Camillus factory on fire!

are they worth something or are they junk??

I really don't know. I haven't bought any and don't have any plans to do so. Perhaps Phil or another former Camillus employee has examined them and knows more about them than I. Personally, if I felt the need to own another Camillus knife, that is what I would buy, not an Acme. But to each his own.

Absolutely heartbreaking to see it destroyed like that.:(

The factory is currently burning.
Some of that wood has been soaking up oils for 100 years.
I hope the firefighters stay safe.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/stubborn_fire_still_burning_at.html

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=859156#.URlup6X3BFQ

A sad end indeed.

I'm 48 years old and I have had Camillus knives since I was a young teenager. I have bought quite a few since they closed and I will be a collector of Camillus knives the rest of my life . I have had the CUDA disk slider made with the AUS 8 in Japan I think and it was also a very good knife and I have given two of them as gifts to family members recently, they are a great deal for the cost. I currently have a USA made CU2SL which is my favorite. I just bought another one today thats new in the box so I'm selling my used one to help pay for the new in box one.:D

This is a very sad event. But it's better than it quietly dismantled.
I liked the idea about the vikings funeral.

I'm 48 years old and I have had Camillus knives since I was a young teenager. I have bought quite a few since they closed and I will be a collector of Camillus knives the rest of my life . I have had the CUDA disk slider made with the AUS 8 in Japan I think and it was also a very good knife and I have given two of them as gifts to family members recently, they are a great deal for the cost. I currently have a USA made CU2SL which is my favorite. I just bought another one today thats new in the box so I'm selling my used one to help pay for the new in box one.:D

NOT made in Japan!

A friend of mine has the first quick opener that they had mad. brand new in the box. it was made in china. aus8 steel. it also comes with the screws to change the pocket clip so a left handed person can carry it. he has a price tag of $60.00 on it. is it worth that much?? if so then I may buy it from him.

To the guys who walked the floors, sad day to see the place you labored with craftsmanship and pride close and now burn. I can only say look at it as a viking funeral....300Bucks

^^^ This... and the knives you made live on.

A friend of mine has the first quick opener that they had mad. brand new in the box. it was made in china. aus8 steel. it also comes with the screws to change the pocket clip so a left handed person can carry it. he has a price tag of $60.00 on it. is it worth that much?? if so then I may buy it from him.

$29.97 on Amazon!
Also, AUS-8A is NOT available in China; it may be a steel of similar chemistry made in China, but it is likely NOT Japanese (real) AUS-8A.

ok on the side of the blade it says aus 8 steel. I saw it there. what about twain made??

A lot of knives made in China are marked 440 (or even 440C). Some will say that 8Cr13MoV is chemically similar to 440A.
Just because something is written on a blade, does not make it so.

Of course this is just my opinion; I could be wrong.

I live in Marcellus, NY about 6-7 miles away and drive by this site daily on my way to work. So sad to see. I am a transplanted Californian and have come to love this area. Several times I have searched for a pocket knife from Camillus Cutlery I might use for fishing. Found it yesterday: "Babe" Ruth signature pocket knife 9056F model in near mint condition, don't know why but had to have it at $136. I collect old baseball books and memorabilia and was astonished to find rich history this knife had to my collecting passion. This knife will now go in my collection cabinet and join my other Ruth collectibles. I was glad to see the Fire Department was fortunate enough to keep the administration building next door to the factory saved! For the last several days there has constantly been people outside the site and I am certain many either worked there or had family that worked there in the past. Hoping they can cherish the memories they have. After viewing the PDF posted by Tom Williams my focus will now center on finding "Hack" Wilson knife 9055F if it is out there. So much wonderful information on this site! Very thankful to be able to read much of this information.

Frank Dickey

I live in Marcellus ... and drive by this site daily ... and have come to love this area.

Found along that scenic stretch of road is some of the best trout fishing waters in New York State.

After viewing the PDF posted by Tom Williams ... much wonderful information on this site!

Mr. Williams generously contributes to this Forum and his posts alone make my basic membership worth every cent!

Back