Busse knives really worth the bux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing ive learned from having so many knives, is that they all pretty much do the same thing with varying degrees of preformance. they all cut things.

I agree it is an issue that seems to stir a lot of emotion.... I have an $80 Timex watch..... It's worked flawlessly for the last 5 years and I expect it will continue for another.... There are many watches that cost $800 out there that look almost the same, but I fail to believe they tell the time 10 times better than mine. Having said that, if there was not a great number of people out there with the money and desire for those watches they wouldn't exist and more power to the people who can afford them. Before I had a wife and family to drain my bank accounts I might have thought about spending that money too. It's all about perspective and what you can afford.

I agree it is an issue that seems to stir a lot of emotion.... I have an $80 Timex watch..... It's worked flawlessly for the last 5 years and I expect it will continue for another.... There are many watches that cost $800 out there that look almost the same, but I fail to believe they tell the time 10 times better than mine. Having said that, if there was not a great number of people out there with the money and desire for those watches they wouldn't exist and more power to the people who can afford them. Before I had a wife and family to drain my bank accounts I might have thought about spending that money too. It's all about perspective and what you can afford.

I've been following this thread since first posted (and dropping smarmy comments occasionally, all in fun). This post pretty well sumarizes my feelings. I've seriously considered the Busse CABS since it was recommended to me a few posts back. Like seeing more cars like yours when you buy one, I started noticing this particular knife on the forums.

For my usage, I cannot justify the price, even of this lowest price Busse knife, about $300. I can buy quite a few knives for less that satisfy my needs, both factory and custom. The only thing that I feel I would be giving up by passing on buying the CABs is the 'cache', the brand name that is popular with many folks here each for their own reasons.

Outside of these forums, people I run into would not recognize the Busse name if they saw it, much less the CABS pattern which many makers have made for years. I fully well understand 'cache' and brand loyalty and have posted pictures in this thread of my own excesses fueled by these two factors to illustrate my understanding (though evidently few here caught it, or took it as intended).

Cheers to those who own or wish to own Busse knives whether because or in spite of their brand name, percieved attributes or price niche in the market. :thumbup:

Absolutely Codger. That's why such things are called luxury items. People will always admire and want them. Only some will be able to obtain them. Many will try to imitate them. But most people can get by in life without them. Things like Busse have to exist or I would have no reason to keep buying lottery tickets.

Absolutely Codger. That's why such things are called luxury items. People will always admire and want them. Only some will be able to obtain them. Many will try to imitate them. But most people can get by in life without them. Things like Busse have to exist or I would have no reason to keep buying lottery tickets.

My six year old Timex cost $40 and I dive, run sledges and jackmammers and shower with it on.... I think it is made of infi and unobtanium You got robbed! :D

2012-09-20082435_zpsf19f335d.jpg

Moose

That's the ticket Mooseman! Except mine is amalga...anala... it's got hands on it! By the way, time to drop a few bucks on a band again.

But he just got that one to smell right! :p
I rock a Timex too. I'm too damn rough on watches to wear anything nice, and the Timexes take a lickin' and you know the rest.

But he just got that one to smell right! :p
I rock a Timex too. I'm too damn rough on watches to wear anything nice, and the Timexes take a lickin' and you know the rest.

Ironic that you mention the smell. As often as abrasion wear on the band or wear on the velcro closure, an unignorable offensive smell is what prompts me most often to replace the band on mine. But the watch itself is..., well... Busse tough! Busse could sell an Infi version but I am not sure where they would drill the trademarked hole. :D

Within what I consider reason, I buy the knives and watches, rifles, pistols, and other tools/toys based not on price, but on the degree to which they trip my trigger.
Sometimes that means spending a fair amount of cash. Sometimes it means finding a bargain.
No matter. I am old, retired, not broke, and like my stuff. Realizing that other's mileage may vary, I try not to be judgmental about their choices and their reasons for making them. :cool:

Within what I consider reason, I buy the knives and watches, rifles, pistols, and other tools/toys based not on price, but on the degree to which they trip my trigger.
Sometimes that means spending a fair amount of cash. Sometimes it means finding a bargain.
No matter. I am old, retired, not broke, and like my stuff. Realizing that other's mileage may vary, I try not to be judgmental about their choices and their reasons for making them. :cool:

Yeah, plus our stuff will all be someone else's stuff some day. Reminds me of a George Carlin routine.

spot on Codger. Heck, I don't even wait to pass things on. For several years now, I have been giving away tents, knives, guns, stoves.......... stuff I no longer need or use. I like to help out young guys that want to be enjoying the outdoors like I have for so many years, yet, due to having young families, or other circumstances, just can't afford quality gear.
I'd much rather see a nice Randall knife, or a Winchester 70 being used, than just gathering dust. I don't need to sell the things, but I love to pass them on to a deserving person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back