Bushfinger, still the king of the Fiddlebacks

Bmurray

Gold Member
I have and have had many different custom FB models and I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Bushfinger is the best all around knife in the custom lineup. It does every chore good and some great, whereas other models may really shine on a few things but fail miserably on others. I have friends that always ask me what's the best "ONE" custom model and I have to tell them that a Bushfinger is King of Fiddleback.

3/32" Bushfinger

Last edited:
Thanks Bob! This reminded me that these haven't been out in a while and need to stretch their legs a bit. Think I'll go with the Ruby first, then Bog Oak and then Brisket. Each has its own unique feel and balance. The Ruby and Brisket Fangers are 1/8" TT and the Bog Oak is 3/32".

Bushfingers-vi.jpg

That's a great comparison image, Warrior. Does anyone have a picture like this showing a Bushfinger and Ladyfinger?

I've been lurking here for only a couple weeks and don't know as much as I'd like about Fiddleback Forge, as a matter of fact, I know very little...but those Bushfingers are what caught my eye. I'm hoping to add one to my collection of FB's pretty soon.

Brad3G, CPK EDC, Survive 3.5.jpg Pertinux...that's a great collection.

I am looking for a nice ~3 1/4 inch with a thin slicing blade (cuts an apple), perhaps like that 3/32" thick blade, shown in a previous post above... to be carried in a leather cross-draw belt sheath. Presently, I'm carrying a Bradford3G in M390 in crossdraw, and love it, but have had my eye on Fiddleback for a long time...
thanx for suggestions... Here are several of my favorites..
Here is my Bradford 3G in M90, Carothers EDC in D2, Survive in CPM-3V
However, all of these blades range from 0.125"-0.140" and are a bit thick for slicing an apple, especially when compared to my large Sebbie (0.125") with hollow-ground blade.

Last edited:
That's a sweet Bushfinger Bob. I haven't had the pleasure of handling one yet. As soon as I run across "the one" I'll jump on it. I've been looking for a 3/32" in desert ironwood.

Thanks for the clarification, but those are still wonderful fixed blades. Extremely nice, and the wide variety of wood grips are great.

Maybe Erich will post some of his collection in here. He likes the Bushfinger also. The Bushhermit is a good all arounder as well.

Thanks for the clarification, but those are still wonderful fixed blades. Extremely nice, and the wide variety of wood grips are great.

Agreed on every point.:)

I am still marveling at the opportunity afforded me, the wealth of (beautiful!) information from which to learn more about the makers and knives, and my own preferences.

... I do want a Bushfinger myself; from my limited experience I agree with Bmurray Bmurray 's estimation. It just seems to stand on its own so well, in design, feel in hand, etc.

View attachment 746660 View attachment 746661 I love the Bushfinger as well. It's my favourite larger fiddleback. My Bushfinger and bushnub duo

Y'all make it so hard to not WANT ALL THE THINGS. What a stunning couplet, and excellent comparative presentation-- the knives' identical appointments makes it so much easier to discern the patterns relative to one another. Stunners! :thumbsup:

And oh yes, the Bushnub: @Comprehensivist's current thread regarding (heh) guardless knives reminds me of this little gem as well.

I am trying hard to not duplicate or overlap the FFs in my selection o'ermuch, as I'm already nearing the point of Something's Gotta Go and want to make sure my boxes are ticked overall? I posited just yesterday that I'm looking again at the Handyman, but am now am leaning back towards full-on Bushfinger.

Fickle, I. o_O

Jerry's Bushfinger and Gaucho, my Bear Cub looking all nakie and blown-out:
IMG_0285.jpg~original
Warrior108 Warrior108

Another of Jerry's Bushfingers, my Bear Cub:
IMG_2214.jpg~original

Jerry's Bushnub II's (the top two knives), my Bear Cub, Jerry's Bushnub:
IMG_2196.jpg~original

[I far prefer the Bushnub to the Bushnub II, but like my Bear Cub's handle better than the Bushnub's-- the latter is a little more 'closed', and I like the Bear Cub's openness. But, hand me any one of them in isolation and send me out the door, and I'd have a great knife for anything that came my way from here on out.]

~ P.

I appreciate all the comparative images. They are really helpful, and it's great seeing all these beautiful knives.

Back