Bushfinger, still the king of the Fiddlebacks

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I have and have had many different custom FB models and I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Bushfinger is the best all around knife in the custom lineup. It does every chore good and some great, whereas other models may really shine on a few things but fail miserably on others. I have friends that always ask me what's the best "ONE" model and I have to tell them that a Bushfinger is King of Fiddleback.

3/32" Bushfinger
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Tekton, hasco, dalefuller and 8 others like this.
  2. Warrior108

Warrior108 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Thanks Bob! This reminded me that these haven't been out in a while and need to stretch their legs a bit. Think I'll go with the Ruby first, then Bog Oak and then Brisket. Each has its own unique feel and balance. The Ruby and Brisket Fangers are 1/8" TT and the Bog Oak is 3/32".

[​IMG]

Bmurray, Choppaman, Scotcha and 3 others like this.
  3. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    That's a great comparison image, Warrior. Does anyone have a picture like this showing a Bushfinger and Ladyfinger?

4. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]

hasco, Bmurray, Choppaman and 4 others like this.
  5. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Indirect, but here you can see an Old School Ladyfinger (top left) next to a Gaucho (top middle) with two Bushfingers beneath (2nd and 3rd knife in the middle column):

[​IMG]
    (These are @Warrior108's knives, lent to me for The Big Borry.)
    ~ P.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Pokerface

Pokerface Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2011
    I've been lurking here for only a couple weeks and don't know as much as I'd like about Fiddleback Forge, as a matter of fact, I know very little...but those Bushfingers are what caught my eye. I'm hoping to add one to my collection of FB's pretty soon.

Bmurray and kmellino like this.
  7. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Brad3G, CPK EDC, Survive 3.5.jpg Pertinux...that's a great collection.

I am looking for a nice ~3 1/4 inch with a thin slicing blade (cuts an apple), perhaps like that 3/32" thick blade, shown in a previous post above... to be carried in a leather cross-draw belt sheath. Presently, I'm carrying a Bradford3G in M390 in crossdraw, and love it, but have had my eye on Fiddleback for a long time...
    thanx for suggestions... Here are several of my favorites..
    Here is my Bradford 3G in M90, Carothers EDC in D2, Survive in CPM-3V
    However, all of these blades range from 0.125"-0.140" and are a bit thick for slicing an apple, especially when compared to my large Sebbie (0.125") with hollow-ground blade.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    dalefuller, Bmurray and Fiddleback like this.
  8. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    That's a sweet Bushfinger Bob. I haven't had the pleasure of handling one yet. As soon as I run across "the one" I'll jump on it. I've been looking for a 3/32" in desert ironwood.

Bmurray and Fiddleback like this.
  9. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, but those are @Warrior108's knives, as now edited into my post above.

(As soon as I posted the picture, I realized the possible misattribution and clicked Edit-- only to be interrupted by in-home needs. Jerry was more than generous to lend me a plethora of piercey pieces to compare.... I remain grateful.)

~ P.

Bmurray likes this.
  10. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Thanks for the clarification, but those are still wonderful fixed blades. Extremely nice, and the wide variety of wood grips are great.

11. LaRueOBR556

LaRueOBR556 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    What is the closest to a bushfinger with a blade length of 3.5" or less?

12. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    im guessing a Handyman or Bushnub

Bmurray likes this.
  13. LaRueOBR556

LaRueOBR556 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.
    On the hunt for a Scandiman now

Bmurray likes this.
  14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    i forgot about the Bushnubs that have been popping up recently

Bmurray likes this.
  15. Tutone

Tutone Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Bushnubs have been my weakness as of late.......a perfect knife!!

Bmurray, Choppaman and Fiddleback like this.
  16. thurin

thurin Wanderer Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Is the Bushfinger "King of the Fiddlebacks" or really "the Dark Lord of the Fiddlebacks"?

[​IMG]

Kalsu, hasco, Bmurray and 3 others like this.
  17. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG I love the Bushfinger as well. It's my favourite larger fiddleback. My Bushfinger and bushnub duo

18. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Maybe Erich will post some of his collection in here. He likes the Bushfinger also. The Bushhermit is a good all arounder as well.

Bmurray likes this.
  19. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Agreed on every point.:)

I am still marveling at the opportunity afforded me, the wealth of (beautiful!) information from which to learn more about the makers and knives, and my own preferences.

... I do want a Bushfinger myself; from my limited experience I agree with @Bmurray's estimation. It just seems to stand on its own so well, in design, feel in hand, etc.

Y'all make it so hard to not WANT ALL THE THINGS. What a stunning couplet, and excellent comparative presentation-- the knives' identical appointments makes it so much easier to discern the patterns relative to one another. Stunners! :thumbsup:

And oh yes, the Bushnub: @Comprehensivist's current thread regarding (heh) guardless knives reminds me of this little gem as well.

I am trying hard to not duplicate or overlap the FFs in my selection o'ermuch, as I'm already nearing the point of Something's Gotta Go and want to make sure my boxes are ticked overall? I posited just yesterday that I'm looking again at the Handyman, but am now am leaning back towards full-on Bushfinger.

Fickle, I. o_O

Jerry's Bushfinger and Gaucho, my Bear Cub looking all nakie and blown-out:
    [​IMG] @Warrior108

Another of Jerry's Bushfingers, my Bear Cub:
    [​IMG]

Jerry's Bushnub II's (the top two knives), my Bear Cub, Jerry's Bushnub:
    [​IMG]
    [I far prefer the Bushnub to the Bushnub II, but like my Bear Cub's handle better than the Bushnub's-- the latter is a little more 'closed', and I like the Bear Cub's openness. But, hand me any one of them in isolation and send me out the door, and I'd have a great knife for anything that came my way from here on out.]

~ P.

Bmurray and Scotcha like this.
  20. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I appreciate all the comparative images. They are really helpful, and it's great seeing all these beautiful knives.

Bmurray likes this.