Busse SOS Drop Point Hunter pics....

So I am curious. This does look almost exactly like a MUK without the hump. What would the advantage be to a MUK over this? I would think being more streamlined and lightweight would be better?

I can get a pic of my DPH on top of my MUK tonight. The TPH would be almost exactly the same. The DPH is a tad shorter I believe

I got some stains on my muck the first time I cut hot BBQ. Never had my other satin do it.

I could not get the stains off with washing, hot water and soap, etc. I was just planning on stropping it off. But I cut some piping hot chicken, and it went away, so I did not get to strop.

Just cut something hot and tasty with it.

Or a quick buff on a strop.

BTW, is this to suggest that a muk sheath would fit it?

Well, a Muk sheath would need to be a little wider :p But otherwise yes...

So I am curious. This does look almost exactly like a MUK without the hump. What would the advantage be to a MUK over this? I would think being more streamlined and lightweight would be better?
The hump of the muk adds a couple of advantages, one of which is that the drop-point is more severe and less, er..., "stabby", to aid in making incisions and skinning game without puncturing internal organs/vessels or the pelt itself (thick ulu). +1
A second advantage is that the breadth of the blade (and meager point) allows it to be used as a "paddle" for lifting/shifting parts without accidentally puncturing something. The hump also functions as a finger-rest and gives the blade breadth for chopping/slicing kitchen-work (like a chef's knife) - you can slice through thick materials without your knuckles/fingers getting in the way. Combine this with the up-swept handle that keeps your knuckles from impacting the cutting surface when held by the actual handle :)
Finally, the hump adds mass forward on the knife to offset a heavier handle.

The Muk is a special design butcher knife... and it is probably what you'd make out of a boat-engine propeller if you needed a knife and could work the propeller ;)

Those advantages aside, the straighter, pointier SOS should be lighter and is obviously slimmer. But how is the balance?

Chiral, you make some great points. I will keep all of them in mind and I thank you for the reply. The balance of the Drop Point Hunter I am sure will be more handle heavy. I wonder if it was skeletonized to aid in the balance?

The balance of the DPH with the orange G-10 is midway between
the first two rivets. While the weight is more in the handle,
the blade is notably agile and fast, IMO.

I purchased it sort of on a whim, being impressed with the OP's
original review. I've been looking for that perfect
day hike belt knife to ostensibly replace my usual folder.

It is definitely growing on me.

I have never "lost" a knife,
I just liked the bright orange handle color.

My use would be similar to yours Pete, would bring it when I go hunting for sure. It is pulling me in with its tractorbeam of hot orange and infi, looks like a great user.

Any off chance anyone has one of these and a SAR 5 for a comparison pic?

IMG_20120314_035504.jpg

It's really quite a bit different blade shape from the Muk; looks to have more belly.
Probably the same blank? :confused:

Great pic Dark, the sar5 looks like a great general purpose blade with the less belly and flat edge.

Pete I think they look mighty close to the same, but thats just how my eye see's it. Does not look like you could go wrong with either. One things for sure, if you are looking for a very specific blade for certain tasks, Busse has got ya covered :D

The SAR5s have a much fatter edge like a BOSS Jack, but the MUK and DPH are closer to a BAD edge.

You can always thin a fat edge however much you want though

Back