Busses and Whisky

What irony, had a customer come in a little while ago and I noticed his accent right off. So we did our business and then I said, "I'm going to call your accent" he said "oh yeah? go ahead" I said not only country but I think city "He goes oh, that obvious?" I said Edinburgh" He smiled with a big grin "Yes, that's where I'm from how did you know? most people guess Irish" I said Irish? You sound nothing like an Irish~ but no, I have a friend from Edinburgh and the accent is quite distinct. I told him I'm also a budding Scotch student pilot and then we were off to a wonderful conversation about something interesting for a change~ yeah, I got the sale - duh! :D

I've never had a Lagavulin Distillers Edition that I liked as much as the regular 16YO, so it wouldn't be worth it to me. That said, the 1998 is probably the best of the Distillers Editions that I've tried. It's finished in PX Sherry casks, which add some sweetness, and maybe a little milder than the regular 16YO.

The 2015 and 2016 are both better in my opinion. And I buy a new bottle every year. I have been buying a new one every year since 2011. But the standard 16 is wonderful. Here is a neat trick. If you can get the 12 year, mix it 50/50 with either the 16 or the DE. It improves either and waters down the 12 a bit for a better experience.

The 2015 and 2016 are both better in my opinion. And I buy a new bottle every year. I have been buying a new one every year since 2011. But the standard 16 is wonderful. Here is a neat trick. If you can get the 12 year, mix it 50/50 with either the 16 or the DE. It improves either and waters down the 12 a bit for a better experience.
I think you just discovered blended whisky :D:p

Oh boy, I've found Nirvana in a fine retail establishment with 40 foot long shelves stacked with the "Water of Life" and that's only the public section. Upon approval to explore the "premium" section you can blow your wad to your hearts desire, Dalmore 25 anyone for example??? but, it gets better. The prices appeared to be quite reasonable. So I picked up that long sought Abelour A'bundh, on sale for $59 so having expected to spend more on it I decided to complete the standard Ardbeg offerings with the Uigeadail, also on sale, $53 I think? I noticed the Lagavulin16 was the same I had paid elsewhere at $89. Got some unboxing to do....if only I had some fresh Custom Shop bacon Hmmmmm..... :D
Edit: It was a great Scotch day - I got some pop up from FB how to mail-order Glenlivet13! Kind of reminds me of how I got into Busse, start off with BattleGrade and next thing ya know it's Crabshack Custom Shops LOLO!!!

Oh boy, I've found Nirvana in a fine retail establishment with 40 foot long shelves stacked with the "Water of Life" and that's only the public section. Upon approval to explore the "premium" section you can blow your wad to your hearts desire, Dalmore 25 anyone for example??? but, it gets better. The prices appeared to be quite reasonable. So I picked up that long sought Abelour A'bundh, on sale for $59 so having expected to spend more on it I decided to complete the standard Ardbeg offerings with the Uigeadail, also on sale, $53 I think? I noticed the Lagavulin16 was the same I had paid elsewhere at $89. Got some unboxing to do....if only I had some fresh Custom Shop bacon Hmmmmm..... :D

The only place that I have seen prices like that was from KL Wines. Uigeadail at 53 bucks is a steal. So is A'bunadh at 59 bucks. Great find.

The only place that I have seen prices like that was from KL Wines. Uigeadail at 53 bucks is a steal. So is A'bunadh at 59 bucks. Great find.
Well that hole in the wall where I ordered it earlier i nthe week *and still didn't come in* I could have swore she said hundred something, maybe 120? I thought, oh well, maybe that's what it is since I wasn't finding it- But I went to this place on a whim as it was next to a Woodcraft store I just came out of- I thought the wth, when I walked down the Scotch isle I was like #$%^ me! I could have collected all the main offerings from Islay alone in seconds- They had all 7 distilleries right in my face! I think we'll be friends for a while :D

Well that hole in the wall where I ordered it earlier i nthe week *and still didn't come in* I could have swore she said hundred something, maybe 120? I thought, oh well, maybe that's what it is since I wasn't finding it- But I went to this place on a whim as it was next to a Woodcraft store I just came out of- I thought the wth, when I walked down the Scotch isle I was like #$%^ me! I could have collected all the main offerings from Islay alone in seconds- They had all 7 distilleries right in my face! I think we'll be friends for a while :D

When you least expect it. My local store has a huge selection, but prices are much higher. But they do get lots of hard to find stuff.

Batch 62@59.9 ~ I'm hearing the Doors~ "Come on baby light my fire....." Man, look at the legs on that glass :eek: .... Garth, if you see this, hit me up bro, I got some medicine to whip all that ails a body LOL! .... OK, initial thoughts, nose is lovely! Lots of stuff going on. After a sip which is basically letting one of Daenerys' dragons flame down your throat, .... man, I'm digging this right off the bat. I'm getting the sweetness in the finish. Don't think I'l leave this one on the deck overnight in case some unnamed local knife maker should get inebriated and lost in the woods trying to find his way home~ I know this one would be gone :D:thumbsup:

btw, I visited my friend Corryvrecken last night and here's where I am - It's like eating a sandwich made with a slab of fresh leather between two asphalt shingles - Can't do it without ice` I'm just not ready for that one. Maybe I should leave it on the deck overnight? HAHA!

A'bunadh.jpg

Last edited:
It is so drinkable even at that high an abv. I have not had a batch I did not like, just some better than others but that is normal for any scotch or whisky. The only sherried cask strength that I just can't get myself to like is Benriach. Not nice for me.

Gotta be honest, I like this, I really really like this. The sweetness in the finish is so different than anything I've had. Yeah even at this ABV it's really good~ next glass I'll add a couple drops but yeah man, this was a wonderful pick- super super yumm! and what's really nice is, I don't miss the smoke, in fact it's wonderful to travel a different path. This is good stuff and I'll rank it right now as one of my favorites to date for sure.

Gotta be honest, I like this, I really really like this. The sweetness in the finish is so different than anything I've had. Yeah even at this ABV it's really good~ next glass I'll add a couple drops but yeah man, this was a wonderful pick- super super yumm! and what's really nice is, I don't miss the smoke, in fact it's wonderful to travel a different path. This is good stuff and I'll rank it right now as one of my favorites to date for sure.

A'bunadh, to me is very similar to the old Macallan cask strength I use to get 20 years ago. The other one you will like is Tamdhu cask strength. Excellent stuff.

Just spent a few minutes helping Jerry get rid of a bottle of Hell Cat Maggie. Not bad at all for Irish. Chased it with a bit of tequila just to finish the meeting off but hey, I am working on acquiring a taste for this stuff.

Garth

What's a good whiskey for sipping on a mountain peak, fellas? I intend to climb at least one this weekend. Whiskey novice here, but I feel I can do better than Apple Crown Royal.

What's a good whiskey for sipping on a mountain peak, fellas? I intend to climb at least one this weekend. Whiskey novice here, but I feel I can do better than Apple Crown Royal.

Teeling or Nikka Coffee malt. Perfectly smooth and nice on top of a mountain

Well since it's half price, it's really only like you bought 4.5 bottles of it. So perfectly acceptable to buy another 9 or so.

I told my wife about this closeout and her first words were “Buy them all.” Gotta love her. :)

We recently went through this with one of her favorites for mixing, Compass Box Orangerie, when the last few bottles in Oregon priced at $5 each! Only managed to snag a few of those before they were gone.

Back