Burr King grinder vs. Tw-90

Yeah it’s sad, the KMG (bemount) was positioned perfectly for the huge serge in the market. But thy refused to grow and step up there game. Other places started really pushing the traditional design into what it is now but thy stood still. I personally think it was a very bad Business decision. Thy had the market by the balls and just let go. I don’t even think the KMG is a consideration anymore for knifemakers or at least it shouldn’t be. I will say one good thing about them. I do like there rubber contact wheels. My 8” has seen a TON of use and still going strong. The 3” I got from them crapped out about 3-4 years ago. It wallowed out the bearing seats and was just about unusable. I had to go in and punch the bearing serfaces and press new bearings into it. It’s still working now but it’s retired to being a tracking wheel on my surface grinder.

This has always boggled my mind. Used to be KMG was a no brainer, and they seemed to really be keeping up with quality and innovation. Now, years later, they still don't offer a tilting grinder, or direct drive options, despite how simple it would be to modify the design. It definitely filled a spot at the time though.

Yeah it’s sad, the KMG (bemount) was positioned perfectly for the huge serge in the market. But thy refused to grow and step up there game. Other places started really pushing the traditional design into what it is now but thy stood still. I personally think it was a very bad Business decision. Thy had the market by the balls and just let go. I don’t even think the KMG is a consideration anymore for knifemakers or at least it shouldn’t be. I will say one good thing about them. I do like there rubber contact wheels. My 8” has seen a TON of use and still going strong. The 3” I got from them crapped out about 3-4 years ago. It wallowed out the bearing seats and was just about unusable. I had to go in and punch the bearing serfaces and press new bearings into it. It’s still working now but it’s retired to being a tracking wheel on my surface grinder.
———————JT, I was here when Rob started making KMGs, my username was RHINOKNIVES and for some reason they couldn’t bring it up after I took about a 5-7 year VaCa from BFs. Anyway. The wheels and most importantly the rubber work on your wheels is done by CNC.. Contact Rubber Corp. if you ever need them reworked.———————————————-.I owned a KMG and I put enough into to bring it up to snuff that I could have bought a better machine to start. I bought it in 2011 and ended up using it as a dedicated small wheel machine. My Hardcore is still the smoothest & quietest I’ve owned or used and less noise & vibration means not as tiring If you plan on grinding several hours & day’s a week..—————————————— I also have a Wilmont Tag 101 because I wanted the 45 degree tilt and I rarely use that feature...So, currently if I was to buy another Machine it would most likely be the TW-90 ?? Someone suggested you trying them out and seeing what kind of knife work you would be doing .. Flat grinds? Hollow? Etc.. best of luck to you Captain...

If you are only buying one grinder make it a Northridge. Burrking is a super smooth, industrial type machine, but I think most people don't realize it is belt driven. This is going to rob available horsepower. The tw-90 is an excellent machine created by an amazing engineer, but it lacks a second tool pocket.
Of course, this is my opinion on how to spend your money. If it were my money I would roll the dice on a seldom discussed machine called the Outlaw 2. I think its the most versatile machine you'll find. I say this only because I don't care for the tilting stand on the Northridge.
For those who own a tilting North ridge, I would like to know how much height change occurs on the top tool pocket center when flipped?

Have you ever used a horizontal grinder? I mean a hundred years ago many people said things like "I have a horse on my carriage, why would I get rid of it". I used to say "I already have a cell phone, a desktop, and a garmin, why would I want to roll them all into one?"

When I made my first 2x72 I built in the tilt option, I would never do without. The visibility it gives you for certain tasks is so worth it.

In my knives I have no use for horizontal grinder.
Have you ever used a horizontal grinder? I mean a hundred years ago many people said things like "I have a horse on my carriage, why would I get rid of it". I used to say "I already have a cell phone, a desktop, and a garmin, why would I want to roll them all into one?"

I hadn't looked at the Northridge grinders until so many people started bringing them up here. I think I like them the best so far. And according to their site they are working on a surface grinding attachment and other stuff. Might go with them. It's either them or a tw-90. But definitely leaning towards the Northridge

I'll jump in. I have a TW90 and a Burr King. The Burr King is super smooth. I really only use it for 10" hollow grinding and slack belt. It's a variable speed 1.5 HP. It bogs much easier than the 2 HP TW90. The tracking is ok, but not as nice as the TW90. On the TW90, you can often change from platen to wheel without touching the tracking. The tracking on my Burr King does wander a bit. The Burr King is a pain to switch over from one version to the other. It's also very expensive to buy the extra parts. (I think the small wheel attachment is $500). I've ground on several different types of grinders, except the Northridge. My requirements for a grinder are, direct drive, variable speed and ratchet style belt tension. While the Burr King is belt driven, it's not much of an issue because it's front wheel drive style. Some people complain about the 1.25" aluminum arms on the TW90. I have had no issues with them, and now prefer them. My next grinder is going to be a Burr King BBA20. Any grinders after that will be the TW90.

erik markman, Yes, with hidden tangs horizontal grinding doesn't have as much benefit. However, things like using a surface grinding attachment, and finish grinding the main bevels lengthwise is easier to accomplish horizontally. And most of us use our grinders for more than just knives. I helped a friend cope a lot of pipe for welding not too long ago. The 1" small wheel set horizontal made quick and easy work of the project.
Given the choice, most people a hundred years ago would want a horse and a mule in the barn.

Back