1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camp Nessie - let's seem them!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by _Westy_, Jun 5, 2016.

1. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    I just got the Coffee Bag Burlap Nessie a few weeks ago. I only had a chance to fondle it a few times before sending it off to Nix Leather for a sheath. My other Nessie is one of my favorite Fiddlebacks, and one of my favorite users. However, I have come to understand that although bombproof, the 3/16" O1 might be a little bit thicker that what I want. I have put a great edge on the knife and am happy with the performance, but think a thinner blade might be a better fit for how I use the knife. With that in mind, I think I am really going to love the 5/32" A2 on the Coffee Bag Burlap Nessie... I'll probably end up doing a review of the two knives later.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Picked up my Camel Thorn Camp Nessie today and I can't say enough how well executed this knife is and how good the CT finishes. Can't get a sheath soon enough for this beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comprehensivist and Lady1911 like this.
  3. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    That is an amazing knife.

4. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Thanks! I really need to figure something out for a sheath quick so I can take it out this weekend. If need be I'm sure I can pull something together to at least carry the knife in my pack.

5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    duct tape & cardboard

6. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Glad to see this thread still alive and well.

Southern Gent - that Camp Nessie is absolutely stunning! I too get to get some leather for mine. Last Fall things were hectic and I never did get leather inbound to carry mine. I did come up with a couple other solutions to at least get it out camping but a belt sheath is must.

ncrockclimb - I like the loose of both of yours but that A2 Coffeebag version is killer. Nice work on the lanyards as well.

7. SA Condor

SA Condor

Mar 10, 2014
    Well, it's been a while. I should have posted this some time ago, but late is better then never! I've finally joined the Camp Nessie club!

So, how many of you have got a new knife and had that gut feeling of, "this is smaller then I thought it would be"?

Well, that was how I felt when I finally got my Camp Nessie in hand. I know I have big hands, but this is kinda ridiculous! I still love the knife. It's 5/32" SFT with a Rustic Wrap handle. Just a fine workhorse of a knife . . . But it's so teeny tiny!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I reached out to the fine folks at the Forge and asked if they made a Camp Muck for people with REALLY big hands and they were able to make the Granddaddy of all Camp Mucks in 5/32" TT with Burlap scales. Now THIS is what I'm talking about!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful spalting

[​IMG]

Okay okay, who am I kidding! There's NO such thing as a Granddaddy Camp Muck! But there is such thing as a Micro Camp Muck! Phillip aka Vance gifted me the Rustic Wrap Micro Camp Muck at a recent visit to the Forge. Thank you sir for such an amazing gift! It was given to me because I lost my favorite and most used Fiddleback. The Runt that I got when we adopted our little girl.

So here is my regular sized Camp Muck with it's itty bitty counterpart the Micro Camp Muck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Andy! Thanks Phillip! The Micro Camp Muck has been riding in my pocket getting EDC use since my visit to the Forge. What an awesome little knife! And the regular Camp Muck? Well, there's not much I can add to the conversatiop. It's already established as an awesome knife!

Fiddleback and Bmurray like this.
  8. delkhouri

delkhouri Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    We need to revive this thread..... The Camp Nessie is really interesting to me.

9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    im waiting on a 3/16" for myself

10. delkhouri

delkhouri Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    I know that each fiddleback model varies slightly from knife to knife...... but from pictures it seems that the Camp Muk tends to vary even more. An example is NUTRAMAC posted a picture today of his black bolster oreo burlap collection that has three Camp Muks in it and the bottom two (O1's?) seem to have longer handles than the top (A2).

Link to pic:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-collections.1159392/page-71#post-17832981

Another example i found is in the attached pic: Top in A2 seems smaller in blade stature and handle length than bottom in O1

So my question is this just a matter of camera angle or were the camp muks in O1 larger than the ones in A2?

Attached Files:

11. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    i believe the current "Camp Muk" pattern says "Camp Nessie III" on it.
    so...there might have been some pattern changes over the years

12. NUTRAMAC

NUTRAMAC Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 8, 2014
    I will take some comparison pictures.
    The Nessie is one of my favorite designs.

13. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    The only nessmuk I have right now is a thin 3/32” Big Chris that I got from @ndmiller. It was part of the group buy. This was my first nessmuk and I can honestly say there’s not a better skinner design out there. I let Adam use it to skin his buck and he raved about how the design worked so well and better than any other knife we tried. I need to find a 1/8” or 3/32” Fiddleback version in AEB-L, @Fiddleback

@VANCE and I prepped chili at trackrock and he had another custom nessmuk (don’t remember the maker) and it excelled here as well.

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    @Bmurray
    got it right here
    [​IMG]

i love Nessmuk's

Bmurray likes this.
  15. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Nice I forgot I do have one from my buddy Nick Allen, NWA knives.

16. prom52

prom52 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Resting on a bed of Palm Flowers:

[​IMG]

17. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    I've haven't been on the forum lately but I had a few minutes to check in tonight and on the 1st page of threads is my Camp Nessie thread I start - glad to see it revived!

Odaon and VANCE like this.
  18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    welcome back