Busse ropeskin micarta

I'm fascinated with the pattern on Busse's "ropeskin" micarta. I can't get enough of it. Especially in snake skin color. The linens also look superb. Here are some examples of mine. Let's see yours . Please... IMG_3622.JPGI think I've read and heard they can't make this anymore. Is there a story behind that? Any old timers know more? I know you wanna post some photos too!!:) Thanks

Wow! That is quite the assortment you've got there...Surely you don't need all of them do you? I could help lighten the load. I'm a nice guy like that ;-)

As far as them not being made anymore, yea, that's the story. If I remember right, the original snakeskin micarta was an accident from their micarta supplier and despite at least a couple attempts to reproduce it, it never worked out. Personally, I have trouble understanding why since it does look somewhat possible to recreate, based on my peasant-level knowledge of how micarta is made...

The story I have heard is that they lost the program to carve that pattern.

Awesome collection! I'm a fan of that milling pattern as well. I have always wanted to see what tigerhide would look like with that milling, I think it would look amazing.

I remember it was something with tooling/ programming. Something like that. Wish I could find the thread, or atleast remember where I heard it.

I'm fascinated with the pattern on Busse's "ropeskin" micarta.
MEEEE TOOOO! Thanks A LOT for sharing!!! Oh Boy, those Jacks...jaw-dropping!

I know that INFI, the BUSSE Guarantee, the Busse's themselves are the main attractions for the HOGS...

And that holds true for me also...

BUT... the texturing, patterns, materials, coloring, overall shape, and ergos of the handles is a TREMENDOUS draw for me to BUSSE & Kin...NOBODY is offering ANYTHING LIKE IT-- ANYWHERE!!!

Every time I handle a model that's new to me I am amazed with the "feel" of it. And when I get a chance to use them, it is equally awesome to feel how they perform. BTW, the only handle I've held that really didn't work for me was the BATAC....something about that swell in the center.

The story I have heard is that they lost the program to carve that pattern.

Well, that sucks because the rope was one of the most classic, secure, handsome and utilitarian patterns in the line, IMHO.

BTW, sorry for all the CAPS :oops:, but I have strong feelings on this subject...gives me an idea for a future thread too!

Thanks. I just received the Groove master (thanks) today.while admiring it I thought to myself wouldn't it be nice to see more of this rope cut micarta. Guess the only way to see that is start a thread since Im not gonna be getting any from Ohio anytime soon. Maybe we can chip in and get the shop some new tooling.

I don't imagine tooling to be the issue. There are far too many options out here. I know this being a CNC machinist.

I'm guessing the programming issue is the culprit. However, knowing a bit of g and m code, the language telling a CNC machine what to do, where, and how fast to do it, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to duplicate the pattern again.

Oh well.

I don't imagine tooling to be the issue. There are far too many options out here. I know this being a CNC machinist.

I'm guessing the programming issue is the culprit. However, knowing a bit of g and m code, the language telling a CNC machine what to do, where, and how fast to do it, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to duplicate the pattern again.

Oh well.

Yea, it's a software issue according to RG in the post up the page...

btw Dan, love how your avatar has been cropped to say "CRAPER"...might be even more fitting than "Crazy Person":p;):)

That is an awesome collection of rope handles!

As for both snakeskin & ropecut CNC pattern... as customers it's really difficult to know when "can't" is being intentionally used in place of "won't" or "just don't want to". Same thing with the original basic handle mold that got destroyed. Either way, it doesn't matter much if they are not available, they aren't available. ;)

Speaking of handle patterns: I do appreciate the fact that the fusion handle pattern was tweaked to lower the sharp points of the textures down several thousandths to a smoother rounded hump ever since the NMFSH came out. Then with O2W an entirely new Fusion handle pattern appeared on the WTF & FSH. The original fusions could be a little rough on the hands, but the newer two designs are perfect right out of the box. I also appreciate that over 30 something new machined handle patterns have come out in the past five years, some with designs much more complex than the old diagonal groove rope cut pattern. The pebbled golf ball ASHBM and brick SOB just the first two to come to mind! Oh, and my favorite... the TTKZ pattern, we need more of those!!! How about an INFI HWS with the TTKZ handle!

Yea, it's a software issue according to RG in the post up the page...

btw Dan, love how your avatar has been cropped to say "CRAPER"...might be even more fitting than "Crazy Person":p;):)

I totally asked them to do that. But, crazy person is far more accurate, although, this is my third trip to the porcelain bus today......

That is an awesome collection of rope handles!

As for both snakeskin & ropecut CNC pattern... as customers it's really difficult to know when "can't" is being intentionally used in place of "won't" or "just don't want to". Same thing with the original basic handle mold that got destroyed. Either way, it doesn't matter much if they are not available, they aren't available. ;)

Speaking of handle patterns: I do appreciate the fact that the fusion handle pattern was tweaked to lower the sharp points of the textures down several thousandths to a smoother rounded hump ever since the NMFSH came out. Then with O2W an entirely new Fusion handle pattern appeared on the WTF & FSH. The original fusions could be a little rough on the hands, but the newer two designs are perfect right out of the box. I also appreciate that over 30 something new machined handle patterns have come out in the past five years, some with designs much more complex than the old diagonal groove rope cut pattern. The pebbled golf ball ASHBM and brick SOB just the first two to come to mind! Oh, and my favorite... the TTKZ pattern, we need more of those!!! How about an INFI HWS with the TTKZ handle!
I recently had some pms with another guy on here helping to educate me and I told him there needs to be a code book for translating Busse Speak - Is there a "busse Knives for Dummies" so I could know half of what I'm reading? -- pics would be great too! .... sorry I'll be quit now and get back to googling acronyms o_O

bullpin bullpin - Nice collection! I definitely agree on the snake skin.
The "slant" pattern VZ uses on their 1911 G10 grips is pretty much the same and has some cool results. I also like the designs created by the pattern used on the SAR models.

My thought, as well. I sort of assumed that one could clamp a rope pattern scale inside a CNC machine, put a ball tip on the toolhead, and have it trace out the surface to create the new program.

Or, just hire Nathan Carothers to do it for you. :eek: :D:rolleyes:;)

Rope cut pattern is my favorite, wish I had some!

As for the basic handles, don't they still make some of the res-c handles or were the originals different?

Back