Bushcraft Blades: Do they really matter?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by jimh0220, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Today it’s called Bushcraft, a hundred years ago Horace Kephart called it Woodcraft. Same thing, different name, nothing new. I think Woodcraft is more accurate, personally. To try and add some perspective to the knife debate, just look at the knives preferred by the two icons of the outdoors, Kephart and Nessmuk. They could hardly be more different, yet each of these two experienced gentlemen felt it was best for their needs. Conclusion? There is no best, just what works best for you. But the discussion is fun anyway.

tidefan, Pomsbz and bikerector like this.
  2. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Very optimistic, lol. I do believe it could be done (don’t know if I could...) but I’m pretty sure they would never forget their regular knife again!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    the biggest glaring issue here is ... "a guide without a knife or three on him?" ... not someone who would have a job very long ...

Plainsman likes this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That actually is glaring and I can't imagine a guide not having at least one knife on them regardless on a hunt. The guide usually does the field dressing and I guess if the animal is quartered for transport, they would do that too as part of the service.

Plainsman likes this.
  5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Nessmuk was an axe man as I understand it. Kephart carried a slippie (jack knife-two blade) as well as his medium sized fixed blade. I believe Nessmuks design was mostly for skinning animals too rather than a general use knife.

6. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    That is also my understanding, the Nessmuk being optimized for skinning and roughly being a small butcher knife. I think there was talk that he also had a slip-joint for all of the other tasks. I think the Nessmuk trio was the skinning knife, slippie, and an axe. Those too did a lot of work with the folding knives.

7. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I hear you. Nor, could I imagine heading out on a hunt without a couple of knives and a sharpening tool. But, that is how the story was reported.

n2s

8. tidefan

tidefan Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2004
    This is the first knife I bought with my own earned money. 1978, carried it with me everywhere. It has dressed hundreds of rabbits, squirrels, quail, dove, hogs, a couple of rattlesnakes, and at least 20 deer. It made traps, made tinder bundles, and tent stakes. It was used to make a connection on a corroded battery post to get me out of the woods when I fractured my arm. Never ever felt under knifed. Carried it until early 2003. It wasn't my bushcraft knife or my hunting knife, it was my knife. Still have it, still love it.

FB_IMG_1578104875781.jpg FB_IMG_1578104881365.jpg FB_IMG_1578104888603.jpg

9. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    That is pretty much the way things were for me. I also selected and bought my childhood knives with my own money. Mine was a Case Barlow.

buckfynn and tidefan like this.
  10. heresthedeal

heresthedeal

Oct 3, 2010
    Mine was a boker tree brand medium stockman.
    Had no idea I needed anything else.

buckfynn, jmh33 and tidefan like this.