Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

This "set" was not expensive:), but the knives were decently made, and attractive with the nicely jigged and dyed handles, and stainless blades. I could not pass it up! It looks nice hanging in my den/office, but I am tempted to close up the knives to relieve the springs!:eek: What would you do??o_O
Display 1.JPG Display 2.jpg

This "set" was not expensive:), but the knives were decently made, and attractive with the nicely jigged and dyed handles, and stainless blades. I could not pass it up! It looks nice hanging in my den/office, but I am tempted to close up the knives to relieve the springs!:eek: What would you do??o_O
View attachment 1118426 View attachment 1118427

I like that, it is a nice display. If they were mine I would leave them opened in the display since it looks so nice. :)

Do the blades still have snap left, after being opened like that for so long?

I think that set looks fabulous!
I too would likely be thinking the same... to leave them displayed as is, or to close them. Me being so anal, I would likely close them... But darn, they look so well displayed the way they are... UGH! :)

PS.
I have read that coil springs, like in firearm box magazines, don't get affected by being compressed or in decompressed state. Supposedly it's the continual compression and decompression that causes them to eventually weaken. Don't know if this would hold true with flat backsprings on a slipjoint. Even so, I would relieve them, because my brain can't wrap around the idea that it's okay if I don't, lol! ;)

Last edited:
What would you do??o_O

Charlie, if you’re fretting about it you should just let me take it off your hands for ya:D

While I don’t have anything displayed like that I’ve often wondered what I would do. I did buy a 34OT that I closed the blades on but it just sits on top of the metal box, it wasn’t a display case. I suppose you could always make something that went overtop of the blue forms that would let you display them closed. Then if you ever sold the display it would still be the original display. Just my thoughts.

66164452-2376-4-DE0-AE00-50706-C8-E3-D18.jpg

I just opened and closed them before I snapped the pictures, and the walk and talk was fine on all blades. They have been in there for years, but I will always worry slightly. I think I will close them, if for nothing more than to make my life simpler!!:confused:

Take a nice photo of the set with blades open, and frame an 8x10 to hang on the wall. Leave the knives closed and put away to preserve for posterity.

Here's a great addition to the delrin era collection that I received today. 4" 861 slim stockman, this one in particular would have been made after dropping the walden name around 1973 only to be discontinued in 1975. A variant of this pattern lived on for a little longer in the form of the 61OT.

It is in just about perfect condition with factory edges and no signs of use, and I got it for a bargain. :D

IMG_4246.JPG IMG_4247.JPG

Back