Call for Charpy toughness samples

If Larrin Larrin doesn’t mind, it would be interesting! Remember cKc Knives made a pass round of a knife made in H13 steel and I think no one had complains about it?
Hmmm, want some H13?
I did not realise that the testing would extend to H11, and I do have access to H13.
I think one guy thought it was s90v! Do you have access to Chipper/Viking (A8mod) Steel also, T tower ?

Last edited:
We could test all of the known tuff steels in the whole world but we are interested in the toughness of cutlery steels.

In the cutting competition knives it is important to have sufficient toughness but also needs to have enough wear resistance to stay sharp throughout the competition.

Over my lifetime of knife making, the first thing any one asks is how long will it hold an edge?

It will be awesome when Larrin developes a knife steel with greater wear resistance than 10-V, more toughness than S-7, finer keenness than AEBL, and better corrosion resistance than 304, but we’re not quite there yet.

Hoss

I will keep the H13 for other projects, but there is an offcut section.
I will ask the boss tomorrow if there is any Chipper is in it.

And our Auckland branch has Vanadis 10 and Vanadis 23...
I have not used either for knives yet, so I might just get some :)
Man, you work at my candy shop!!!! Don’t mean to abuse, but can you get some Caldie pieces also?

I have asked them to send me a list of ALL their pieces of powder steels and tool steels, but Caldie is something that they have never being asked for.
I did ask already for Caldie and M390. ( which is Bohler's equivalent of CPM20CV, as used in the Spyderco Sustain ) :)

When I get the list, I will peruse it for candy... :)

I have asked them to send me a list of ALL their pieces of powder steels and tool steels, but Caldie is something that they have never being asked for.
I did ask already for Caldie and M390. ( which is Bohler's equivalent of CPM20CV, as used in the Spyderco Sustain ) :)

When I get the list, I will peruse it for candy... :)

I did m390 and 20cv already. They’ve been sent to DevinT for surface grinding.

I’ve been held up in generating the third batch of samples. I apologize for the delay. There’s been a lot going on in my neck of the woods. I went to heat treat some samples this weekend, but it’s time to refill the LN. My wife totaled my truck this winter, so I have to borrow a truck this week to get it refilled. I should be back at it this weekend. I’ve got the 8670 ready, but will hold on to it until I get a few more samples done to minimize waste in shipping.

Back