Busse for general outdoor uses?

Ranger1

Gold Member
Hello to you all,
Question: Which Busse should I look at for general outdoor, camping uses?

I have done a few searches, but to no avail... There are sooooo many models...!

I see there is to be a Nessmuk style coming. Any idea when?

I want a small knife, easily resharpened without breaking out the edgepro, something I can prepare meals with, cut feathersticks, etc. Something fairly thin. Something along the bushcraft idea.

I have no need for another survival knife, I have an old Mad Dog ATAK that has been a good and faithful servant. I have a Granfors Bruks wildlife hatchet and a Scandinavian forest axe. I am covered except for this.

Some good advice with a few photos would be appreciated. This would be my first Busse, and it will be used hard.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
The Busse you are looking for is the SRKW Howling Rat...1..2..3... I'm a dead man.

The DABA or the JABA would do nicely too.

For general outdoor use, I use and would recommend an ASH1. The skinny ASH would be just as cool. I kinda wish I would have waited just a bit and gotten one of them.

Here's my ASH1. I should add, I'm not a photographer.

011.jpg

Pick your preferred length in the small knife category (all of these are not too hard to find on the Exchange right now at decent prices):
  • GW (Game Warden) - 3" (or the Swamp Rat Rat Warden)
  • AD (Active Duty) - 3.5"
  • MS (Meaner Street) - 4" (or the Scrap Yard SS4)
  • SAR5 - 5" (or the Swamp Rat RatManDu)
The SAR5 is the closest you will currently find to a Nessmuk style. There is a real Nessmuk in the works but nobody knows when it will hit.

I personally subscribe to the two knife solution, therefore would pick one small slicer and a big chopper. Since you like your GB Wildlife Hatchet as your big chopper I would go with either the AD or the MS. Add a Multi-Tool and you are set.

Last edited:

LMT66

Gold Member
Meaner Street would be a good choice for bushcraft.

Pick your preferred length in the small knife category (all of these are not too hard to find on the Exchange right now at decent prices):
The SAR5 is the closest you will currently find to a Nessmuk style. There is a real Nessmuk in the works but nobody knows when it will hit.

I personally subscribe to the two knife solution, therefore would pick one small slicer and a big chopper. Since you like your GB Wildlife Hatchet as your big chopper I would go with either the AD or the MS. Add a Multi-Tool and you are set.

i agree sar5 sounds like your best choice. maybe a BATAC or MRS. anything smaller than a MRS might be a little too small.

I reckon the ASH1 is perfect for an all rounder. Chops, slices, prys - no trouble at all.

IMGP2180a.jpg

STANLEYHOG.jpg

mymindisamob

Platinum Member
According to your description, a Game Warden or Active Duty are what I will suggest. The BussMuk and/or MiniMuk are yet to be seen, and I am waiting for that release more than any other Busse offering. Hopefully it doesn't go the way some other promised releases have. If you go with a thin version of the AD or GW though, you will easily be able to accomplish the tasks you described in the opening post............... and more.

Bill's advice is always good. Based on what you've said, I'd consider waiting for a SAR4 or a Nessmuk ... but that might take some time.

You say: "I want a small knife, easily resharpened without breaking out the edgepro, something I can prepare meals with, cut feathersticks, etc. Something fairly thin. Something along the bushcraft idea."

Right now, today, you can find unusually thin (0.125") Active Duties on Scott Lunde's Busse Company Store site. He calls them "BADs." I might have a few ... and I like them very much for precisely the tasks you name.

So -- head for his site right now and pick one up. You will NOT be disappointed.

http://www.bussecompanystore.com/knives.htm

Then, sit back and wait for the SAR4 and the various Nessmuks.

+1 for the BAD

I wouldn't pry with it because of the very thin tip, but it should handle most other hard use tasks like a champ. Oh, and it slices like nobody's business!

BCS has both blue and coyote handles in stock right now. Get a sheath to go with it as well, they have both leather and kydex :thumbup:

Cultellus...affectionately known as 'cultie' around here. See Guyons post here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578253 for a good pic. It is a 3.5" blade of 1/8th" INFI steel. Its a fantastic EDC, it feels a bit lighter in the hand than the Active Duty to me. I also really like the Active Duty and Meaner Streets.

I'd really like to see a 4" version of the Game Warden, but that is a different post... ;) :D

I love the Meaner's and AD's.

But there is no other as nice as the ABA's for what you describe. Only drawback will be finding one. If you don't need it for chopping the ABA is the best knife Busse (or anyone else) has ever made in this size range..IMHO anyway.

I forgot I had this quick pic of all he ones you would be intrested in, and the ones people have mentioned.
Not a good pic, but you can tell the size diff in the 5.

ABA
Meaner
Cultie
AD
GW
IMG_3386-1.jpg