Button-Actuated Compression Lock

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
I've been thinking that Spyderco should do one as a flipper.

I've been looking forward to the Sliverax since it was announced; a Spyderco-made compression lock flipper is really appealing to me. Since it's been in the wild, one of the complaints about the Sliverax -- one of its shortcomings -- seems to be manipulating the compression lock. When you actuate the lock with your finger in the "natural" position, your finger blocks the blade from closing properly. You have to push the lock bar further towards the rear of the knife which, aside from being a bit "unnatural," also requires a bit more force to actuate.

A button-actuated compression lock solves both of these issues. It "forces" the finger into the optimal position and provides more leverage for the push.

I own two button-actuated compression lock knives. The first is the old Solo SO-05 that was sold by Spyderco. This implementation of the design is, imho, pretty flawed. The second is the Smock Knives SK-23 (a flipper, by the way). The way Kevin Smock did the button-actuated compression lock is really both simple and effective. I would love to see Spyderco do one like this.

I don't have my knife with me at the moment for pics but you can see the lock design at 2:02 in this video.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I like that button compression lock much better than the "normal" compression lock. Yeah, blasphemy I know, but never could warm up to pinching my knife.

I don't have any issues with the flipper tab hitting my finger when working the lock on the Sliverax. I pinch the lock in the same spot I do for my other compression locks and swing the blade closed. I do have skinny fingers though.

That said, I think it would be cool if Spyderco did a collaboration with Kevin Smock and incorporated the button compression lock the way he does.

I'd love to see it!

I can't imagine that it would be too difficult (as a design exercise) to take a left-hand PM2 (for instance), mill the liners & scales a bit differently, add the plunge button, and - voila - button actuated compression lock! You're still pinching the mechanism, but it requires less hand movement to close. No need to collaborate with anyone; the compression lock is Spyderco's design.

Could be fantastic...

I can't imagine that it would be too difficult (as a design exercise) to take a left-hand PM2 (for instance), mill the liners & scales a bit differently, add the plunge button, and - voila - button actuated compression lock!
Exactly. The way Smock did it couldn't be easier. It's an extra hole in the knife plus a button that attaches directly to the liner with one screw.

What about an auto compression lock? The action/lock on the Autonomy isn't all that different, there is a coil spring to open it and then a lock that uses a retractable liner to secure it. A compression lock is (almost) and upside down liner lock in a sense.

I also have the Smock and think it is the best implementation of the compression lock by a long shot. I’d love to see in in Spyderco‘s lineup.

If it gets rid of the dreaded pinch that always gets me, I'd be all over it.

I think the button is a great addition to the compression lock - would love to see it in a production blade. Doesn't seem to be too popular of an idea based on the response?:rolleyes:

No it doesn't. :p

The compression lock is so good already I wonder if people don't realize it could be better. One other advantage of making it button actuated is that it is flawlessly ambidextrous.

I was just looking at a lefty PM2 in a store today and thinking with a left side scale from a righty PM2 and a thumbstud off a cheap beater knife, one would be but a couple holes away from making it a reality.

I’ve got an SK23 as well. It’s great. The design of the knife overall and the implementation of the compression lock. I want to see Spyderco make it, and I’d love to see them give it the same treatment as the Mantra. 2 models, one with a functional hole and one without!

I love the compression lock. A button would be fine too. I wonder if there is a issue though. Maybe it would be too easily confused with an automatic knife, and draw unwanted scrutiny and attention.

Looks really easy to disengage
especially when you don't want it to..

If you treat the standard compression lock like a liner lock using your thumb when you close it things are much easier even left handed. I never did like using a pinch grip to close it because using the thumb means you don’t have to reposition your hand to reach and pinch the compression tab. I'm sure everyone does it like this already but maybe not.

Well, it looks like Spyderco, at least, liked my idea. :D

SHOT-Show-2018-Knives-620x400.png

Back