1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Busse Team Gemini LB vs. SR Ratweiler LE vs. Rodent 7

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Ptman2000, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Ptman2000

Ptman2000 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to knife collecting in general but my research on BF has led me to want to purchase a Busse/Swamp Rat knife. I had put an order in for a RMD but then received the email about the new Ratweiler LE which got me thinking........ I'm looking in the 7" to 9" range to use in the woods for some light woods use and possible SHTF scenario.

There are just too many similar choices out there for me to pick, so I'm looking for some help. Out of the three listed above. Which would you go with? And should I consider a 9+ size blade instead, ie Rodent 9 or Scrapyard 1111?

Thanks!!

2. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob

Oct 16, 2013
    There's lots of great options, but I still think the NMSFNO is the best

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    A 9-inch blade of any kind is a lot to carry around, which is something to consider if you're thinking SHTF scenario. For me (I'm not tall nor very heavy or muscular), a 5 to 7 inch blade between 3- and 5-sixteenths inch thick seems to be a sweet spot for me. Thickness 0.25 to 0.265 for 5 to 6 inch long, 0.187 to 0.25 for 6 to 7 inch long. Probably doesn't help much, but maybe gives you something to consider.

4. Blade Runner 7

Blade Runner 7 Affordable Anodizing Services

Oct 26, 2010
    If you decide on the ratweiler, consider waiting for the Combat Grade. SR101 rusts if you just look at it funny. I absolutely love the steel but I will only get it coated.

5. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    That was another question that I had as well. I love the look of satin but heard it would rust if not cared for correctly. Thx!

6. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    I would definitely go with the Team Gemini LB out of those three, INFI is second to none for applications where durability is required..... ;)

Also, it is a great design to boot and one heck of a cool knife..... ;) :)

7. kjd2121

kjd2121

Jun 17, 2008
    As far as rust - I think it really depends where you live. In Arizona my stripped RMD has zero rust and I haven't put anything on the blade for 3 weeks - I will once I find some mineral oil. I have washed it, dried it and let it sit out for a few hours before sheathing. Our humidity here is very low year round so......

I picked up an older Busse Steel Heart ergo on the exchange and so far it feels perfect for me - 7.5" blade - 13.5" overall. I wouldn't want to carry anything larger for a period of time. The used market is awesome.

8. knife chop

knife chop

Feb 11, 2014
    I was hoping that swamprat would offer the ratweiler LE in a coated version so the price would go down a little.

9. Don't drop it.

Don't drop it. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I like the gemini,One day they might release the Team Gemini Mini,it has a 5.5 inch blade.I will get one of those.My next choice would be the ratweiler LE.

10. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I'd go with the R6 before the R7(Funky Handle shape) Or Ratweiler LE(Too thin). Act quick and get an 711, awesome knife.

11. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Someone has to say it CHOPWEILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Lots of great choices. Good luck with your search.

13. UCPOPO

UCPOPO

Dec 2, 2010
    I agree with this. I love my TGLB but the Rodent 6 is also a great knife if funds are tight.

14. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    If it were me...
    If this is going to be the only knife you have, nothing else to chop trees, limbs, food, and anything else you're likely to run into, your funds are limited, I'd go SRKW R-9 or SYKCO 1111.

If you have something else to chop with and a smaller knife for skinning/butchering fine work, then I'd go SRKW R7, TGLB (if you have the money) or a SYKCO 711.

15. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    Thx for all the good advice!!! How does the Rodent 6/9 compare with the SYKCO 711/1111? I think I'm going to get the TGLB but also thinking of getting another blade as well.

16. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006

You are assuming that there will be a CG? What, in "two weeks"?

17. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    No, not again!!!! The dreaded 2 weeks!!!:barf:

18. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Here's an M9 and 711 with RMD for comparison. Sorry, no R-series or 1111.

[​IMG]

19. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It will be 'two weeks', but there was a whole bunch of orders placed for CG version during the website 'glitch' and we were promised that the orders will be valid when the knifes were made. So yes, there will be CG version of Ratweiler coming.

20. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    That's good news, IMO. Hopefully they will continue with a CG version of the Ratweiler.