1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buying, Selling , Trading???

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Pokerpete, Apr 15, 2019.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I've read time and again how hard it is for new members to buy and sell here. I've been here a year now, and I've managed to do a lot of trading on the exchange. It has been a uniformly smooth and pleasant experience.

I do also participate in some of the forums, maybe that helps. But, I purchased two Buck FSO 100s within days of joining.

I'm sure that not everyone has the same experience as I have, but I have noticed that a lot of the complaints about how difficult this place is to break in to come from people with low post counts. Coming here to ask where else to go seems a little peevish.

Wilfred17 likes this.
  2. dug24

dug24

Jan 21, 2014
    I don't have a lot of posts and unfortunately only 2 feed backs even though I've purchased 5 knives here but I was still able to buy 2 Busse & kin, 2 Spyderco's and a custom knife. Keep at it and eventually the timing will be right.

bonky likes this.
  3. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Ante up @Pokerpete. Gotta pay to play.

I know several forums that don't require memberships to buy, but all of them require memberships to sell. Its so you have some skin in the game because people that are willing to put up are less likely to be an in and out player.
    You'll make back the $30 membership in the first sale compared to selling elsewhere. If you can afford an $1100 knife you can afford the $30 membership.

You don't have to be on the forum all day to participate and contribute. Everybody here has a life. Well most of us:rolleyes:. LOL. Surely there is a brand or maker represented that you're interested in that has threads to draw your interest, or start one of your own about one of your knives. Its really not that difficult.

If it doesn't appeal to you still, then you probably are better off going elsewhere. :cool:

bonky and SeppukuSamurai like this.
  4. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Participating on a forum in this day and age is incredible easy. Smartphones give us basically unlimited access to the internet. Drop in on your lunch break and see if there are any threads that catch your interest. Build up a bit of feedback. Buy a membership. Its all pretty easy stuff.

bonky likes this.
  5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    adding to that: it is not something that will or should happen instantly. Browse around in the forums that interest you(general knife discussion forum covers a lot of subjects). When you find a conversation that interests you or you can add to do so. Keep reading and learning also-you will never run out of things to learn here. Buying and selling is fun, but not where the real value of the forum is.

bonky likes this.
  6. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    If you have time to buy, sell, and complain about the rules you have time to otherwise contribute in, share in, and participate in discussions. The time you spent just now for example...

7. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I joined years ago and the first comment I heard was "think about buying a membership". The least expensive thing I've spent money on is the membership for the past few years. Also the best. I never thought about being new and it never became an issue. I asked questions, learned about types of knives I knew nothing about and generally just stayed. Interests have changed as have grails I've chased.

Stick around a while and read before you comment, lurk a bit, forget about being new and just dig into the forum a little.

8. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Lord! I have had no problem accumulating, at least.:confused:

9. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Did you leave the seller feedback?

10. TOMBSTONE

TOMBSTONE

Oct 31, 1998
    eBay

11. Pokerpete

Pokerpete

Nov 1, 2018
    Ok Guys thanks for all the help. From what I can gather ebay, reddit, USN.... not very good alternatives.
    So pretty much this is the best game in town. and that's pretty much what I was thinking anyway!
    Not a big deal really... I'll probably just get the gold membership. Its just a foreign idea to me to buy a membership on a forum.

bonky likes this.
  12. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Can't speak on reddit, but
    USN-you have to buy a membership to buy or sell on their exchange on top of the general membership + 30 day wait for new members to join the exchange.
    Ebay-cost for every transaction
    BF- by buying gold membership, besides being able to sell and helping on the forum(and gratification of doing so), you get private messages and get rid of the ads-likely more I can't think of right now. You will get your moneys worth IMO

13. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    This is the best place to buy or sell. Ebay will charge you 10% of your sale price on top of the Paypal fees and in many if the Facebook groups you get a lot of "I will take it" replies and then the buyers vanish or ask you to hold it a week till payday, then they vanish :)