1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Camp Daisho - sheath pg.2

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SBranson, Oct 7, 2012.

1. SBranson

SBranson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 29, 2006
    A "Daisho" is a Japanese term derived from the terms "daitō" (long sword) and "shōtō" (short sword).

Here is a matched pair of camp style knives in a loosely Japanese theme hence the title.

The larger knife has a 10 1/8" blade and is 15 3/4" overall. The long handle reminiscent of the Japanese theme.
    The short knife has a 4 3/8" blade and is 8 7/8" overall.

Both blades are W2 and the fittings are wrought iron. Epoxied hemp wrap on aged white oak with a peined copper pin serving as "neji-menuki", both pin and decoration.

I am thinking of a combination sheath in a cross draw, kind of furthering the theme.

Thanks for looking.

PS.As an aside, the clay on the blades were the same but this goes to show how much the geometry and thickness of the material can affect the hamon. When the results are happening in less than a couple seconds, it's not hard to imagine how difficult it is to compensate for all the variables. Instructive. Actually on the larger blade, in a more utsuri effect you can make out the similar pattern, which you can kind of see in the first photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. SBranson

SBranson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 29, 2006

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Too nice, as always.........OUTSTANDING my friend!

4. John White

John White

Jun 23, 2007
    Such a treat every time Stuart posts up another outstanding adventure.

Love the oak handles and that Camp blade shape.

Stuart, thanks for the look at the camp guard. Great job!

John

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. SBranson

Oct 29, 2006
    Thanks!! Here's a detail of the guard on the larger knife.

[​IMG]

6. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Thats an awesome pair of blades!

7. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    That is a gorgeous pair Stuart, your combination of materials is always very refreshing. :thumbup:

8. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    There is no apsect of these knives that I don't like. I'm looking forward to seeing the sheath setup.

9. TCurry

TCurry

Dec 29, 2010
    Love everything about both!

10. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Very cool

11. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    In a word...YES!

12. chad2

chad2

Sep 2, 2011
    those are awesome i love the design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Fantastic set Stuart! The big blade has a Fogg-ish look to it that I find very appealing.

14. Mike Quesenberry

Mike Quesenberry

Jun 2, 2009
    Elegant and rustic. Hard to combine both, but flawlessly executed. Beautiful work as always, Stuart. Can't wait to see the sheaths.

15. ScottRoush

ScottRoush KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2010
    Very nice Stuart... great combinations of colors and textures.

16. canineforge

canineforge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Really like the results, Stuart! Nice design, enjoy seeing them paired up.

- Joe

17. Calhoon

Calhoon Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Sweet Stuart! It's always a big deal to me when you post up...:D

18. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I especially enjoy how the blade on the big knife swells toward the tip, and how the little one doesn't that much.
    Fantastic set my man- yet another stellar effort on your part.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  19. Kyle Royer

Kyle Royer

Dec 6, 2006
    Very cool! Great hamons and those handles look nice and I bet that hemp wrap gives some great grip too!

20. SBranson

Oct 29, 2006
    Thanks very much for the comments. I really appreciate it.