Camp Nessie - let's seem them!

I just got the Coffee Bag Burlap Nessie a few weeks ago. I only had a chance to fondle it a few times before sending it off to Nix Leather for a sheath. My other Nessie is one of my favorite Fiddlebacks, and one of my favorite users. However, I have come to understand that although bombproof, the 3/16" O1 might be a little bit thicker that what I want. I have put a great edge on the knife and am happy with the performance, but think a thinner blade might be a better fit for how I use the knife. With that in mind, I think I am really going to love the 5/32" A2 on the Coffee Bag Burlap Nessie... I'll probably end up doing a review of the two knives later.

jEurw2R.jpg
[/IMG]

Picked up my Camel Thorn Camp Nessie today and I can't say enough how well executed this knife is and how good the CT finishes. Can't get a sheath soon enough for this beauty.

223aaf55574006c6318887c76357eb02.jpg

5a15932d780454da10d2aded063170ac.jpg

8cc3a2087e197fd2c6642bbdfe5fd719.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see this thread still alive and well.

Southern Gent - that Camp Nessie is absolutely stunning! I too get to get some leather for mine. Last Fall things were hectic and I never did get leather inbound to carry mine. I did come up with a couple other solutions to at least get it out camping but a belt sheath is must.

ncrockclimb - I like the loose of both of yours but that A2 Coffeebag version is killer. Nice work on the lanyards as well.

Well, it's been a while. I should have posted this some time ago, but late is better then never! I've finally joined the Camp Nessie club!

So, how many of you have got a new knife and had that gut feeling of, "this is smaller then I thought it would be"?

Well, that was how I felt when I finally got my Camp Nessie in hand. I know I have big hands, but this is kinda ridiculous! I still love the knife. It's 5/32" SFT with a Rustic Wrap handle. Just a fine workhorse of a knife . . . But it's so teeny tiny!

IMG_2760_zpsn63emwry.jpg

IMG_2759_zpsr9d6gpox.jpg

So I reached out to the fine folks at the Forge and asked if they made a Camp Muck for people with REALLY big hands and they were able to make the Granddaddy of all Camp Mucks in 5/32" TT with Burlap scales. Now THIS is what I'm talking about!

IMG_2765_zpshh08dge4.jpg

IMG_2764_zps7fcvoe7k.jpg

Beautiful spalting

IMG_2763_zps4rmrrtqz.jpg

Okay okay, who am I kidding! There's NO such thing as a Granddaddy Camp Muck! But there is such thing as a Micro Camp Muck! Phillip aka Vance gifted me the Rustic Wrap Micro Camp Muck at a recent visit to the Forge. Thank you sir for such an amazing gift! It was given to me because I lost my favorite and most used Fiddleback. The Runt that I got when we adopted our little girl.

So here is my regular sized Camp Muck with it's itty bitty counterpart the Micro Camp Muck!

IMG_2762_zpsp5jw0rbn.jpg

IMG_2761_zpsho7ytnt2.jpg

IMG_2766_zpsxvs4anre.jpg

Thanks Andy! Thanks Phillip! The Micro Camp Muck has been riding in my pocket getting EDC use since my visit to the Forge. What an awesome little knife! And the regular Camp Muck? Well, there's not much I can add to the conversatiop. It's already established as an awesome knife!

I know that each fiddleback model varies slightly from knife to knife...... but from pictures it seems that the Camp Muk tends to vary even more. An example is NUTRAMAC posted a picture today of his black bolster oreo burlap collection that has three Camp Muks in it and the bottom two (O1's?) seem to have longer handles than the top (A2).

Link to pic:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-collections.1159392/page-71#post-17832981

Another example i found is in the attached pic: Top in A2 seems smaller in blade stature and handle length than bottom in O1

So my question is this just a matter of camera angle or were the camp muks in O1 larger than the ones in A2?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15
I know that each fiddleback model varies slightly from knife to knife...... but from pictures it seems that the Camp Muk tends to vary even more. An example is NUTRAMAC posted a picture today of his black bolster oreo burlap collection that has three Camp Muks in it and the bottom two (O1's?) seem to have longer handles than the top (A2).

Link to pic:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-collections.1159392/page-71#post-17832981

Another example i found is in the attached pic: Top in A2 seems smaller in blade stature and handle length than bottom in O1

So my question is this just a matter of camera angle or were the camp muks in O1 larger than the ones in A2?
i believe the current "Camp Muk" pattern says "Camp Nessie III" on it.
so...there might have been some pattern changes over the years

Link to pic:

I will take some comparison pictures.
The Nessie is one of my favorite designs.

The only nessmuk I have right now is a thin 3/32” Big Chris that I got from @ndmiller. It was part of the group buy. This was my first nessmuk and I can honestly say there’s not a better skinner design out there. I let Adam use it to skin his buck and he raved about how the design worked so well and better than any other knife we tried. I need to find a 1/8” or 3/32” Fiddleback version in AEB-L, @Fiddleback

VANCE VANCE and I prepped chili at trackrock and he had another custom nessmuk (don’t remember the maker) and it excelled here as well.

Nice I forgot I do have one from my buddy Nick Allen, NWA knives.

I've haven't been on the forum lately but I had a few minutes to check in tonight and on the 1st page of threads is my Camp Nessie thread I start - glad to see it revived!

Back