• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buyer Beware!! My experience with Ed Mehler of McKinney, Texas

Buyer Beware!!! My experience with Mr. Ed Mehler of McKinney, Texas:

I went to a gun show in Port Arthur, Texas on September 6 and saw a person, soon identified as Ed Mehler, behind a table full of "hand made" knives. I browsed and asked him if he was the artist that handmade them. Ed confidently replied yes he was and went on to explain how all the knives on the table were made by him, hand forged, 540/550 high carbon steel pressure rolled together, heated to 2400 degrees and folded onto itself 512 times, then honed to a razor edge. He said it took him 13 days to complete the Japanese short sword Damascus blade that I was particularly drawn to. Ed gave me his card "Artistry in Steel" stating he was a former jewelry maker turned knife maker. His card misspelled Damascus (Domascus) and lists the following contact information: Artistry in Steel, Knives by Ed Mehler 214-551-2761 909 N. Graves St., McKinney, Texas 75069 email: artistry_In_Gold@yahoo.com

When I got home I was admiring the supposed handcrafted knife and heavy scabbard I just bought for $300.00 plus tax: "Wholesale" price down from his normal retail price of $1,000. I noticed the knife and scabbard didn't have a stamp by Ed Mehler. Doing some internet research I found it to be a stamp from a company out of New Caney, Texas called Knives Ranch. One of the owners I later corresponded with is Khawar (Havr) Naeem, Knives Ranch 20842 US Hwy 59, Suite F, New Caney, TX 77357 Ph/Fax: 832 793 5033. I called Ed Mehler on Tuesday evening Sept 9 after having conducted my internet research. Ed was so very gracious in our lengthy conversation and explained he does knife making for several companies, one of which is Knives Ranch but that I should have no concerns, he (Ed) was indeed the maker of the knife. He just had some overstock of knives and decided to sell his work, stamped with Knives Ranch, at the gun show in Port Arthur I happened to attend.

Something didn't sit well in all that conversation and one thing leads to another and I dig around on the internet and come up with Knives Ranch contact information and began my correspondence with Mr. Naeem. https://www.knivesranch.com/ On the company website it clearly shows the process of how the knives are made with Damascus steel by artisans from Pakistan. The particular knife I bought from Ed as a handcrafted piece he reportedly made was on sale by Knives Ranch for $170.00 plus tax. I called Mr. Naeem on Sept. 10 and we spoke by telephone several times afterward, and Mr. Naeem (quite helpful and forthright) told me Ed Mehler is a knife seller for Knives Ranch and that he had previously been told to stop representing himself as the maker of Knives Ranch knives he was selling (at least those with the Knives Ranch logo stamp on them). Mr. Naeem asked me not to proceed with any legal action if I could allow them some time to connect with Ed. I allowed them time and had to call Mr. Naeem back the next day, during which Mr. Naeem assured me they spoke with Ed Mehler and that Ed would be not only giving me a call to arrange refunding all my money, but would do so post-haste.

I waited for a call from Mr. Mehler that did not come. I had to call him and thankfully he did answer his phone each time I called. Only once during the month long ordeal to get all my money back did Ed ever call me: (I bought the knife Saturday, Sept 6 and first sent an email to him that night. We spoke by phone the following Tuesday evening. It is now Saturday, October 11 and I just received the final payment - concluding reimbursement of all I had paid).

Bottom line for me in my experience:
Ed Mehler repeatedly assured me he was the maker of the knife, going so far as to present me with two different business cards attesting to the veracity of his assurances at the gun show on Sept 6 before I searched the internet and then during our lengthy phone conversation Tuesday evening Sept 9 after I had discovered Knives Ranch selling a knife I had bought from Mr. Mehler.
Mr. Naeem of Knives Ranch was forthright and helpful, however did not offer to settle the account - leaving it to me to work things out with Ed Mehler - an authorized dealer of Knives Ranch products.
I finally got my money. I promised myself I would write my story after all things were concluded and here it is.
Does Mr. Mehler's actions rise to the level of Texas Penal Code Section 32.42 (b) (12) Fraud - Deceptive Business Practices as a Class A Misdemeanor?

thumb_1408471451.jpg

I went to a gun show in Port Arthur, Texas on September 6 and saw a person, soon identified as Ed Mehler, behind a table full of "hand made" knives. I browsed and asked him if he was the artist that handmade them. Ed confidently replied yes he was and went on to explain how all the knives on the table were made by him, hand forged, 540/550 high carbon steel pressure rolled together, heated to 2400 degrees and folded onto itself 512 times, then honed to a razor edge. He said it took him 13 days to complete the Japanese short sword Damascus blade that I was particularly drawn to. Ed gave me his card "Artistry in Steel" stating he was a former jewelry maker turned knife maker. His card misspelled Damascus (Domascus) and lists the following contact information: Artistry in Steel, Knives by Ed Mehler 214-551-2761 909 N. Graves St., McKinney, Texas 75069 email: artistry_In_Gold@yahoo.com

When I got home I was admiring the supposed handcrafted knife and heavy scabbard I just bought for $300.00 plus tax: "Wholesale" price down from his normal retail price of $1,000. I noticed the knife and scabbard didn't have a stamp by Ed Mehler. Doing some internet research I found it to be a stamp from a company out of New Caney, Texas called Knives Ranch. One of the owners I later corresponded with is Khawar (Havr) Naeem, Knives Ranch 20842 US Hwy 59, Suite F, New Caney, TX 77357 Ph/Fax: 832 793 5033. I called Ed Mehler on Tuesday evening Sept 9 after having conducted my internet research. Ed was so very gracious in our lengthy conversation and explained he does knife making for several companies, one of which is Knives Ranch but that I should have no concerns, he (Ed) was indeed the maker of the knife. He just had some overstock of knives and decided to sell his work, stamped with Knives Ranch, at the gun show in Port Arthur I happened to attend.

Something didn't sit well in all that conversation and one thing leads to another and I dig around on the internet and come up with Knives Ranch contact information and began my correspondence with Mr. Naeem. https://www.knivesranch.com/ On the company website it clearly shows the process of how the knives are made with Damascus steel by artisans from Pakistan. The particular knife I bought from Ed as a handcrafted piece he reportedly made was on sale by Knives Ranch for $170.00 plus tax. I called Mr. Naeem on Sept. 10 and we spoke by telephone several times afterward, and Mr. Naeem (quite helpful and forthright) told me Ed Mehler is a knife seller for Knives Ranch and that he had previously been told to stop representing himself as the maker of Knives Ranch knives he was selling (at least those with the Knives Ranch logo stamp on them). Mr. Naeem asked me not to proceed with any legal action if I could allow them some time to connect with Ed. I allowed them time and had to call Mr. Naeem back the next day, during which Mr. Naeem assured me they spoke with Ed Mehler and that Ed would be not only giving me a call to arrange refunding all my money, but would do so post-haste.

I waited for a call from Mr. Mehler that did not come. I had to call him and thankfully he did answer his phone each time I called. Only once during the month long ordeal to get all my money back did Ed ever call me: (I bought the knife Saturday, Sept 6 and first sent an email to him that night. We spoke by phone the following Tuesday evening. It is now Saturday, October 11 and I just received the final payment - concluding reimbursement of all I had paid).

Ed Mehler repeatedly assured me he was the maker of the knife, going so far as to present me with two different business cards attesting to the veracity of his assurances at the gun show on Sept 6 before I searched the internet and then during our lengthy phone conversation Tuesday evening Sept 9 after I had discovered Knives Ranch selling a knife I had bought from Mr. Mehler.
Mr. Naeem of Knives Ranch was forthright and helpful, however did not offer to settle the account - leaving it to me to work things out with Ed Mehler - an authorized dealer of Knives Ranch products.
I finally got my money. I promised myself I would write my story after all things were concluded and here it is.
Does Mr. Mehler's actions rise to the level of Texas Penal Code Section 32.42 (b) (12) Fraud - Deceptive Business Practices as a Class A Misdemeanor?

thumb_1408471451.jpg

Good story and nice job of busting his ass.
Some people will say anything to make a sale but it sounds like this guys whole life is a lie.
Thankfully you were sharp enough to pick up on his scam and got your money back.

And here is someone pushing Ed's line for him. Sound familiar?

Comment by Clint Thompson on February 12, 2013 at 16:27
As promised the picture here is the knife which looks very much like the Yuna's Assassin but in a fixed blade. It was made by Ed Mehler who owns Artistry In Steel. Ed is an experienced jewelry maker and dealer. He decided to branch over into making knives. He makes folders as well. Each knife is a one of a kind. Don't look for a web site as he does not have one. There are a few more knife makers called Artistry In Steel so don't get confused. Ed lives in McKinney, TX.
The steel is 540/550 high carbon steel heated and pressure rolled together. The steel is heated to 2,400 degrees and folded in half. The folding process is repeated till there are 512 layers.
Contact is:
Ed Mehler, 909 N Graves St., McKinney, TX 75069 214-551-2761.
This fix bladed knife costs $450.00 Cheap for the quality bought.

thumb_1408471451.jpg

Thanks for sharing, if anyone searches, this thread will pop-up and hopefully save potential future victims the hassle you went through.....

Your transaction with Ed fit's the very definition of 'fraud' but I doubt the authorities would be of much help....sadly.

First off let me say Thank You, Zoie for posting this message. I just got back from a gun show in Orange, TX earlier today where Mr. Ed Mehler sold me a couple of knifes. When I got back to my hotel I began to look up "Ed Mehler" and "Artistry In Steel" on the internet and came accross this thread started by Zoie.

Ed Mehler assured me the knifes I bought were made by him using damascus steel that he made in his shop. I was curious about the steel so I asked him how he makes it and what processes he uses. What he told me was that he has a steel shop where he uses 540/550 high carbon steel, heats it to over 2400 degrees and using pressure rollers folds it over and over to get the pattern he wants. He also said that there were Pakistan knock-offs out there that were copying his design.

After reading this thread and looking closer at the knifes I bought from Ed, I found the same knifes on the knivesranch.com website. Even the maker's mark was the same. The prices he charged me was higher then what's listed on the knivesranch website.

I like the knives but I was definitely misled by Ed Mehler. If he did not in fact make these knives then YES what he is doing is Fraud. I should have researched it before I make the purchase. Buyer Beware indeed!!

Yes, good idea - most show promoters are not going to be too keen on letting frauds like this guy post a booth at their show.

Add me to the list of buyers who fell for his story. I bough two knives today from Dallas Gun Show. Both appear to be KnivesRanch.com knives. I had my nine year old daughter with me who wanted to buy a hunting knife. He explained to her how he made these custom one of a kind knives and then went ahead and took her Christmas money given to her by her grandparents to pay for the one that she liked best. It's not the money that I'm furious about, but the fact that he'd lie to a kid and take their Christmas gift money in a fraudulent transaction. Let me state that I've not confirmed 100% that these were KnivesRanch knives, but from what I can tell from their website and the story above I've very little doubt. He is now going so far as stamping his initials into the blade one of them to show us that it was his custom knife that he made. Will wait and see on the response form Ed and Knives Ranch to confirm the facts. Will post an update once I hear from them.

I just ran into this character, Ed Mehler, at a Gun & Knife Show in Sulphur Springs, Tx. It was immediately obvious that his goods were cheap "Made in Pakistan" junk but I let him give his line of "custom made" BS just to hear it myself. After listening to his "knife maker expertise" I mentioned that I was a knife maker myself. That ended our conversation. Don't be taken in by this guy. He's no knife maker.

I ""LOVE" these stories that
GIVE ME the Warm FUZZZZZZIES...

GREAT JOB..
Great JOB.....

By doing what you did and following thru..
You showed a SCUM ..He may take some...some of the time..
BUT there is always one smarter..FROM TIME TOO TIME...

Thank you for looking out for us in OUR
BladeForum Family we have here..

Keith

Some of the people . . . . .

Comment by Clint Thompson on February 12, 2013 at 16:27
As promised the picture here is the knife which looks very much like the Yuna's Assassin but in a fixed blade. It was made by Ed Mehler who owns Artistry In Steel. Ed is an experienced jewelry maker and dealer. He decided to branch over into making knives. He makes folders as well. Each knife is a one of a kind. Don't look for a web site as he does not have one. There are a few more knife makers called Artistry In Steel so don't get confused. Ed lives in McKinney, TX.
The steel is 540/550 high carbon steel heated and pressure rolled together. The steel is heated to 2,400 degrees and folded in half. The folding process is repeated till there are 512 layers.

Contact is:
Ed Mehler, 909 N Graves St., McKinney, TX 75069

This fix bladed knife costs $450.00 Cheap for the quality bought.

Should bring it to the attention of the shows promoter that this guy is using their venue to commit fraud.

WOW! That moment you realized you've been HAD! I often identify flakes and run, but this guy is good. Over the last few years I've gotten two folders and a bowie from him. Just found them all at half the price on www.knivesranch.com . They are very nice knives, just not made by the Indian in West Texas. He gives you a card saying the steel is 540 and 550 high carbon, heated to 2400 deg. and folded 512 times. Here is a copy of the metal spec from Knife Ranch;

Damascus Blend

Our Damascus steel is forged out of the steel sheets of grade AISI 1075 and AISI 4340.

AISI 1075 is a high carbon steel that contains around 0.75% carbon. It is widely used to produce various types of springs and cutting tools.

AISI 4340 is a low carbon and high nickel steel alloy. It contains 1.65% – 2% Nickel, 0.7% - 0.9% Chromium and 0.3% to 0.4% Carbon.

Number of Layers

Initially a stack of 11 sheets of AISI 1075 & AISI 4340 is formed. The stack is then heated and hammer forged. The heating and beating process is repeated 4 times to get 176 layers of high quality Damascus steel.

Heat Treatment

Each blade is carefully heated to 1560 degree Fahrenheit, where after; it is oil quenched and tempered to achieve hardness above 56 on rock well scale.

One more thing, I searched his address, 909 North Graves Street
McKinney
TX 75069 on www.showmystreet.com , you can see his house with him (back view, looks like him...) in the driveway on street view, and on satalite view, guess what? No FORGING plant.... Not even a garage

I just ran into this character, Ed Mehler, at a Gun & Knife Show in Sulphur Springs, Tx. It was immediately obvious that his goods were cheap "Made in Pakistan" junk but I let him give his line of "custom made" BS just to hear it myself. After listening to his "knife maker expertise" I mentioned that I was a knife maker myself. That ended our conversation. Don't be taken in by this guy. He's no knife maker.

I wouldn't say they are cheap pakistan junk. a good amount of the pakistan knives are very well made (assuming you're not getting nails and other junk metal). but i do think someone needs to get this guy banned from shows and such.

I hate to say that I'm initially another one of his victims. I saw his display at the Bell County Gun show on the 10th of October 2015. I was swayed by his song and dance and bought 2 of the Pakistan products without doing research. I found this thread and realized my mistake looking up his online presence when I got home that day. I wen back on the 11th and got a full refund. He was agreeable because he probably didn't want a scene. I kept the refund transaction civil owing to the fact that the person I was most upset with was myself. The rub is that the knives themselves are not that bad... If he would accurately represent himself and his products, he'd probably do just fine.

Back