problems that may arise.

Once you gain some experience building and troubleshooting hardware issues you can strike out on your own.

One piece of advice: don't skimp on a cheapo power supply, spend the extra for quality and you'll save yourself future headaches.

All I can say is if you go the build route, use NewEgg, they are the fastest shipping best prices I haver seen/used, warranty is great.
They are the best online vendor for computer stuff.

Dual Core for sure.
I built with the Duo Core 2 6600 from Intel and am extremely happy with it. What I've found is that by selecting components a step or two below the absolute top of the line, you avoid the premium "cutting edge" prices, and the sacrafice in performance is indistinguishable in most applications.

Code3, Just a couple of comments:
* I prefer Seagate hard drives, and why not use SATA?
* Do you really need XP Pro? You'll save $$ by installing the OEM home version.
* A stand-alone floppy drive is only $6, so don't spend a bunch extra to buy a card reader/floppy combo.
* 400 Watts is enough power for the system you're considering, but if you upgrade in the future by adding real components (graphics, sound, faster memory, additional hard drives, etc.) you may wish for more.
* I usually split my shopping between NewEgg and Tiger Direct, but this time I found that NewEgg had lower prices on every single item.

-Bob

I built my own computer a couple years ago. I was afraid at first that I would short-circuit something and all would be lost but thankfully that didn't happen. Another issue I was worried about was the compatibility of my parts but if you do your research carefully there shouldn't be any problems there also. I like to purchase the majority if not all parts from the same vendor and NewEgg was the vendor I went with. Fast shipping and no hassles. As for my powersupply, I went with a PC Power & Cooling PSU (510 watts). Heck with six (6) internal hard drives (RAID) and a high end video card I wasn't going to skimp there.

I have built my own and when someone mentions something wrt to computers it has meant that I understand what he is going on about. It is a worthwhile lesson that I have repeated for my eldest.

I have built two now. It's really easy. You will be done in two hours.

1. Buy an Antec Sonata 2 with a built in power supply. 450 watts. Good and quiet. All the connectors built in. You WILL NEED a min of 450 watts.

2. Get a good motherboard. EVERYTHING plugs into the motherboard. ASUS socket 939 or DFI lanparty socket 939.

3. OCZ memory start of with a minimum of 1 gig. (in one stick) get two 1 gig sticks if within your budget. DO NOT GET 4 512 STICKS.

4. Buy the best PCI express graphics card you can afford. This will take such a load off your processor it's unbelievable.

5. You will be happy with the AMD 4000+ 64 The price has come down dramatically on this fine processor.

6. Next big decision. XP or Vista. Your call.

7. Don't drop alot of money on a DVD Read/write. Thery're all pretty good.

8. Why in God's name do you want an external floppy drive? The multicard reader can be put in one of your empty 5" slots. YOU DO NOT need a floppy drive anymore. It's 2007 for goodness sake.

9. Get a SATA hard drive of your choice. They plug right in. If your new don't go the RAID route. Too confusing. The sata will be plenty fast.

10. The hardest part of building a computer is loading all the software. By far. Let me repeat that. The hardest part of building a computer is loading the software CORRECTLY.

11. DO NOT PLUG INTO THE INTERNET UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR VIRUS
SCAN/FIREWALL INSTALLED.

12. Sound Card? I would, yet all motherboards nowadays have a fine capable sound card built in.

13. It is fun. It is not that hard. Honest. Open case. Install motherboard, install processor and fan. Install memory sticks, mount harddrive in case, plug into MB, mount DVD in case, plug into MB. Mount PCI and plug in.

14. Load operating system. Have your decision made on your firewall/Virus scan brand. Install. (or just use windows default firewall) and another brand virus scan.

15. Lastly I highly recommend reading the builders forums.

16. Everything plugs in only one way. You will not make a mistake installing hardware. You may and probably will make a few mistakes installing software.

17. Don't drink too much.

8. Why in God's name do you want an external floppy drive? The multicard reader can be put in one of your empty 5" slots. YOU DO NOT need a floppy drive anymore.
Lots of people still use floppies. Since they're only $6, there's no reason to not get a floppy drive if you want to. Personally, I don't trust floppy disks and don't put any data on them that isn't backed up elsewhere. But I do use them regularly for running small alternative operating systems like MenuetOS, Sunrise OS, Triangle OS, etc. that run only from bootable floppies.

The multicard reader can be put in one of your empty 5" slots.
Many (most?) of the multi-card readers on the market install into 3-1/2" slots.

4. Buy the best PCI express graphics card you can afford. This will take such a load off your processor it's unbelievable.
Unless you're going to play games or use graphic-intensive software, there's no reason to spend a lot of money on a graphics card. For office-type work or using the internet, modern onboard graphics work just fine.

-Bob

Your right Bob. 3 1/2 is right. 31/2 looks like 5 to me. I tell my wife that all the time...

Your also right about that graphics card. But...who doesn't want to play a game now and then. If you're not going to do ANYTHING graphics intensive, why not just buy the absolute cheapest prebuilt PC you can buy and run word processors and internet. It makes no sense to build in that case. Other then to learn. Which is OK too.

I second BobW , buy a Seagate hard drive. :thumbup:

Builing your own pc can be fun and a great ego boost , it can also be a ginormous pain in the ass if you've never done it before.
Hopefully it will all go smooth , just be sure to RTFM on the mommyboard.

8. Why in God's name do you want an external floppy drive? The multicard reader can be put in one of your empty 5" slots. YOU DO NOT need a floppy drive anymore. It's 2007 for goodness sake.

9. Get a SATA hard drive of your choice. They plug right in. If your new don't go the RAID route. Too confusing. The sata will be plenty fast.

Have fun installing windows xp on serial ata hard drives without a floppy drive. Skip vista, let them get the bugs worked out first.

who doesn't want to play a game now and then.
Including me. :D My graphic card is a EVGA GeForce 7900GT, the overclocked KO version. That was hot stuff, at least a few months ago it was. I don't see the point in dual graphic cards at this point, but I was sure to buy a motherboard that can be upgraded in that direction at some future time.

why not just buy the absolute cheapest prebuilt PC you can buy and run word processors and internet. It makes no sense to build in that case. Other then to learn. Which is OK too
I agree. But that's really all that many folks need, a very basic machine for simple writing and internet tasks. Price-wise it makes no sense to build a machine like that; there's no way to beat the prices of those bottom-of-the-line advertised specials from Dell and elsewhere. But, in addition to learning, there's on other reason to build your own, even for a basic machine, and that's upgradability. Those sale price off-the-shelf machines will never become high-end gaming machines, no matter how much $$ you're willing to dump into them later.

-Bob

I guess I made a mistake on the floppy.

I priced the internal 3.5/ cardreader combo; I'm not after an external drive at all.

I have a little experience changing out HDD's, floppys, optical drives, and memory. I've also replaces a few processor fans, power supplies, and memory. I've also done the initial software load numerous times.

I like the local guy. I have 2 of his machines, and have had absolutely no isses with them whatsoever. he only uses high quality components. I also just purchased the describes PC from him on Friday, to replace my father in laws machine that had multiple failures. Local guy would have replacd the MOBO and processor, but by the time he got done, it would have cost almost as much as the machine I purchased.

I think I'm going to have the local guy get started building me a machine tomorrow. I'd like to go with a dual core, but I cannot afford the extra $300.00 right now. He will be able to upgrade to it at a later date for not much money, so that is good. The 2 machines I have from him have been upgraded a couple of times each by him, and for less than I can get parts from new Egg or Tiger!

Thanks for the input, gang. Wish I could easily upgrade the Dell I'm on now, so I could save some dough.

Personally, I prefer a Pentium Processor over Athlon. Just personal preference.

I have Windows XP on my work computer and Windows XP Home Edition on my personal computer. I can't tell any difference for what I do with computers. And I'm on my computers all the time - both at work and at home.

I've never built a PC and probably would not want to try.

Good luck! Sounds like an exciting adventure, Code 3.

Judy

xp OEM pro, (sorry Bob, I would spend the xtra for pro) with Service Pack 2 can install sata drives with out a floppy. SP1 could not. I know, I just loaded pro w/sata and no floppy on clean install.

building the PC is as easy as sticking tab A into slot B. the hard part is doing the software loading, or should I say the most time intensive part.

I run a RAID system (raid 0, striped) this means programs are written half to one drive and half to the other (i.e. for the word THE it will write "T 1/2h" on one drive and "1/2 h E" on the other, this is so when it retrives data it can retrieve faster).

I wouldn't recommend trying to load a RAID machine as your first install as there are some tricks to it and will sometimes stump the experts if they haven't loaded a system built on a RAID motherboard.

RAID is also good if you want to make a mirror of your hard drive on a second hard drive by using Raid 1 (mirrored). Raid systems need the minimum of a raid compatable motherboard and two hard drives of like capacity and speed.

Dave

p. s. I built mine because there are a couple games I like to play, but I saved big bucks by doing the build myself. Nowdays it is almost cheaper to buy a customized Dell or other brand that allows you to customize, unless you are building a top of the line gaming machine these machines from major manufactures can save you big bucks.

Back