Caly 3.5.....HUGE disappointment!!!!!!!

Hi Slimman,

Sorry for your huge disappointment. Naturally we would prefer to see the knife before it's tampered with, especially the edge., If the knife was new with a factory edge, we can tell. If the knife had cut anything or was sharpened, perhaps incorrectly, we can also tell. Hard to tell much once someone else tried to "fix" it. You can still send it if for us to make you happy.

sal

Joe.........you start off your post commenting that you don't know me, but try to give people the benefit of the doubt....but then go on to critique my whole post. You are right, you don't know me, or the knife in question, yet you seem to feel ok with taking shots at my character. I may have been venting a little but I don't nit pick nor do I exaggerate. The knife was sub par. Period. Anyone who handled this knife would agree.
The knife has been pretty well cleaned up so I don't have a picture of its original condition. Thankfully I don't need one because your approval is not important to me.
Here is an interesting I post I came across last night.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?138717-Spyderco-Caly-3.5-Review.-A-Christmas-Tale.

Sal, I appreciate the response. Thank you!!
My brother who was the on that purchased the knife for me has been in contact with the seller. He has explained the issues and they have agreed to send out a replacement.

I was pretty pleased with my caly 3.5.
Yes, some lock backs can be a bit gritty out of the box, to me that is a non issue. a little bit of oil and problem solved.
Yes, most of the lock backs I have had have had a slight amount of vertical blade play, however I have yet to have a spyderco with enough blade play to affect it's functionality. Again, for me it is a non issue, but I realize that to some folks it could be.
I can understand OP getting upset about spending 120 dollhairs on a knife and not having it meet his expectations, but all he had to do was send it in to spyderco instead of sensationalizing the issue. I have yet to be disappointed with spyderco's customer service.

Last edited:
Joe.........you start off your post commenting that you don't know me, but try to give people the benefit of the doubt....but then go on to critique my whole post. You are right, you don't know me, or the knife in question, yet you seem to feel ok with taking shots at my character. I may have been venting a little but I don't nit pick nor do I exaggerate. The knife was sub par. Period. Anyone who handled this knife would agree.
The knife has been pretty well cleaned up so I don't have a picture of its original condition. Thankfully I don't need one because your approval is not important to me.
Here is an interesting I post I came across last night.

You know you have the right to do whatever the owners of this place will tolerate. Don't think you can go for max drama without someone pointing out the humor in it though. It is a public forum after all.

I'm all for resolving problems. I don't see the reason to do it with the maximum drama possible though. It's not needed, and not really respected by most of us regulars, to tell you the truth.

Please don't try to make yourself into some kind of a martyr for getting jumped on by the mean old fanboys for daring to speak badly of Spyderco. We both know that's not the case.

Joe

Joe.......I am fine with that. You think I am dramatic. I think you are ignorant. Enough said.

Sal, I appreciate the response. Thank you!!
My brother who was the on that purchased the knife for me has been in contact with the seller. He has explained the issues and they have agreed to send out a replacement.

Sounds to me like the seller tried to dump a used/returned knife on your brother. I guess the idea is if the customer doesn't complain, they're rid of it. Kudos that they at least replaced it, but they'll probably send it off to someone else now. You can see how this could snowball.

Last edited:
My caly 3.5 came gritty but after a month of carrying it around, it's the smoothest lock back folder i ever owned. Qutie a few people have mentioned about the poor fit and finish of the caly 3.5, and i've the same experience...
But for a knife to arrive that blunt- i doubt Spyderco made that mistake.

Guys, take a deep breath and relax. I buy, sell and trade knives constantly and like everyone else I have my favorites but I can tell you this, bad examples of knives slip through QC from EVERY manufacturer. I have a (brand name withheld) that cost me around $700. I had to send it back the first day I received it to get the frame lock fixed and loc-tite added to the pivot screw. Sure, it's a little frustrating to buy a new blade and have some issues BUT when dealing with reputable folks like Spyderco, Kershaw, and a whole slew of others, they have your back. They want to keep their customers happy. Give them the chance first before venting then if you're not satisfied, vent away. One of my favorite folders I own now; the ZT 0550 came out of the box as sharp as a jellyfish, check the video out on my review: http://centavogear.blogspot.com/2012/10/zero-tolerance-0550-2nd-gen-hinderer.html I didn't sweat it a bit, I knew ZT had my back if I couldn't tweak it to my liking. With just a few swipes with the trusty lansky, it was hair splitting sharp and has become one of my favorites. Spyderco and Sal have ALWAYS been very standup folks in this community and always take care of their customers. Sal has earned the respect of just about everyone here and for me personally, he (and his company's CS) is the reason, they are one of my favorite manufacturers; that and they produce some GREAT knives :)

"if a person has a problem to contact the maker or dealer first. If you are not happy by the result then by all means post on the forums, but give the maker a chance to correct it first."

"Give them the chance first before venting then if you're not satisfied, vent away."

I see no reason why someone must first go to customer service and see if they get a knife repaired/replaced before coming to the forum and telling us of a problem with a knife that they purchased. QC is part of the process of getting a knife into the market and if they're falling down on the job occasionally, potential purchasers should know about it. Having to get a problem resolved by customer service before it can be used, would affect my thoughts about purchasing any knife.

If customer service does their job and resolves the issues, it's only fair if the buyer comes back and tells us about it. But I want the information about the problems and the resolution. Both are important to a knife buying decision.

I ordered one which will be arriving by the 6th. I'll let you know how mine arrives.

If customer service does their job and resolves the issues, it's only fair if the buyer comes back and tells us about it. But I want the information about the problems and the resolution. Both are important to a knife buying decisi

I too want to hear about potential problems with the line as some might affect me as a Spyderco collector for 20 something years and well over a hundred knives.

A good, accurate, complete explanation with pictures if possible can help others decide if they too have the same problem, or if they had it and can share their experience getting a resolution can be helpful for all.

Shrill exaggerations overflowing with drama as if penned by a gaggle of prepubescent girls really doesn't seem to get much accomplished other than to try peoples patience and in no way helps anyone find a resolution to their problem.

Problem solving 101 notes, amongst other things that problems are easier to solve without emotions and drama in any event.

:)
Joe.......I am fine with that. You think I am dramatic. I think you are ignorant. Enough said.

Do your parents allow you to use, and handle knives unsupervised? They shouldn't if so. I have no problems with little girls using knives when supervised but that's the only time they should be in possession of a knife. In fact, you shouldn't be hanging out on forums with adults while unsupervised either.

Joe

I too want to hear about potential problems with the line as some might affect me as a Spyderco collector for 20 something years and well over a hundred knives.

A good, accurate, complete explanation with pictures if possible can help others decide if they too have the same problem, or if they had it and can share their experience getting a resolution can be helpful for all.

Shrill exaggerations overflowing with drama as if penned by a gaggle of prepubescent girls really doesn't seem to get much accomplished other than to try peoples patience and in no way helps anyone find a resolution to their problem.

Problem solving 101 notes, amongst other things that problems are easier to solve without emotions and drama in any event.

:)

Do your parents allow you to use, and handle knives unsupervised? They shouldn't if so. I have no problems with little girls using knives when supervised but that's the only time they should be in possession of a knife. In fact, you shouldn't be hanging out on forums with adults while unsupervised either.

Joe

Joe...again, you think I am dramatic, whatever. In my original post you seem to take a strong stance against me claiming I am exaggerating the condition of the knife, when in fact you have never met me OR seen/handled the knife in question. You have no real information to make a stand either way, yet you go off running your mouth. That is ignorance! Why do you insist on carrying on like an infant?

Last edited:
Joe...again, you think I am dramatic, whatever. In my original post you seem to take a strong stance against me claiming I am exaggerating the condition of the knife, when in fact you have never met me OR seen/handled the knife in question. You have no real information to make a stand either way, yet you go off running your mouth. That is ignorance! Why do you insist on carrying on like an infant?

you honestly can't admit to the blatant exaggeration used in the original post?

for a so called spyderco fan you sure had no problem creating a thread with obvious drama seeking intentions..

like others have mentioned, every so often a lemon can and will slip through.

it's not a common occurrence for a company like spyderco so i'm confused as to why you would even go public with this before contacting them.

then, post a thread about the issue and whatever resolution that the warranty dept. offered (which we all know is top notch).

it's certainly not fair to jeopardize a companies rep with threads like this (before seeking rectification).

Just Lock the thread, despite voiding the warranty Sal is still willing to take care of you. Happy ending.

We prefer not to lock threads. We trust that our "gang" will monitor themselves.

sal

I've found that the grittiness on opening comes from a burr around the skeletonized liners on my 3.5s, both vg10 and sb. Once that's knocked off, it's all gravy.

I just received I believe my 57th Spyderco today, and with the exception of a couple of Byrd knives (Which I guess aren't truely Spydercos anyway), I have never received one that wasn't almost perfect. A small amount of grittyness happens from time to time, but usually works it's way out with time and use. I've never gotten one with any significant blade play in any direction, and my Spydies have ALWAYS come sharp. I'd guess that the OP received a knife that has been tampered with in some fashion.

Back