Burr King grinder vs. Tw-90

So I am looking at falling down the rabbit hole and going full bore to become a productive knife maker. I am currently saving up and plan on within the year buying a 2x72 grinder and I want the best. I live in mid Missouri and Burr king is actually about a 45 minute drive from me. I have looked at their grinders and think they are pretty awesome. I have only seen videos of the tw-90 or KMG. Does anybody have any experience with the burr king vs a tw-90 vs a KMG (or any KMG clones) I am pretty dead set on getting the best i can.

I have both the Bur King and two TW-90's. Both are nice machines, but in my opinion the TW-90 is far far superior. It's tracking is easier, and you can change from flat platen to a round wheel in seconds.

It does the tw-90 have a small wheel attachment. I looked real quick at the website and didnt see one. Might have just missed it tho.

In my opinion the TW-90 is the cream of the crop. Northridge a close second. I've never used a KMG but from all the complaints from people who's opinion I value, I wouldn't even consider one. If money was no object I'd have TW-90s.

Burr King is absolutely top quality, but they are a pain in the ass to change around.
The TW-90 is the best and most versatile grinder on the market!!!

KMG is just no longer in the running.

I'm still a huge fan of the Bader B-III, have two of them that have seen 20 years of full time work. They just aren't as versatile as the TW-90, but the B-III is way more versatile than the Burr-King.

I do have a Burr King 20" grinder that I love though. :cool:

I always thought of BurrKing an industrial machine. Industry sets it up to a configuration and runs that for days on end if not forever.
If different configuration is often needed, another machine is set up at the next workstation.

TW90 is much like home sewingmachine. Its easily reconfigured to different tasks as its user does not want dedicated machines for each configuration.

Last edited:
you are smart to get the best tool right away, instead of buying 2 or 3 like i usually do :D so, the burr seems attractive because you will not have to pay shipping, but it is not as versatile. i have the kmg and tw-90. the kmg is very solid , but also very primitive, from what i hear its easy to get a "lemon", meaning a brand new machine with alignment and tracking issues and the customer service seems to fall short from what i have read. the tw-90 is more like a cadillac, better build quality, tighter tolerances. its a joy to use.

Having built 2 grinders now and the changes I would make if I were to build a third, I don't think I'd ever buy one out right, but if I were to ever buy one it would either be the TW-90 or the Northridge due to the versatility and craftsmanship that go into them.

Thanks for all the input. Now I will throw in a curveball. Since the burr kings are a pain to change over what machine would you prefer if you had a dedicated machine for each configuration?

Thanks for all the input. Now I will throw in a curveball. Since the burr kings are a pain to change over what machine would you prefer if you had a dedicated machine for each configuration?

I would still opt for either TW-90s or the Northridges and just set each one differently.

I bought a KMG due to availability in Canada. Cheaper initial cost, but after making it direct driver, and purchasing a better C plate, I probably should have just paid more and got something newer.

When I get my second grinder, it will be a Northridge. The 1.5" tooling arms are make and break for me. I want the versatility of using different tools between grinders. If I were to buy a TW-90 with 1.25" arms, I wouldn't be able to do that.

If I were to start at zero, TW-90 as it's tried and trued.

I have a KMG that I've modded, prodded, and upgraded. It's a solid machine, but if I were to buy one today it would be a pro package Northridge or a TW-90. I used the Northridge at Blade Show this year, and it is immaculate in it's craftsmanship.

Burr King, 20" wheel. Hollow grinding.

Bader B-III, 10" wheel. Profiling.

Bader B-III for a flat platen / slack belt. Flat grinding and handles.

TW-90 for small wheels.

But why, when the TW-90 will do it all (except 20" wheel) & so quick/easy to change around???

Last edited:
Tw90 for me. I built my grinder and it’s been grate but if I was to buy today it would be the tw90. Have you actualy priced them out yet, if not you might get a little sticker shock. Not saying thy are over priced at all, I’m just saying you get what you pay for and with the tw90 you get ALOT.

I have a Hardcore which is like the Burr King and equally pricey, and I've used a TW-90 several times and visited Travis's shop.
I would say also that you should give consideration to what kind of knifemaker you are going to be.
I think that can have a bearing on your choice. What kind of knives and type of grinding will you do?.
Or do you need all around versatility.

I choose the Hardcore, I also have a Burr King 1272, if I was going to get a third grinder, I would get a TW-90.

L Lieblad described it well

For me it doesn't matter. I don't have room for 8 grinders. I have room for 2. Changeover/setup time will always be important to me.

Thanks for all the info again. And yes I have looked at the prices. Really the burr king and tw-90 are relatively similar in price. The tw-90 is a tad more expensive I think. I am now leaning towards the tw-90 now for sure.

My next grinder will be a TW90 or a North Ridge. Probably the NRT because they are made in Ohio and I think they are slightly cheaper than the TW90 if you get the cadillac version.

For what it's worth I have a KMG and have no complaints nor the issues the guys one here have posted. However I got mine before the FiF craze and I think that is when I started seeing the complaints. Good grinder if you have no issues, but dated compared to the newer stuff.

-Clint

Yeah it’s sad, the KMG (bemount) was positioned perfectly for the huge serge in the market. But thy refused to grow and step up there game. Other places started really pushing the traditional design into what it is now but thy stood still. I personally think it was a very bad Business decision. Thy had the market by the balls and just let go. I don’t even think the KMG is a consideration anymore for knifemakers or at least it shouldn’t be. I will say one good thing about them. I do like there rubber contact wheels. My 8” has seen a TON of use and still going strong. The 3” I got from them crapped out about 3-4 years ago. It wallowed out the bearing seats and was just about unusable. I had to go in and punch the bearing serfaces and press new bearings into it. It’s still working now but it’s retired to being a tracking wheel on my surface grinder.

Back