1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Busses and Whisky

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Currawong, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I tried the 30 neat a few time at Club Macanudo back when I lived in NYC, and each time I found it too smooth for a Laphroaig, especially when drinking it with a cigar or three. I guess I just prefer a peatier, harsher taste in my Islays...probably why I like the Corry neat so much :)

Currawong likes this.
  2. 360joules

360joules Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
    My wife makes me warn her when I drink Corryvreckan. Once when we were out to dinner, she said she couldn't even taste her wine because it was overpowered by how pungent the ardbeg was. lol

Cobalt likes this.
  3. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    So I have to ask, you didn't mention the Octomore. It's not something I'd spend the money on unless I was able to try it and did a backflip then maybe I might drop the coin on it~ I've heard the only thing close it Peat Monster but then again, I'm not into that deep yet. I am intrigued to collect the Isla's from each distillery just for fun but limited to say the Port Charlotte.
    What say ye'all on a recc from Bowmore?

4. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Best Bowmore ever. I posted this a few pages back. You must have missed it.

[​IMG]

sixplymaple and Leonardo63 like this.
  5. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    In the grand scheme of things peat monster isn't much, it's just ok. There are more than a dozen better peated scotches. Octomore is in a league of it's own. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, port charlotte are all typically 40-45 ppm of peat. Octomore starts around 160 ppm if that gives you any indication.

6. drift draft

drift draft Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 12, 2007
    Going back out to look for some now. Sure I’d love it. I heart monday drinking. I bet there’s some left.

7. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Glad you are all having fun with your whiskey but for me it is way more fun to play with knives while drinking a good tequila.

Garth

MadMarkie and Currawong like this.
  8. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Nothing wrong with spreading your wings a little G~ I'm in total agreement with ya, Tequila is my thing too but I've found my bottles lasting a little longer adding some variety :D And that glass of Ardbeg Ten I just finished off sure was yumm! tasted like the smoke my neighbor was just making burning some sht :p

MadMarkie likes this.
  9. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    You haven't reached that level of enlightenment yet.:D

10. sixplymaple

sixplymaple Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2018
  11. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Whisky colored blades, nice combo with mac 15 :thumbsup:

sixplymaple likes this.
  12. MadMarkie

MadMarkie Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I don't know.... some of these Agave spirits are really complex and wonderful! This one has mesquite smoke (almost like a Mexican Laphroiag) over juicy agave with subtle mineral/earth hints... spectacular!
    [​IMG]

sixplymaple likes this.
  13. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    True. I, somehow, don't think he meant quality tequila, lol.

MadMarkie likes this.
  14. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Cool color combo!

Attached Files:

sixplymaple likes this.
  15. Atom242

Atom242

Jun 18, 2013

I have a 2002, 2005, and 2009 George T Stagg. It is/was some good stuff.

Cobalt likes this.
  16. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    No doubt. A buddy of mine has a bottle so I have tried it. Good stuff.

17. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Cracked open a new Speyside, Glenlivet 15 french oak. I have to say, on the nose there's some interesting stuff that really stands out to m! I have to say for the first time I smell sweetness, fruit or sugary something, no idea what. It's quite lively! I thought the color was interesting but after further study I find caramel coloring added :( ` that's just sad~ there's no need for that man..... and bottled at 40% is kind of a drag too` I was getting used to the high horsepower of those Ardbegs ;) For a snatch out of the blue for no particular reason, I like :D

Cobalt likes this.
  18. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Leonardo you are really getting into whisky :thumbsup:. It must be eating into your INFI budget :eek::D:D

Cobalt and Leonardo63 like this.
  19. MadMarkie

Oct 8, 2013
    That e150 caramel coloring can result in some funny flavors.... the GoT Lagavulin 9 has hints of wet cardboard on my palate, and is noticeably darker than the 8 year in a side-by-side. It can also result in fruity or diacetyl (butterscotch) so not always bad, but the Lagavulin 8 wins for me, and is cheaper too!

Once you start to figure out your tastes, there are numerous reviews that can keep you on track, and are well worth a little research. But then again, your "snatch out of the blue" seems to have worked well too! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Cobalt and Leonardo63 like this.
  20. MadMarkie

Oct 8, 2013
    My new favorite smoky peaty thang.... thanks to Cobalt for the recommendation! It ended up being a fun hunt, and naturally pairs with my favorite ASHy thang....

[​IMG]

I'm going to have "peat smoke flash-backs" tomorrow.... this stuff is spectacular! Longest finish ever, with nonlinear complexity, on the longest day of the year :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Cobalt and Currawong like this.